Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Sinking ships  (Read 13179 times)

Luna

• Commander
  • Want some water?
    • View Profile
Re: Sinking ships
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2014, 05:07:04 PM »

Yeah, this would make a bit more sense then someone basically throwing a football at a big-ass battleship when it's critically damaged and then it blows to hell. I also think that little pew-pew plink-plink guns like the MG shouldn't be able to take large ships down... Imagine shooting at an actual ship with a pistol after it's been battered. It wouldn't suddenly go up, unless you hit something that would explode, but it might not even explode then. Unless the ammunition used was incendiary, but that doesn't help very much.

As was said before, I think that if you hit a large ship in one of the turrets with a "High Explosive" designation while it's in it's death "throws", the turret will explode and then you can't salvage that weapon. You'd probably only get scrap metal.

Speaking of scrap metal, I think you should get some from ships that have been damaged beyond repair, and also from a ship's debris when it is actually destroyed. Then you can sell it or smelt it at a station or whatever, and get some metal with a chance of rare metal.

You could also have ships dedicated to stripping scrap off of ships, it might make for a kinda cool scavenging mechanic. Also, if you decide to board ships who aren't completely boned, you could strip machinery and electronics. But if you board, there's a chance you could get ambushed and your crew could get killed.

Also, the idea of escape pods shooting off the ship would be cool if you could capture people after a battle if you win it.
Consider fully automatic Russian roulette

Punchclock

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2014, 07:54:29 PM »

Having vessels getting crippled to the point of being unfit for combat would be cool in addition to occasionally slowly blowing apart/obliterating itself like they do now would be pretty cool.  Maybe have suicidal captains try to keep fighting with the broken hulk as the rest of the crew abandons them.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2014, 01:28:31 AM »

Just thinking it might be possible to do something similar with mods. In theory what you'd do is have the ship regenerate a fraction of its health each frame up to a maximum of 1% per second for instance, that way any damage over 1% inside of a second would cause permanent death.

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2014, 09:16:25 PM »

If i go down I'm taking you with me!

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2014, 10:57:45 PM »

Perhaps once the ship is 'dead', i.e 0 Hull, it could begin losing combat readiness at a steady rate symbolizing crew abandoning ship and systems breaking apart inside the ship. Once the CR hits zero the ship detonates spectacularly as if the fuel cells had been hit or some such event. Hits from large weapons take off even more CR representing them striking critical systems within the ship itself speeding the process.

I just thought of this now... and I honestly think it's the easiest way to handle it, in battle CR reduction already exists in regards to frigates that have run out of peak performance time.

Furthermore this would be a great way of increasing the benefit of having higher skilled crew, the higher CR when entering a battle might give you the needed time to get that crippled ship to the edge of the map so it can be repaired. A good reflection of how a more experienced crew would be able to hold together a critically damaged ship.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 11:04:06 PM by Lucian Greymark »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2014, 02:06:35 AM »

If i go down I'm taking you with me!
*BOOM!*
"AHHHHHHHH!!!"
Perhaps once the ship is 'dead', i.e 0 Hull, it could begin losing combat readiness at a steady rate symbolizing crew abandoning ship and systems breaking apart inside the ship. Once the CR hits zero the ship detonates spectacularly as if the fuel cells had been hit or some such event. Hits from large weapons take off even more CR representing them striking critical systems within the ship itself speeding the process.

I just thought of this now... and I honestly think it's the easiest way to handle it, in battle CR reduction already exists in regards to frigates that have run out of peak performance time.

Furthermore this would be a great way of increasing the benefit of having higher skilled crew, the higher CR when entering a battle might give you the needed time to get that crippled ship to the edge of the map so it can be repaired. A good reflection of how a more experienced crew would be able to hold together a critically damaged ship.

Thoughts?
I like it and we already have  way to see how much CR they have!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2014, 04:58:18 AM »

Thoughts?

Like it, spontaneously.

Mh, problem with that is, it takes all randomness out of the sinking process and makes it perfectly predictable when a ship will explode. Other problem is that with high CR ships, it would take a relatively long time for any malfunctions to occur at all, making the supposedly defeated ship too dangerous.
I like other things about it though; that high CR keeps ships stable for longer and the natural connection between sinking CR and failing weapons/engines.

Maybe... if the CR would not drop continuously, but every secondary explosion takes a chunk of CR out? Then, when the interval between secondary explosions and the amount of CR it takes out would be random (within a certain range), we could have the best of both worlds. That is, 1) influence of CR on sinking time, 2)thus a way to estimate that time via the CR UI element, 3)a non-predictable final explosion, 4) the natural connection between low CR and failing weapons/engines... and as a bonus the secondary explosions would be more than mere optical effects.
The secondary explosion themselves could additionally take out nearby weapons/engines, like an EMP hit. That would deal with the "high CR ships stay fully functional for too long" problem.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2014, 05:34:02 AM »

I think it would be nice to mod something like that in, however at present I cannot stop the 'before hit' or 'apply damage' from disabling a ship.

Titann

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2014, 11:30:37 AM »

Something like this would be great;
Here

I hope this is right thread but meh, you guys talking about sinking,explosions...
Pages: 1 2 [3]