Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A couple of questions before purchase  (Read 2467 times)

mitthrawnuruodo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
A couple of questions before purchase
« on: March 21, 2015, 08:36:56 PM »

Absolutely love the idea of the game. But I have only a couple of questions before I take the plunge -

a. I despise twitch combat. Is there a convenient deliberate way (i.e. not a work-around but a choice) to play the battles as purely tactical strategy, and completely avoid twitch combat?

b. The part that I am most looking forward to is officers ("Hire officers to give skill bonuses, pilot auxiliary ships, and oversee your operations"). Combined with the fleet management aspect, this is what I think sets this game a class apart from any other space games. Given that officers is on top of the upcoming features list, is it expected to be implemented in the next big update?

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Re: A couple of questions before purchase
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 08:56:19 PM »

a. Capital ships are not very twitchy.  If you like that sort of playstyle, you'll want bigger ships as soon as you can afford them.  Frigates can get pretty twitchy, and unfortunately for you, you usually start in one.  The biggest you can get for a starting ship is a destroyer.  There are tactical commands, and you can play from the tactical map exclusively if you want, but ultimately optimal play involves piloting a ship between orders.

b. Officers are the next line-item to go into the game. Whether the next update will have them or not is unknown, but they're definitely going in before the other big features.

mitthrawnuruodo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 09:12:04 PM »

Thanks for the reply. So basically have to go through the twitch combat for a while till you get to big ships. Probably an acceptable sacrifice for a game so reasonably priced.

About officers, yeah thats what I meant by big update.

Xanderzoo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 09:14:24 PM »

You know, if you really want to skip the small ship portion of the game, you can use the Console Commands mod to give yourself enough credits to buy a big ship in the beginning.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 11:55:43 PM »

Thanks for the reply. So basically have to go through the twitch combat for a while till you get to big ships. Probably an acceptable sacrifice for a game so reasonably priced.

About officers, yeah thats what I meant by big update.
Once you get use to the game, you might want to try out the mod called Starsector+. One of the features for it is giving all enemy fleets Captains and flagships and the skills are re-balanced so that many of the give bonuses to the rest of the fleet as well. However, this means it is quite a bit harder
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 09:59:43 AM »

You don't actually have to do any piloting... just turn your ship over to auto-pilot and don't click/move anything, lol

mitthrawnuruodo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 10:44:03 AM »

Yup, I already bought it and loving it.

Actually this is not the kind of twitch gameplay that I was referring to anyway.

The slower pace and decoupled movement / aiming make it much more tactical. In this I dont even mind piloting a ship myself.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 08:22:19 PM »

Cool that its working out for you.

You should tell us your favorite ships and weapons after you've played the game some more. :)