Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Error Loading Save  (Read 13244 times)

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Error Loading Save
« on: October 22, 2014, 07:19:32 AM »

I have a game running right now that I can't save, or rather, I can't load any saves I make from it. Luckily I haven't lost my game yet since it returns to what I'm doing once the load fails, but I have hours of gameplay here, I don't want to lose them. Running the latest version, no mods.

Log:

12929465 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Loading E:\GAMES\Starsector\Starsector 0.6.5a-RC1\starsector-core\..\saves\save_Cyan_4296002784910845844...
12974979 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Error loading
12974979 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Java heap space
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
   at java.lang.StringBuffer.toString(Unknown Source)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.path.PathTracker.peekElement(PathTracker.java:133)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.path.PathTracker.getPath(PathTracker.java:169)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.ReferenceByXPathUnmarshaller.getCurrentReferenceK ey(ReferenceByXPathUnmarshaller.java:41)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.convert(AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.java:63)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnmarshaller.java:66)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.unma rshallField(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:355)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.doUn marshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:306)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.unma rshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:234)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convert(TreeUnmarshaller.java:72)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.convert(AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.java:65)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnmarshaller.java:66)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnmarshaller.java:50)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.AbstractCollectionConverter.rea dItem(AbstractCollectionConverter.java:71)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.MapConverter.putCurrentEntryInt oMap(MapConverter.java:89)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.MapConverter.populateMap(MapConverter.java:77)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.MapConverter.populateMap(MapConverter.java:71)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.MapConverter.unmarshal(MapConverter.java:66)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convert(TreeUnmarshaller.java:72)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.convert(AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.java:65)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.unma rshallField(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:355)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.doUn marshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:306)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.unma rshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:234)

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Error Loading Save
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 07:40:01 AM »

Not sure what's going on, but you could try the following as a temporary workaround for after you close the game.

1) Locate your Starsector installation folder, see if it has a "vmparams" file (with no extension) in it. If so, open it in a text editor of choice.
2) Locate the "-Xms512m -Xmx512m" part of the text, and change that to "-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m".
3) Save the edited file. Be sure that it's saving over the original file -- you may have to toggle showing file extensions to on if you're using Windows, see Google for specific steps.
4) Start the game and see if it loads the save.

Keep in mind that I can't guarantee this working, and it may well start messing up again at a later point in time once your new limits start being exceeded. Consider this a final thing to try, and maybe wait for Alex to reply first. :P

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 07:53:10 AM »

Apparently there's a mem leak somewhere in the latest patch.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 08:04:26 AM »

Ok I saved once more, close the game, increased the allotted memory as XpanD recommended and started the game again, the game thankfully loaded.

Hope this log helps Alex, it could eventually ruin someone elses playthrough.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 12:14:32 PM »

on the topic of being unable to load saves, i for one, can't load saves either, ANY save, i can start a new game at lvl 1, go back to main menu, and the game will stop working upon trying to load it.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 12:20:45 PM »

Ok I saved once more, close the game, increased the allotted memory as XpanD recommended and started the game again, the game thankfully loaded.

Hope this log helps Alex, it could eventually ruin someone elses playthrough.

Just FYI, I'm fairly sure a simple restart would be enough - no need to up the memory.

on the topic of being unable to load saves, i for one, can't load saves either, ANY save, i can start a new game at lvl 1, go back to main menu, and the game will stop working upon trying to load it.

Can you clarify what you mean by "can't load saves" and "will stop working"? Those don't tell me very much :) A stack trace would be helpful, as well.

What happens if you start a new game and then immediately press F9 to reload it?

Shield

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 01:45:23 PM »

Yeah I get the same thing as Valk, I cannot load any save at all, it gets to like 99 percent loading, then just hangs I let it sit about 15 mins once, then just said eff it and had to crtl+alt+del and manually close the game from task manager since it said the game was not responding, will try to get a log up for you.

Not using any mods either mind you as a heads up.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 01:55:39 PM »

That sounds different, as he's able to get back to the main menu, while for you, it just hangs. Right?

Could you try loading immediately after starting a new game, if you have a chance?

Shield

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 02:02:41 PM »

That sounds different, as he's able to get back to the main menu, while for you, it just hangs. Right?

Could you try loading immediately after starting a new game, if you have a chance?

Just tried it after looking at the previous posts and I still get a hang regardless of where I try to open a save.

Hangs after starting a new game and trying to load, Hangs if I try to load it from main menu too, so I just start a new game every time...heh

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 02:21:57 PM »

Ouch. What's your operating system?

Could you try with a squeaky-clean install? i.e. uninstall, then delete the Starsector folder, and the install?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 02:22:50 PM »

Also, the last couple of lines in the log - when it hangs - would be good to see.

Edit: might be worth a shot: setting compressSaveGameData to false in settings.json.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:35:50 PM by Alex »

Shield

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 03:05:02 PM »

Spoiler
31190 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [data/console/console_settings.json]
31193 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading CSV data from [DIRECTORY: D:\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\Console Commands]
31210 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading CSV data from [DIRECTORY: D:\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\Console Commands]
31211 [Thread-5] INFO  org.lazywizard.lazylib.LazyLib  - Running LazyLib v2.01 for Starsector 0.65a
31211 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [lazylib_settings.json]
31211 [Thread-5] INFO  org.lazywizard.lazylib.LazyLib  - Setting log level to WARN
31227 [Thread-5] WARN  com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore  - Description with id flarelauncher_fighter_SHIP_SYSTEM not found
31227 [Thread-5] WARN  com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore  - Description with id traveldrive_SHIP_SYSTEM not found
31227 [Thread-5] WARN  com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore  - Description with id inferniuminjector_SHIP_SYSTEM not found
31227 [Thread-5] WARN  com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore  - Description with id skimmer_drone_SHIP_SYSTEM not found
31228 [Thread-5] DEBUG com.fs.graphics.TextureLoader  - Loading [graphics/particlealpha32sq.png] as texture with id [fs.common/graphics/particlealpha32sq.png]
31229 [Thread-5] DEBUG com.fs.graphics.TextureLoader  - Loaded 188.01 MB of texture data so far
31229 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.graphics.TextureLoader  - Cleaned buffer for texture graphics/particlealpha32sq.png (using cast)
31340 [Thread-5] DEBUG com.fs.graphics.TextureLoader  - Loading [graphics/backgrounds/background4.jpg] as texture with id [graphics/backgrounds/background4.jpg]
34725 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Loading ..\\saves/save_scrybbles_7336793958673337232...
38539 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Finished loading
[close]

Win 7 64 bit I did also try a new install as well, I am not too worried about it I can always wait for a patch, but I did look at the log and it says finished loading but hangs every time.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 03:07:31 PM »

You should disable all mods.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 03:18:45 PM »

Hmm, that's a good point, as the log shows at least lazylib and the console are enabled.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 07:37:52 AM »

Aight, i can load saves, in windowed mode, the game "stops working" if i load a save, in fullscreen mode, so theres something odd going on there. no logs, nothing, game just dies.

perhaps this is a more accurate description of the problem?

EDIT: well, now it crashes in both windowed and fullscreen.. so i can't play at all.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 08:00:33 AM by ValkyriaL »
Pages: [1] 2 3