Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Ships explode right after deployment  (Read 1997 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Ships explode right after deployment
« on: September 21, 2014, 09:28:03 AM »

Bug or feature? Ships with very low HP explode instantly after they are deployed, during the burn phase. Happens especially with ships that were disabled and then repaired after an engagement. Happens to enemy fleets, too. 
I wasn't able yet to check the HP of the damaged ships before deployment, but they had a few days to repair, so it should not have been zero from the start, I believe. Also pretty sure it's not asteroid impacts.

I'm running Starsector+, in case that has anything to do with it.

By the way, if you're in a battle with a big fleet with generally low CR, the low CR warning for every single ship gets annoying quickly.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
Re: Ships explode right after deployment
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 09:40:33 AM »

ships take damage from things "malfunctioning" if they are very low on CR, meaning that they can die from it, they could also ram into an asteroid or hit another ship in the back, since you can't shield during the burn phase.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 09:44:10 AM »

Right, if CR is below 20%, IIRC, there's a chance of "critical" malfunctions that take out engines and weapons for the duration of the battle and deal hull damage. If you've got campaign help on, there's a popup that explains this when you try to deploy ships at critically low CR :)

Valhalla

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 09:56:23 AM »

Right, if CR is below 20%, IIRC, there's a chance of "critical" malfunctions that take out engines

This is beyond amusing when it happens in something like an onslaught and you get sent FLYING at 600+ and slam into the enemy, instantly overloading/killing them. I laughed so hard, the 'During Burn' engine malfunctions are the best.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 10:52:07 AM »

Ah, I wasn't aware critical malfunctions deal hull damage. Alright then :)

Uh, the AI doesn't seem to be aware of that either, though. Earlier I was a in a battle were a single Onslaught was deployed (in round two) against me and instantly exploded. Although since there's only a chance of those malfunctions, maybe it was a calculated risk?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 11:06:42 AM »

Uh, the AI doesn't seem to be aware of that either, though. Earlier I was a in a battle were a single Onslaught was deployed (in round two) against me and instantly exploded. Although since there's only a chance of those malfunctions, maybe it was a calculated risk?

Yeah - it considers the CR-related risk when deciding whether to fight or run away. If it decides to run away, it'll crash-mothball ships that are at critical malfunction risk, so they won't happen. If it decides to fight, it'll prefer to deploy lower-risk ships, but at some point, damn the torpedoes and all that. Just a question of not having good choices left at some point.