Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: New music for Galatia Academy (06/12/24)

Author Topic: Automated Repair Unit needs a rework  (Read 2816 times)

Xaiier

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Automated Repair Unit needs a rework
« on: October 28, 2014, 10:38:23 PM »

I've been looking at the Automated Repair Unit and it doesn't seem to be a sensible hull mod in any case.

5/10/15/25 ordinance points
50% greater speed for fixing disabled engines/weapons in combat
50% greater speed of repairs and CR
50% more logistics usage
Unlocked at Damage Control level 5

The ordinance cost is quite high.
The greater speed of combat repairs is somewhat borderline helpful, but not enough.
The greater speed of repairs and CR is only useful in rare cases where you need to do a lot of combat frequently and can't return to a station.
The increased logistic usage is an extra negative to the already high ordinance cost.
The unlock is late, and is under a skill that is typically not trained first, so it likely won't be unlocked until late in the game.

In the end, I can't think of a single situation where it would be a good choice to use (if anyone knows of one, feel free to post), and so I think it should definitely be looked at to improve its worth or reduce its negative effects, to make it a more viable hull mod.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Automated Repair Unit needs a rework
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 12:53:10 AM »

Agreed, to compensate penalty as heavy as 50% more logistics usage, imho it should do something ridiculously powerful like restoring armor/health in combat (and stack with combat damage control 10 for higher max/speed of hull repair).

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 04:37:39 AM »

If it increased supply usage for repair/CR recovery but didn't affect the logistics rating at all (so your fleet size isn't affected) would it be at least somewhat worthwhile?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 09:20:14 AM »

If it increased supply usage for repair/CR recovery but didn't affect the logistics rating at all (so your fleet size isn't affected) would it be at least somewhat worthwhile?
For me, yes.

The extra Logistics cost kills the hullmod for me.  If I used the Dominator or Onslaught more, I could see myself toggling this right before a fight against a Paragon (with Tachyon Lances) or any enemy flagship with max Combat.  The best way to defend against damage to weapons and engines is to speed up repairs fast enough that damage no longer matters.  Flagship with both Damage Control 10 and Automated Repair Unit recovers very quickly.

I train Damage Control after I get Technology 7.  I get a bit careless sometimes and the reduced overload time is useful.  Eventually, Damage Control 10 is extremely useful for you... and enemy flagships!

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 10:26:25 AM »

This hullmod has never seemed all that useful. Maybe if I was a pirate it'd have a use but if I maintain just decent relations I'm never far from a place to repair. It costs way too much OP and has too many draw backs.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 10:45:46 AM »

Hm.  Question: does the current automated repair hullmod affect the overall cost of repairs?  From what's listed above, it looks like it might decrease cost of repairs by a third (since it increases speed, but doesn't list an increase in supply cost per unit time).  In which case, yes, I absolutely would install this hull mod (once unlocked, and assuming I had the ordnance points for it); I prefer to run with a relatively small fleet, so an increase in logistics footprint is absolutely worth decreasing the price of each battle.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 11:02:14 AM »

With the ARU, repairs cost the same (the supplies per day are increased by 50%), it just costs a ton of OP and significantly impacts the maximum size of your fleet.

Xaiier

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 12:29:54 PM »

My original presumption before reading the description carefully was that the ARU decreased the standard supply usage by 50% instead of boosting the logistics usage. Perhaps this could be a good change that would make it useful for its cost, and give it a niche role for long-distance cargo ships and etc. What do you guys think?

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 07:17:55 PM »

My original presumption before reading the description carefully was that the ARU decreased the standard supply usage by 50% instead of boosting the logistics usage. Perhaps this could be a good change that would make it useful for its cost, and give it a niche role for long-distance cargo ships and etc. What do you guys think?
Sounds like a suggestion for a new module rather than a rework of the Automated Repair Unit. Also, since the standard supply usage is crew-based rather than logistics-based, reducing the standard supply consumption suggests either reducing the crew numbers (e.g. with a Ship Systems Automation Unit or Drone Crew, reduces crew requirement by X%), a skill (Supply Rationing - cuts crew supply consumption by X% per level), or a skill perk (e.g. Crew Experience 7 - Supply Rationing: reduces crew supply consumption by X% - although Crew Experience 10 already halves crew requirements, which accomplishes the same thing).