Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: So, what do people think of the difficulty?  (Read 13990 times)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: So, what do people think of the difficulty?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 07:16:39 AM »

I cannot pursue enemies without sending relations to Vengeful, meaning less XP and loot if I want to shop at pirate bases.
Wait, you can't chase down fleeing enemies without putting them into a "we will pretty much hate you till the end of the universe" state? That seems completely wrong from both a game design and a believability perspective.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 10:06:07 AM »

If relationship is 75/100 hostile (easy after a few pirate battles), then pursuing the enemy will push it past 75 into 80, Vengeful.  With no way to build your own stuff, this hurts!

It seems like the game wants to push players into using a small fleets overall and single ship for combat (i.e., Combat/Technology munchkin-ery) if you want to fight because after a fleet gets big enough, only defense fleets will not run away (at least in previous version).

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 10:15:30 AM »

It should push most factions into vengeful (basically, you're not allowing them to retreat; you're just slaughtering them all and taking no prisoners), but it shouldn't push factions into vengeful if they are also predisposed to doing the same thing to you.  So the Hegemony should not pursue your ships unless they're already at vengeful with you, but Pirates should pursue your ships and they shouldn't give you a large reputation hit if you choose to do the same.

Just my opinion.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 10:19:09 AM »

If relationship is 75/100 hostile (easy after a few pirate battles), then pursuing the enemy will push it past 75 into 80, Vengeful.  With no way to build your own stuff, this hurts!

It seems like the game wants to push players into using a small fleets overall and single ship for combat (i.e., Combat/Technology munchkin-ery) if you want to fight because after a fleet gets big enough, only defense fleets will not run away (at least in previous version).

Well, it hurts, but it makes sense. You are chasing them down and slaughtering them all, it kind of makes sense they won't trade with you :P. There was an idea (yours?) of kicking them so much that they become "supressed" or something and will then trade/give you things.

If you have a fleet so large the enemy always runs away.... well it seems there isn't anything to do with that kind of fleet yet. But I was up to 2 destroyers, a carrier, 4 fighter wings, and 2 frigates and I still have plenty of medium sized fleets that wanted to fight (and die horribly). So I'm not sure where you're coming from with the single ship thing. Sure its not a large fleet, but there are plenty of bigger enemies left for me.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 10:38:14 AM »

I think I might have suggested the suppression/oppresion thing.

But overall I'd say the difficulty is ok, it can be a bit unforgiving at times, but also you can make great leaps in others. The enormous tarrifs and needing to run away from patrols looking to shake you down for your money just adds to that whole corrupt grim dark future setting.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 10:43:47 AM »

Mmm, the game seems really feast-or-famine now (like the complaints about v0.6).

The pathetic loot from battles, trade tariffs and reliance on fuel to travel on one hand, and the massive bounties on the other, mean that if you're stuck without any bounty or trade opportunities and have no liquid assets you can sell to tide you over, you're screwed. But like v0.6, this is mainly an issue if you get careless and blow all your savings (mine was a Condor and a Broadsword wing; ended up selling the fighters and almost had to do the same to the carrier as well till I managed to get lucky with bounties in Corvus). Conversely, a few good bounties or trade runs will leave you rolling in the dosh in fairly short order.

ahrenjb

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 10:56:12 AM »

I've been pretty happy with the difficulty level so far. As others have said, it's feast or famine, and I think that's the right feel for a universe like this one. Either you can take advantage of changing regional events and make a living, or you flounder around barely scraping by. The new reputation system also almost forces you to pick a side, which I kind of like. Somebody is going to hate you no matter what you do, so you had better choose some friends as well. I hadn't personally discovered the secret of profitable trade yet, but I didn't put that much energy into it either. It seems like to make money you really have to pay attention to events, and that's something I really like as well. Further, you can definitely make money on bounties, but you have to be paying attention, and if you kill too many pirates in Corvus, they start appearing less and less and the hunting ground goes dry.

I only have a few hours in so far, but so far I really like what I'm seeing. I don't really have any complaints, just looking forward to more content and mods being updated to support the new version.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 11:11:47 AM »

Well, it hurts, but it makes sense. You are chasing them down and slaughtering them all, it kind of makes sense they won't trade with you Tongue. There was an idea (yours?) of kicking them so much that they become "supressed" or something and will then trade/give you things.
Sure, but since loot is no longer enough to sustain the player's fleet, and the player cannot manufacture his own stuff, killing everyone seems no longer viable as was in the past.

Previously, when most battles became pursuit, I just auto-resolved most of them for quick-and-easy XP.

With more gameplay features trickling in, I want to be able to build up stuff and/or conquer assets so I no longer need any of the factions and can slaughter them all like a typical... arcade shmup.

Skyrage

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 11:37:59 AM »

Tariffs are overkill, making trade outside black market more or less completely and utterly pointless, much so even during special events. Seriously, 30% when buying and then another 30% when selling? Add to that all the other changes and I am finding this game somewhat hard to enjoy simply because I am fighting the difficulty.

I don't mind challenge but there is a huge difference between a game being challenging and overly punitive for absolutely no reason. This has become a bit too much of the latter.

Now, if there are future updates which will change these issues (e.g the industry skill branch) then the current game conditions are acceptable as you will then have a choice on how to deal with these challenges.

