Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Version Checker v2.0b (released 2020-08-28)  (Read 367162 times)

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Version Checker v2.0 (released 2019-03-19)
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2019, 09:22:34 AM »

Outdated mods can cause problems, especially when combined with other mods like in a Nexerelin setup.
They are not outdated when I put them. And I can check if they are by myself thank you very much.,

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2019, 08:48:42 AM »

@LazyWizard What are your thoughts with adding a CompatibleWith property that is a version number field to better show when there are breaking changes and that you probably don't want to upgrade unless you know what your doing?   Could use pattern matching like '3.*' to match all 3.X versions for example.

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2019, 11:07:31 AM »

Sounds needlessly complicated.

Just adding a simple integer field, and then increasing it by 1 when and only when you break comp, achieves the same result without any glob or pattern matching.
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2019, 11:02:02 PM »

Both of those solutions are unworkable due to well, the chance of every modder changing their versioning system is exactly 0%.

Edit: To clarify not saying it is bad idea, but without universal adoption it would be of dubious help.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 11:23:02 PM by MesoTroniK »

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2020, 05:18:19 PM »

Important note for any modders that use Mercurial and Bitbucket for hosting their mod downloads or version files:

You've probably seen a warning about this if you've visited Bitbucket within the last few months, but just in case: Bitbucket has decided, in their infinite wisdom, to sunset Mercurial support on their platform. All existing Mercurial repositories, including issue tracking and downloads, will be deleted after June 1st. That means if you use Bitbucket and Mercurial for source control, even if it was just to create an empty repository to host your mod downloads/version files, you must either convert to git or another supported VCS, or move to another hosting platform, by the end of May.

Again, this will only affect you if you're using Mercurial. Git repositories are unaffected. You can check if you'll be affected by logging in to Bitbucket and visiting this page. Any repositories listed here must be converted before June or you'll lose everything. That includes copying any downloads you wish to keep over to your new repositories, as no conversion tool I've found will include them.

I've spent the last few hours converting a few dozen of my own repositories to git and moving them over to GitHub. GitHub has long since overtaken Bitbucket when it comes to the features available on their free plans, so it's what I would recommend if you're converting your repository anyway. GitHub's a lot less newbie-friendly, unfortunately, but since it's the most popular source hosting platform there are thousands of tutorials available online.

To move your repository from Bitbucket to GitHub, log in to GitHub and press the giant + on the top right, then Import Repository. Enter the base URL of your project (ex: https://bitbucket.org/LazyWizard/lazylib). GitHub will handle converting your repository from Mercurial to git for you. To move your downloads over, you'll have to tag a release (if you've made commits since your last release, click "Target: master" and switch from the branch tab to recent commits, then select the commit that represents your last release), then attach the mod zip so users can download it from the releases page. For .version file hosting, I recommend modifying your version file to link to the master copy in your master branch, then only pushing a .version file update when you've released an update.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 05:34:30 PM by LazyWizard »

plaidman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2020, 07:30:47 AM »

Hey, Love the mod. My work computer has a not-ideal certificate situation, so many requests over https don't pass certificate inspection. Is there a way you can put in an option to disable certificate checks in your mod?

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2020, 01:58:09 PM »

Hey, Love the mod. My work computer has a not-ideal certificate situation, so many requests over https don't pass certificate inspection. Is there a way you can put in an option to disable certificate checks in your mod?

It's possible, but not something I'm willing to do. I'd have to write my own trust manager that'd affect every network connection made by Starsector, which would mean disabling certificate validation for any future mods that connect to a network. Even as a hidden option this is a Bad Idea.

Though one question: if you're playing behind a locked down corporate network, how would this change help? Most mod downloads are hosted on the same sites the version files are, so even if Version Checker could see when there are updates available you wouldn't be able to download them in your browser.

If you're desperate, you could always go with the tried-and-true method of setting up an SSH tunnel to your home computer and directing all traffic through that. I take no responsibility if your IT staff catches this and you get fired.

plaidman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2020, 10:57:32 AM »

Everything else works fine. We're not disallowed from seeing the outside world from our network. The way it works for us is we take the external certs and replace them with different ones. Some of our software is OK with that, browsers have been configured to handle it just fine. Some of our other things we do require us to ignore SSL errors. (think the -K flag in a curl request).

If this mod/game is set up where modifying the request options would also modify them across the board, then your hesitation to make this change is understandable. Thanks for the consideration.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 11:08:49 AM by plaidman »

tindrli

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2020, 07:32:23 AM »

greetings , first of all thank you for making this incerdibly usefull mod.
now the question,
is it possible to force another update check ingame once it has been done already? sometimes i have issues with my internet connection and i receive update check failed so every time i need to close a game and start it again if i want to see if there are new update.

thanx in advance

dis astranagant

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2020, 12:52:08 AM »

The open page for all mods with updates button struggles with very large mod lists, opening about a dozen tabs and calling it a day when I have something like 20 mods to update.

runetrantor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2020, 02:13:44 PM »

Is this Bitbucket change the cause for many mods suddenly failing update checks?

Spoiler
Like this:
[close]

Or is it a problem on my end? Cause I admit I am a bit worried about it. Just restarted because last run stopped saving properly, so I want to be sure its not some corrupt install on my end before I start again.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2020, 02:44:56 PM »

I was just about to post a the same issue so I do not think it is you.

runetrantor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2020, 04:45:30 PM »

Are the same mods giving you an error, or others are? 
If they align then I guess the issue is in their online location.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2020, 07:23:52 PM »

No, those errors would be due to a hiccup in DR's site. When the Bitbucket change happens all the failed URLs will be either Bitbucket or AWS links.

And as one final reminder to the modders out there, on July 1* all Mercurial repositories on Bitbucket will be removed, even if you're only using the site for version file hosting and selected Mercurial when you created your repository. You can check if you'll be affected by visiting this page while logged in to Bitbucket.

* Deletion was originally scheduled for June 1, but the expiration was extended due to COVID. Procrastination pays off yet again!

Nameless

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2020, 12:27:12 PM »

I get those same error as well, was just about to ask about it.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10