Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Boarding. 0.65  (Read 7714 times)

gladius2metal

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Boarding. 0.65
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 02:05:48 PM »

I really dislike boarding... I got like 5 ships that are faster and better armed than a ship that "comes back to live", e.g., a freighter. I send marines (no hard docking) and the freighter gets away? Yeah, right my Medusa, Apogee and Hounds are just looking at the broken freighter as he flies away?

self destruct, too damaged or attack repelled are results I can say are "ok", but please no crippled ship should get away if I have one or more ships operational.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 11:28:32 PM »

As chances to board totally random it is even worse. No point in sending more crew\marines at all. Without improving chances to board from player all this boarding is just meaningless then. Why risk spending money hauling useless marines for days if random roll can kill any amount and possibly you ship as well.  The whole self-destruct mechanic is a crutch - totally wasted ship without power somehow self-destructs. I can understand crew sabotaged all systems beyond repair but self-destruct in already dead vessel.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 11:31:08 PM by Vind »

gladius2metal

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 05:36:44 AM »

the worst (and usually the stupidest) situation is, if a freighter (from a trade fleet you outnumber 3:1) comes "back alive" and the marines fail and it gets away... he gets away with his cargo WTF from a military force they just kicked the *** out of his fleet.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2014, 08:55:28 AM »

As chances to board totally random it is even worse. No point in sending more crew\marines at all. Without improving chances to board from player all this boarding is just meaningless then. Why risk spending money hauling useless marines for days if random roll can kill any amount and possibly you ship as well.  The whole self-destruct mechanic is a crutch - totally wasted ship without power somehow self-destructs. I can understand crew sabotaged all systems beyond repair but self-destruct in already dead vessel.

So i don't risk my elite troops or my ships. Disposable ship, disposable troops.

Jazwana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2014, 06:08:59 PM »

the worst (and usually the stupidest) situation is, if a freighter (from a trade fleet you outnumber 3:1) comes "back alive" and the marines fail and it gets away... he gets away with his cargo WTF from a military force they just kicked the *** out of his fleet.

Admiral Piett felt the same way  ::)  That hyperdrive was down!

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2014, 08:33:15 PM »

Well, you did choose for your ships to not engage the survivor, and you did choose to put your own forces in the way if you suddenly needed to engage the target. And what do you expect them to do with the cargo? Dump it out of the loading hatch? They've been working hard to restore power to enough of the ship's systems to get underway since they were disabled, they need the money those goods can buy them if they manage to escape, and dumping the stuff takes time that they probably didn't have to spare. And then you went ahead and gave them a perfect opportunity to run by launching a bunch of boarding pods that interfere with your fleet's ability to engage their ship without killing your own marines or crewmen.

The portion of your fleet that you didn't task to participate in the boarding operations is probably busy with the salvage operations anyways, and there's no reason to think that this occupation leaves your ships in excellent position to interdict an escaping freighter, especially when you told them to ignore it by choosing to not have those vessels participate in the boarding action. Those ships which you did choose to have participate in the boarding action have a bunch of boarding pods obscuring their target and preventing them from getting a good shot without risking hitting friendlies, and since you chose the boarding pods option rather than hard docking, the ships are holding off at a distance anyways.

Admiral Piett felt the same way  ::)  That hyperdrive was down!
I think that right around when the Falcon escaped, the recently promoted Admiral was more concerned with what Vader was doing and with whether or not he'd just earned the distinction of being Vader's shortest-lived immediate subordinate than with how unfair it is that the freighter got away.

The whole self-destruct mechanic is a crutch - totally wasted ship without power somehow self-destructs. I can understand crew sabotaged all systems beyond repair but self-destruct in already dead vessel.
But the ship isn't without power, is it? After all, that's what brought it to your attention - the ship's systems came back to life, and that's what attracted your attention and suggested that the ship might be worth boarding in the first place.

gladius2metal

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 02:22:19 AM »

Well, you did choose for your ships to not engage the survivor, and you did choose to put your own forces in the way if you suddenly needed to engage the target. And what do you expect them to do with the cargo? Dump it out of the loading hatch? They've been working hard to restore power to enough of the ship's systems to get underway since they were disabled, they need the money those goods can buy them if they manage to escape, and dumping the stuff takes time that they probably didn't have to spare. And then you went ahead and gave them a perfect opportunity to run by launching a bunch of boarding pods that interfere with your fleet's ability to engage their ship without killing your own marines or crewmen.

The portion of your fleet that you didn't task to participate in the boarding operations is probably busy with the salvage operations anyways, and there's no reason to think that this occupation leaves your ships in excellent position to interdict an escaping freighter, especially when you told them to ignore it by choosing to not have those vessels participate in the boarding action. Those ships which you did choose to have participate in the boarding action have a bunch of boarding pods obscuring their target and preventing them from getting a good shot without risking hitting friendlies, and since you chose the boarding pods option rather than hard docking, the ships are holding off at a distance anyways.

your logic is really convincing, nope it is just pure ***.

I have a total superior force: in numbers, in speed, in firepower, in crew training and also undamaged.

Then one ship of those wrecks comes back. I the commander of a total superior force decides: "I want that ship". Of course I tell all the other ships to do something else and move all other ships as far away as possible.

boarding isn't implemented right now, it is just random values. yeah, if you want to defend it, you can, but basically you are talking out of your ass, because the values for success are just simple dice rolls with constant probability chances.

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2014, 02:33:15 AM »

This a lot of speculation about intended function and now flaming, lol, but really it comes to boarding not being in it's complete state. I don't think Alex has really focused much on the boarding aspects because it's just not one of his priorities right now.

As boarding has always been pretty touch and go, I just avoid it, it's not a finished and polished portion of the game yet, that's all.

P.S. someone mentioned boarding shuttles, it was a pretty silly way to implement but the marine cannon from SPAZ was brilliant. Starsector is a bit more serious, but combat boarding does sound attractive if that ever appeals to Alex.

gladius2metal

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2014, 02:46:07 AM »

but really it comes to boarding not being in it's complete state.

affirmative!

Punchclock

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2014, 11:41:10 AM »

Never had a problem with boarding, logistic costs of marines are a problem especially with how easy it is to lose them if things go horribly wrong but other than that.

Also, it helps to use larger ships when boarding smaller ones, if not at least think about it, less likely to get blown up.
Pages: 1 [2]