In the end I will want to have a game where I can choose to build up a huge armada after having overcome all these barriers in a challenging way without feeling that the game is intentionally trying to punish me for growing too big.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 11:49:09 AM »

Sky rage, there is penty of opportunity to be made, there was one I exploited per say and made my first million or so with ease. But I got bored of that and went back to bounty hunting because pew pew is more fun.

Just try to a avoid patrols and outrun them if you can, which again often isn't hard with navigation or augmented engines. Not sure what the distance is but you will shake off patrols. Anyway, yeah the current model seems to be feast and famine/ risk/reward as opposed to drip feeding you money with little tick or reward.

You can make money, loads of it, even despite the exorbitant tariffs and patrols. And if the buy and sell tariffs bother you, you can always buy and sell on the black market when you need to.

I don't think the current version/release,is really intended for properly enormous fleets, I think that will require industry. When that happens I'm going to be the biggest drug dealing PIMP in the sector.

frogbones

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 12:09:33 PM »

I like hard start outs and unforgiving results to my lack of preparedness, or rushed decisions.

Information overload I LOVE IT!  :D  I noticed changes right away in the intro screen (music!) with missile trails and other tid bits that make me....tingle.....

Only 2hrs in or so, but it is so nice to play with other details than just combat, combat, combat. I like the way fleets move. the first 1 1/2 hr. was just taking in the new content and reading everything. made a few poor moves and had to restart....LOVE IT.

engine  flame outs..... ::)  I will have to change my stratigem on how I go about fighting. LOVE IT

Fine job, FINE     JOB.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 12:51:05 PM »

Tariffs are overkill, making trade outside black market more or less completely and utterly pointless, much so even during special events. Seriously, 30% when buying and then another 30% when selling? Add to that all the other changes and I am finding this game somewhat hard to enjoy simply because I am fighting the difficulty.

I don't mind challenge but there is a huge difference between a game being challenging and overly punitive for absolutely no reason. This has become a bit too much of the latter.

Now, if there are future updates which will change these issues (e.g the industry skill branch) then the current game conditions are acceptable as you will then have a choice on how to deal with these challenges.

In the end I will want to have a game where I can choose to build up a huge armada after having overcome all these barriers in a challenging way without feeling that the game is intentionally trying to punish me for growing too big.

Trading without special events, like food shortages, or selling commodities where the place already makes them is going to be unprofitable - the game is designed to be like that.  You can make small profits if you buy things like Food from Jangala or Eos (those food-producing monsters that are the Ludd) and sell them to places that don't make their own food, like Volturn or Sindria (I believe).

But obviously, purchaing food at 50 credits apiece at Eos and selling them at a monstrous 420 credits at one of the best (the term "best" depends on your point of view ;)) food shortages is a no-brainer.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 07:05:19 PM »

Keep in mind the stuff we have now is the basis for being able to develop our own infrastructure/ industry in the future.  The game naturally encourages smaller fleets/single ships right now because it's difficult to support a big fleet relying solely on trading and bounty hunting.  This is actually a really good sign, because in the final game, it SHOULD be hard, indeed impossible, to support large scale operations with only the income of bounties and small trade runs.  Boba Fett shouldn't be able to run around with 2 onslaughts and a host of supportive vessels based on his solo work or  hunting lone bounties.  You ought to need developed industry, shipyards and so on, or fleets of Atlases tradig on a corporate scale to operate large fleets with multiple capital ships.  If you want to be a lone smuggler / bounty hunter type you should be able to play that role well and have fun within the logical limitations of that role.  Since we are limited to trader/smuggler/bounty hunter right now, it only makes sense that it is difficult to operate on any scale larger than that until more of the game is fleshed out.

Still, what we have now DOES work really well for operating on the lone smuggler / small trade fleet scale.  
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 07:07:06 PM by Commissar Krieg »

Namelessjake

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 07:26:46 PM »

I've only played a couple of hours so far, but I'm really liking the difficulty. I like the variation of going from a successful trade run to barely able to stay flying due to some disaster. It feels rather Firefly like in my opinion, which is never a bad thing.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2014, 09:01:47 PM »

Haha, these tariffs reminds me of real life. I once encountered a rate of around 15% when bringing in a shipment from overseas. It was almost double of what I was expecting it to be since it was considered to be a subclass in a category. It was quite a stiff lesson in checking customs and logistics expenses before commissioning a shipment.

There really are ~30% tariffs that exist for certain items, or at least in Canada. In the customs offices around Vancouver there is a machine in the waiting area that composes a sheet of information of what the shipment is and how much needs to be paid in tariffs. There is one in there that is 25%, but that's the only one I could find in there.

Here's a good link detailing roughly what the average tariff rates in the world are: http://www.wto.org/english/res_e/statis_e/statis_bis_e.htm?solution=WTO&path=/Dashboards/MAPS&file=Tariff.wcdf&bookmarkState={%22impl%22:%22client%22,%22params%22:{%22langParam%22:%22en%22}} What the hell are you doing Bahamas?

How you make a profit in the game through trade is a lot like how it's done in real life- not that I have ever been involved in, contacted, or know anything about the real life black market. You just need to find ways around these tariffs. For example a real life example, Hong Kong has a 0% tariff rate, one of the few places where this is true, and since it's attached to China you can ship things between them without any tariffs. You only have to pay tariffs in one country if the stuff is shipped to the port city first and then put on a boat/plane. Thaago early in the thread described a good way of getting around these things through the in-game black market and getting past one wall of tariffs.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4