Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Save files are oddly difficult to delete  (Read 2693 times)

LB

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Save files are oddly difficult to delete
« on: September 07, 2014, 08:49:08 PM »

I'm finding it hard to believe that this problem could be Starsector-specific, but I've experienced it exclusively with Starsector files on different installs of Win7 across different hard drives, so perhaps it's worth a report.

When attempting to delete certain save folders, the OS delete dialog takes an inordinately long time to appear, sometimes over a minute. When trying to delete multiple save folders, sometimes the file manager will just hang indefinitely. Some save folders can be deleted normally, but I can't spot any pattern in the affected ones. Going into the affected folders and deleting each file individually usually works, although the delete dialog will still be slow (~20-30s) to appear for campaign.xml and campaign.xml.bak. Sometimes deleting the individual files causes a hang too.

Other large files unrelated to Starsector don't behave oddly.

As a side issue, starsector.exe will no longer start. Using starsector.bat to launch still works.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Save files are oddly difficult to delete
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 09:08:59 PM »

Windows 7 file explorer does certain checks of all files and folders before deleting. Try deleting files and folders from command prompt, this bypasses most of the checks.

Also a windows explorer issue, not a game bug.

LB

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 11:32:11 PM »

I also thought it was an explorer bug, but I generated a few dummy .xml files of similar size, and they didn't suffer any issues. Other large files also delete fine, and file attributes seem normal.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 03:54:45 AM »

I would use process explorer and process monitor from Microsofts Sysinternals suite to get better insight into what is occurring.

Combine that with windows performance monitoring and you'll have more solid information to conclude  what is happening with your OS. Also keep an eye on your anti-virus.

Starsector.exe generally doesn't stop working unless there has been alteration to the vmparams file to make it use more RAM. Try a clean install of SS.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 04:43:08 PM »

I'd suggest checking your file system for errors.