Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Changes to tactical overlay to improve performances  (Read 1690 times)

miljan

• Commander
    • View Profile
Changes to tactical overlay to improve performances
« on: November 28, 2014, 05:22:22 AM »

I noticed after playing with big fleets that will have a lot of ships on tactical screen, when I open the tactical overlay the FPS will get a huge hit. Normally part of it is because my comp is not great, but that is the only part where it gets down a lot.  My suggestion is to make the tactical overlay not be transparent anymore (maybe as a option), so the game doesnt render the background and the tactical  panel at the same time, if that is possible and not to much work.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Changes to tactical overlay to improve performances
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 07:19:10 AM »

Hmm, I haven't noticed anything like this, and I run 20+ ship fleets. I use a mid-line laptop.

That said, I'm not sure if I like or dislike the transparent tactical screen. Having an option to switch it sounds good, though.

miljan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 07:37:32 AM »

Well I am running a pure fighter fleet, so at the moment i have 38 ships in the fleet (vanilla game), and that is a lot of icons in the tactical panel  :).

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 02:11:14 PM »

I have used frigates swarms of 40+, and most of them have Swarmer SRMs (because they pass through other friendly frigates).  With no dedicated graphics card, so many ships and swarmer missiles have slowed my game down.  Slowdown is the lesser of two evils.  The other is max battle size of 200 DP; that will not do for epic fleet battles.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 06:00:46 AM »

Well, when I said 20 ships, I wasn't counting my 8-10 squadrons of fighters. :P