Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Modding pirate spawn rate  (Read 2253 times)

Oathseeker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Modding pirate spawn rate
« on: October 26, 2014, 05:17:48 AM »

Hey modders,

In my experience modding communities usually have no patience for people who know nothing about modding, but I'm going to try my luck anyway: Is it possible for me, someone who knows little more about java then its name, to increase pirate spawn rates?
Either by simply increasing the amount of pirate fleets spawned, or possibly better for balance purposes and dynamic conflict, by making pirates spawn better fleets as their fleets die?
Because currently the only way to keep the game challanging after earning your first few million is by going to war with a bunch of factions. But that pretty much turns the game back into the old build where you just run around fighting *** with nothing else to do.

And before someone spends half an hour typing up a tutorial that involves a whole bunch of coding, know that a simple "No" is a perfectly acceptable answer ;)

Regards,
Oathseeker

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Modding pirate spawn rate
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 06:27:41 AM »

Look at it this way, almost all modders are struggling with the changes from 0.62 to 0.65, we've barely touched the surface of the new campaign and market changes and the respective API. Going to take us a while to figure these things out.

Oathseeker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 07:52:30 AM »

I was afraid of that. Was hoping perhaps there was just a single line I could edit in notepad++ or something. One can always hope right?
Thanks for the reply, and I'm vary much looking forward to all the awesome stuff you guys are going to (eventually) do with this new update! So much potential there :D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 10:14:58 PM »

If you change averagePatrolSpawnInterval in data/config/settings.json to a lower value, it'll speed up the rate at which new patrols and pirate fleets are spawned. But since they are all capped out per-market, it might not actually make a difference unless these fleets are frequently being destroyed.

Oathseeker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 04:18:29 AM »

Thanks Alex, I'll try that.
Though that might actually make the game easier, more weaker fleets to farm. Rather then more fleets to run away from ;)
I think I'll just leave the modding to the modders, the developing to the developers, and in the mean time go do a pirate playthrough with only smuggling alowed :D