Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Stability  (Read 3304 times)

Oathseeker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Stability
« on: October 29, 2014, 07:30:30 AM »

Hey, I was just wondering if there were some stability upgrades to 0.65a.
You see, my computer crashes wafter about half an hour of playing any game. And it slows down to a crawl within 5 minutes whenever I play 0.62. But the 0.65 build I can play for over an hour without even a single fps drop.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
Re: Stability
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 08:16:23 AM »

Yes, Alex fixed several memory leaks and other disruptions with this new release.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 10:50:34 AM »

You see, my computer crashes wafter about half an hour of playing any game.

That sounds like overheating, or inadequate/aging PSU.

Though you don't specify if it's a laptop out desktop, so it's hard to be more precise.

Oathseeker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 01:59:04 PM »

Yes, Alex fixed several memory leaks and other disruptions with this new release.

Thanks, good to know. The previous build gave me a really bad time, crashed my computer a lot more then anything else I could do (including running games like mass effect 3). Didn't keep me from trying though :p

You see, my computer crashes wafter about half an hour of playing any game.

That sounds like overheating, or inadequate/aging PSU.

Though you don't specify if it's a laptop out desktop, so it's hard to be more precise.

Thanks, you're actually probably right on both accounts ;) But it's a super old laptop so not much to do about it. I'm saving up for a decent desktop. But wasn't looking for advice (though it's always appreciated), just wondering if it had something to do with the new build or if my computer randomly started working slightly less crapily ^^

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 04:24:23 PM »

overheating sucks, a few years into my new desktop i figured out the water pump stopped working entirely and it was just moving the heat off of the CPU. 98*C is just a bit hot.
if anything you could elevate the laptop off of whatever its sitting on, lets it vent a bit better. i used to lie down on my bed while using the laptop with it sat on a pillow, and it just overheated in a few minutes.  ::)

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 06:00:26 PM »

overheating sucks, a few years into my new desktop i figured out the water pump stopped working entirely and it was just moving the heat off of the CPU. 98*C is just a bit hot.
if anything you could elevate the laptop off of whatever its sitting on, lets it vent a bit better. i used to lie down on my bed while using the laptop with it sat on a pillow, and it just overheated in a few minutes.  ::)
A pillow... easily blocks the air intake (under the laptop or depending on model) and/or outtake vent.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 07:20:18 PM »

There's still a pretty big memory leak this patch.  It's hopefully be fixed with the next hotfix that will undoubted come in the next month or so, if it still follow procedure (but with an update that took 10 months, who can say Alex follows that procedure anymore?).
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 07:25:28 PM »

There's still a pretty big memory leak this patch.  It's hopefully be fixed with the next hotfix that will undoubted come in the next month or so, if it still follow procedure (but with an update that took 10 months, who can say Alex follows that procedure anymore?).

About that: have you seen any evidence of a memory leak, such as, say, the game slowing down/dropping its frame rate after a long play session? The issue has of being unable to load a save turned out to be a matter of not enough memory being allocated, without an actual leak. So, at this point, I'm not certain there is a leak.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 11:32:12 PM »

About that: have you seen any evidence of a memory leak, such as, say, the game slowing down/dropping its frame rate after a long play session? The issue has of being unable to load a save turned out to be a matter of not enough memory being allocated, without an actual leak. So, at this point, I'm not certain there is a leak.
My only slowdown I get is when I hit an area with LOTS of fleets on screen (like Sindria) Cuts my FPS down from 50-60 to 15 - 20
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 05:10:09 AM »

I haven't noticed any slowdown, with lots of fleets or long game sessions.

Oathseeker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 06:11:29 AM »

I haven't noticed any fps drops either, and that's coming from the person with what is, most likely, the worst pc out of anyone playing this game ;)

And yeah the overheating isn't new, I've done everything I can to combat the overheating for years. Unfortunaly my laptop is just so old that most likely, the heat makes some components swell slightly. Which makes them disconnect for a little bit, which then crashes/turns off my computer ;)
The overheating isn't really the problem, the fact that this thing is 10 years old is :p