Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Balancing Rural Polity  (Read 2231 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Balancing Rural Polity
« on: October 27, 2014, 05:58:27 PM »

Currently, Rural Polity causes increased food production while reducing consumption for domestic, luxury, and vice goods.

Except the description implies subsistence farming, not the kind of large-scale, highly mechanized farming that would lead to huge surpluses of food. Tartessus has Arid World as one of its market conditions, which is supposed to reduce food production, but it also has Rural Polity, and the tens of thousands of food the market has for sale clearly implies that Rural Polity is completely overrunning Arid World.

Therefore, I propose that Rural Polity, instead of increasing food production, reduces food consumption. This would more accurately reflect a dispersed subsistence farming culture and would hopefully get rid of the OP amounts of food worlds like Tartessus are producing.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
Re: Balancing Rural Polity
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 06:37:51 AM »

I also kind of like the idea. It adds a bit more of a... the sector can't sustain itself forever feel if there weren't massive stocks piles of food on certain planets.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Lord Sputnik

• Commander
  • "One Of Ours, Sir!" = Best ship name ever...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 11:53:18 AM »

You could just buy a storage warehouse on Tartessus, spend a few million on emptying their food stocks, wait for a food shortage event to happen, then sell it all back to them for massive XP and money.  I mean...  not that I've done this before...
ZeroGman

Self-proclaimed lord of Eos, lord of Magec, and lord of the dance.

SFF

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 06:15:03 AM »

Currently, Rural Polity causes increased food production while reducing consumption for domestic, luxury, and vice goods.

Except the description implies subsistence farming, not the kind of large-scale, highly mechanized farming that would lead to huge surpluses of food. Tartessus has Arid World as one of its market conditions, which is supposed to reduce food production, but it also has Rural Polity, and the tens of thousands of food the market has for sale clearly implies that Rural Polity is completely overrunning Arid World.

Therefore, I propose that Rural Polity, instead of increasing food production, reduces food consumption. This would more accurately reflect a dispersed subsistence farming culture and would hopefully get rid of the OP amounts of food worlds like Tartessus are producing.
That would make it worthless though gameplaywise no one would build that the cons would heavily outweigh the good. Besides the whole point is that your colony specializes in producing food and light industries at the cost of all technical industries, and it's not like your people are suddenly eating less due to a change in policy.

Siffrin

• Captain
  • Thermal Signature Detected
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 06:33:15 AM »

That would make it worthless though gameplaywise no one would build that the cons would heavily outweigh the good. Besides the whole point is that your colony specializes in producing food and light industries at the cost of all technical industries, and it's not like your people are suddenly eating less due to a change in policy.
I'm sorry but this thread is almost a decade old about a colony condition that is no longer in the game. (You can still enable it by going to "data\campaign\econ\eos.json" and removing the hashtag infront of the Rural Polity condition)
Gods most reckless Odyssey captain.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2024, 09:20:52 AM »

@SFF: Hi! Please don't necro threads, this one is 9+ years old. The forum rules, for reference.