Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Starfarer Manual  (Read 44467 times)

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer Manual
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2012, 12:04:12 PM »

someone correct me if im wrong or add to if i forget something.. i believe it goes something like this

green. (penalty to accuracy) (penalty to ship travel speed) (penalty to ship combat speed)
regular. (normal accuracy) (normal ship travel speed) (normal combat speed)
veteran. (improved accuracy) (improved travel speed) (improved combat speed) (improved shield flux damage absorbed)
elite, (perfect accuracy) (max travel speed) (max combat speed) (max shield damage absorbed)
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2012, 04:18:36 PM »

someone correct me if im wrong or add to if i forget something.. i believe it goes something like this

green. (penalty to accuracy) (penalty to ship travel speed) (penalty to ship combat speed)
veteran. (improved accuracy) (improved travel speed) (improved combat speed) (improved shield flux damage absorbed)
elite, (perfect accuracy) (max travel speed) (max combat speed) (max shield damage absorbed)

I think they reduce Flux costs of things and ship Turn-Rate as well.  And repair speed after a battle.  Also, it may be just the "Accuracy", but more experienced crews have much, MUCH better auto-fire aim.

Not sure if they affect the AI of a ship, but it very well could.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2012, 04:40:22 PM »

This is correct - also affects hull/armor damage taken, too, but that's it at the moment.

vmxa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2012, 06:30:41 AM »

We need a wiki with some of these useful data drops.

Krelian

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2012, 08:32:15 AM »

Reading the manual I got a question::
Goal: Attack
The fleet engages in an all-out attack. Penalty to starting fleet points to represent relative lack of
organization. Retreating ships will move to the nearest edge of the map, and may be captured by
the enemy after the battle if the battle is lost.

To win, the enemy fleet must be routed - this can either mean total destruction, or capturing all
the objectives and then mopping up the enemy's deployed ships. Enemy ships will also retreat if
damaged too badly

Goal: Defend

The fleet is either holding ground or cautiously advancing on the enemy. Bonus to starting fleet
to reflect good organization. Retreating ships will move to the starting edge of the map, and
are unlikely to be captured if the battle is lost, to represent an orderly retreat..

To win, the enemy fleet must be routed - this can either mean total destruction, or capturing all
the objectives and then mopping up the enemy's deployed ships. Enemy ships will also retreat if
damaged too badly.

The Teal text is identical in both cases.

So basically, the difference betwen the two, is what happens if you actually retreat. So if my objetive is to damage and destroy an inferior enemy fleet, Im actually better selecting "Defend" than "Attack" ?
That's a bit un-intuitive :s

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2012, 08:47:07 AM »

If you are fighting a fleet that is trying to get away from you, you will want to "Attack". If you hit "Defend", the enemy could go with the "Escape" option and there would be no engagement, plus they would get a temporary speed bonus in sector space. I think I remember someone calling it a Rock-Paper-Scissors kind of setup.

Krelian

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2012, 08:49:41 AM »

ahhh there is the catch! The manual didnt explain the Defend vs Escape results in no combat.

Thanks for the aclaration

vorpal+5

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2012, 06:38:08 AM »

Can we get more details on armor absorption?

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2012, 07:25:25 AM »

Can we get more details on armor absorption?

Does this answer your question, at least a little bit?

It's a little involved. Don't have the code in front of me, but each armor "cell" has roughly 1/8th of the armor rating worth of hitpoints. Damage reduction is based on a contribution from nearby cells - not just adjacent, a bit farther than that, though the farther off cells contibute less. What armor rating means is how much damage to armor you need to do (after reducton), shooting at a single point, before any damage at all gets through to the hull.

The actual formula is:
actual damage = base damage * base damage / (armor value + base damage)

The actual damage is then applied to armor cells contributing to the armor value, so subsequent hits to the same spot do more damage.

So a hit for 200 points of damage vs armor 200 will be reduced by 50%, and apply 100 points of damage to the armor. The next 200 point hit to the same cell will be reduced by 33% - 200 * 200 / (200 + 100).

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

vorpal+5

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2012, 11:12:25 PM »

Totally yes! I run a bit excel to see what it led too! Oh my, with a good armor, against fire doing little per hit, you can really absorb a lot of damages!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2012, 08:13:31 PM »

An addendum to the above: armor can't reduce damage below 25% of its after-the-damage-type-modifiers-are-applied value.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2012, 09:35:16 PM »

is there something to tell me how to get more command points so i can get a bigger fleet?

Sengbvit

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2012, 05:06:54 AM »

At the moment, I'm pretty sure the only way to do so is to edit the save file in notepad/Wordpad. Here's the method that worked for me when the fleet size cap started to become a nuisance. Posting the quote here for posterity.

I don't understand the confusion about this issue, as I had the exact same problem earlier and found a similar topic that had the solution buried deep in it amongst a lot of half-cocked speculation.

The solution is simple:

1. Go to the folder starfarer/saves/save_(name of your character)_numbers
2. Open up campaign.xml with Notepad (Make a backup of the file first if you want)
3. Ctrl + F, search for "maxfleetpoints>100.0". Do this TWICE, with the option under direction set to "down" (the first entry does not control the player's maximum fleet size, the second/last entry does). If you did this step correctly, you should be near the bottom of the file. This number directly corresponds to your maximum fleet points in the campaign map.
4. Change the number to whatever you like, e.g. maxfleetpoints>200.0, save the file, run the game.

Voila
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]