Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sinking ships  (Read 13153 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Sinking ships
« on: October 27, 2014, 12:42:59 PM »

Just a random thought: It's feels a little "gamey" how even a single little bullet can destroy a Battleship, if it was sufficiently damaged before.
It would be great to see capitals and cruiser "sink", meaning that when their HP is used up they don't immediately explode. Instead the gain a second HP bar (probably invisible) that runs out by itself within a short time span (which can shortened by continued hits). During that time there are secondary explosions and all engines and weapons malfunction one after the other. It all ends in a final explosion.

The image just seemed to cool in my mind, I had to share 0:)

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 12:52:44 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Sinking ships
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 12:49:36 PM »

Longer death throws? That could work for me.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 01:15:04 PM »

[Insert Mr. Torgue exclamations]

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 01:18:45 PM »

agreed, would also be nice if escape pods starts ejecting out of the hulk in the mean time

or if ships limp off the field while "sinking" are automatically repaired (to a certain extent) instead of being destroyed
mmm.... tartiflette

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 01:20:46 PM »

That would be great. It would also give the AI time to avoid explosions (if that's even a problem anymore)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 01:36:03 PM »

That would be great. It would also give the AI time to avoid explosions (if that's even a problem anymore)

I still lose frigates to these fairly often.

I would like this, but I don't think it needs a second bar to be shown (it seems a bit... gamey? I dunno). The mechanic of further shots making it explode faster (or right away, if enough, so I can imagine a torpedo still causing a gigantic explosion right away) is good, I just don't think it needs to be shown.

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 02:04:18 PM »

@Thaago he did mention that the bar would be invisible, I suspect he was mentioning it for a mechanics purpose rather than an aesthetic or ui one. As for me I'm all for this, though that said I also hesitate about it, many times I've been able to intercede between one of my heavily damaged ai ships and a larger enemy ship (Or just one that's outright winning) to prevent my other ship from being destroyed even on fairly low health. This would essentially mean that it dies anyway... which would suck. Perhaps this should happen once it's hull has hit zero, you can finish it off with a sufficiently large shot or it will start to sink.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 02:35:09 PM »

Hm, I see what you mean...

Perhaps after your hitpoints are depleted you start getting fires, EMP shorts, engine flameouts etc. but as you've said, no immediate boom.

At this point we say that the reactor is exposed or containment of the anti-matter field is unstable. Or maybe even the internal 'energy shields' are failing.

Now whether or not you get a final 'explode' depends on:
Alpha damage of each shot hitting the vessel
AND/OR
Cumulative damage recieved inside of a frame/second.

That is, your hitpoints are at zero, a stray MG isn't going to kill you...but lots of MGs doing say 500dps combined? yes that causes an explosion.

Or say you get hit by one big hellbore shot, definitely a big boom, a single small pulse laser shot won't.

Then a big boom

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 02:50:54 PM »

Ah, my bad! I should add that I like this as long as the target ship still can't fire after hitting 0 hp. Its "dead", just not exploded yet.

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 03:25:36 PM »

Definitely should stop shooting, or at least like 95% chance per mount that the weapon is disabled. I like the idea of the ship having a better chance at being salvaged if it escapes the battle before exploding. Like 75% chance of being recovered versus the standard 30%

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 04:36:12 PM »

Death throws would be cool.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 05:33:09 PM »

I like this! Going to put it in the same mental compartment as "ship hulks break up", but with an "easier to implement" marker.

(Also: it's "throes", not "throws".)

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 06:01:36 PM »

If you're going to consider implementing this, I'd suggest leaving the possibility for a big ship to go up quickly just to keep ship deaths a bit more varied.

On a less serious note:

(Also: it's "throes", not "throws".)
Nonsense. TJJ clearly wants a dying capital ship to reach out to a nearby frigate, grab it with a pseudopod, and throw it into a nearby vessel as a parting shot.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 06:09:46 PM »

Giving some randomness to the timer would be a good thing, yeah. I also like what it would do for the AI - as mentioned earlier, it would give it more of a chance to get out of the way and reduce the burden of properly predicting when something might blow up.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 06:29:15 PM »

Actually if you had some sort of timer...or...some sort of...state of near death...but not actual death. It would be very useful in another mod, BGE where we wanted to have biological resurrection so to speak...but yeah haven't seen that mod author in ages...RL in the way as usual.
Pages: [1] 2 3