Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bad performance with AMD  (Read 11404 times)

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Bad performance with AMD
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 10:33:21 PM »

It's a relief to hear I'm not the only one having this problem. And yes, it's only some of the newer cards that seem to be affected. I tried Minecraft the other day and while it seemed to perform okay, it wasn't really all that smooth either.

I contacted AMD and you can do the same. The more people with this issue come forward the sooner they're gonna fix it I reckon. AMD customer support form and AMD game support forum. It's also helpful to narrow the issue down as much as possible. Be sure to include the keywords OpenGL and Java.

Another point of interest would be Java versions. Do you guys run 32 or 64-bit Java? Do you replace the JRE folder with a custom one?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 10:35:29 PM by Schwartz »

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 11:57:36 PM »

6950 here, can't do the last hurrah without dropping down to under 40 fps at the peak of the battle, not sure if that's a problem or not
mmm.... tartiflette

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 03:59:18 AM »

It sounds fine, probably the CPU maxing out. You could check with HWiNFO if you're worried but you'd notice slowdowns in much smaller battles and that notorious 30 FPS frame limit instead of 60 with VSync on is also a thing.

Himntor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 12:07:31 PM »

Still having the problem after the patch. When no fleets on screen game runs smooth 60, but going near worlds with fleets around them drops down to 30 or below. 1v1 to 3v3 fights seem to work fine, but anything larger than 4v4 gets some major performance drops.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 12:22:14 PM »

Yeah, unfortunately I wouldn't expect that to change until AMD makes some changes in their drivers.

Lord Sputnik

• Commander
  • "One Of Ours, Sir!" = Best ship name ever...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 10:58:02 PM »

Kinda makes you miss the good ol' days before AMD bought ATI...

Disable Crossfire if you're using it, disable VSync, and overclocking doesn't help either so just don't.
ZeroGman

Self-proclaimed lord of Eos, lord of Magec, and lord of the dance.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2014, 11:14:03 PM »

This seems to be fixed for the latest version of the game. Or at least performance is way up. Anyone else?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2014, 12:25:31 AM »

Odd - didn't do anything that would change it; my guess is the change - whatever it is - happened on your end.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2014, 09:04:45 AM »

Okay, this is still weird. It runs a lot better now. The only things I changed were to link Starsector to my Java install on C:\ and to install an Intel SATA driver where previously I ran Microsoft's.. but disk access during battles is virtually zero!

Also, I'm seeing a lot of 'proper' FPS regulation and 0% Idle during battles while both CPU and GPU still have plenty of headroom left. This is different from before where it also showed a high Idle %. So at least it's using some measure of power now to give me better FPS, but how come it's 0% Idle when there is so much more headroom on all hardware fronts?

Same thing, different day? ;)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 09:08:49 AM by Schwartz »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2014, 10:54:17 AM »

... your system is haunted? I don't know, this is very odd.

0% idle could just mean that, say, the game is using up all of a single CPU core, in which case you'd still see some unused CPU in system monitoring, but the game would be using as much as it can, since combat is mostly single-threaded.

You might also see 0% idle if for some reason vsync isn't working - i.e. the game thinks it turned it on, but it's forced off in your video card settings.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2014, 12:28:49 PM »

I made a log with HWiNFO and it looks like this: CPU and GPU. During most of that it would report a 0-5% Idle and throttle FPS down from 60 to about 30 minimum. Also note that the GPU is still in a mid-power state, it goes up to 1070 MHz on high.

Whether I have VSync on or off in settings.json, the performance is now roughly identical and better than it used to be, which is good. The strategic view for example doesn't tank below 60 FPS anymore. I'm not expecting the mystery to resolve itself; I still think it may be an inefficient piece of code in the graphics driver. But anyway, thanks for the input.
Pages: 1 [2]