Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ship retreating wrong direction on the map.  (Read 2745 times)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
Ship retreating wrong direction on the map.
« on: September 28, 2014, 03:48:41 PM »

So I was playtesting some stuff and the enemy started to retreat, everything was normal until I saw this...

Spoiler
[close]

That is an Enforcer at full burn retreating towards the south east corner of the map, it could not be targeted and who knows if it could be hit by anything as nothing was capable of intercepting it. Anyways, it did successfully withdraw when it left the map border.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ship retreating wrong direction on the map.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 04:07:50 PM »

Hmm. I'm just going to assume there are some modding-related shenanigans going on here - codewise, it looks nearly impossible otherwise, as a ship with travel drive on will always try to turn in the proper retreat direction. I can see this sort of thing maybe happening if a script decided to make it impossible for the ship to turn, one way or another.

TheBawkHawk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 04:26:43 PM »

Hmm. I'm just going to assume there are some modding-related shenanigans going on here - codewise, it looks nearly impossible otherwise, as a ship with travel drive on will always try to turn in the proper retreat direction. I can see this sort of thing maybe happening if a script decided to make it impossible for the ship to turn, one way or another.

Actually, I might know how this happened, as it happened to my piloted ship before. It may have hit a ship/asteroid while initiating full burn, and knocked off course. I ended up full-burning right into the enemy and dying, though.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 04:28:29 PM »

It'll keep trying to correct its course, though, so it wouldn't just keep flying in the wrong direction when nothing is in the way.

TheBawkHawk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 04:41:58 PM »

It'll keep trying to correct its course, though, so it wouldn't just keep flying in the wrong direction when nothing is in the way.

Hmm. Then I guess it was modding shenanigans, after all.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 04:46:27 PM »

It is possible one of my ship systems maybe have done "something" to it, but I did not notice it activate if it did. I am going to test this theory, I'll get back to you on this sometime.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 12:57:55 AM »

I had some similar occurrences shortly after the last big patch. I has knocked out the engines of a buffalo and burn-drove into it(with a dominator). The enemy had called a retreat and once it was far enough off the right edge it said it had retreated. Another time i had an enemy enforcer hit an asteroid and spin toward the nearby side. It would have righted it's trajectory eventually and gone off the top, but it was still traveling down as it escaped to the side. If the enemy can control themselves they seem to choose to go off the top edge, but sometimes they aren't in control and the sides seem to be acceptable escape paths.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.