Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Detachments, Uniform Fleet Speed, and Pocket Battleships  (Read 7987 times)

51ppycup

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Detachments, Uniform Fleet Speed, and Pocket Battleships
« on: February 16, 2012, 03:32:23 PM »

My first suggestion is to allow the player to flag fighters and frigate-class vessels as an interceptor/pursuit detachment.  This detachment would break off from the main body of the fleet and engage fleeing enemy fleets, as long as they fall within a certain maximum pursuit range.  Certain ship classes and modules could potentially extend this range.  When the interceptor detachment catches up to the enemy, battle is joined immediately.  Only ships which comprise the detachment are available immediately, and the main body of the fleet is placed in reserve.  Unlike normal reserve, the main body can't be called in as reinforcements until a variable amount of time has passed, the duration of which is a function of the size/speed of the main body and the distance it was from the detachment when battle was joined.

Another thought -- I don't see why a ship's size/mass should influence its maximum speed -- it should only affect its acceleration.  My second suggestion would be to make larger fleets with heavier ship classes simply take longer to achieve a uniform maximum speed -- a top speed which would be shared by fleets of any composition.  Small fleets of frigates should handle like sports cars, in that they should accelerate quickly to top speed and turn relatively fast.  Larger fleets should handle like an old Buick -- they should take longer to get going, and turn more slowly, but they should have about the same top speed.

I'd also love to see a new panzerschiff/"pocket battleship" class of ships that are faster than anything bigger, and outgun anything smaller.  These would be destroyer-sized hulls with large mounts instead of medium, low crew requirements and cargo capacity, and higher-than-average fuel capacity.

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Detachments, Uniform Fleet Speed, and Pocket Battleships
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 03:34:16 PM »

I'd also love to see a new panzerschiff/"pocket battleship" class of ships that are faster than anything bigger, and outgun anything smaller.  These would be destroyer-sized hulls with large mounts instead of medium, low crew requirements and cargo capacity, and higher-than-average fuel capacity.
its called battle cruiser...  >:(

51ppycup

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 03:37:36 PM »

That's not exactly what I had in mind.  If you want a historical precedent, check out the Deutchland-class ships of WWII: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutschland_class_cruiser

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 03:39:46 PM »

Well...he did say destroyer-sized hulls, the Starfarer Battle-cruisers are considerably larger than that.   I do love me some Battle-cruisers though.  :)  My problem with this is how on earth do you balance this sort of ship? Because a large destroyer type ship with multiple large mounts would be super powerful.  Hmm, tough one.
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 03:40:35 PM »

if u read the wiki u linked... it refers to em as heavily armed cruisers or hevy cruisers = battlecruisers  ;)
besides those are way bigger than destroyers of the same navy...
and considering most cruisers in the game have medium mounts not large ones... u cant balance having destroyer with several large guns... maby 1 without any other turrets or slots... and missing shield generators...  :D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 03:42:28 PM by SgtAlex86 »

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 03:45:17 PM »

if u read the wiki u linked... it refers to em as heavily armed cruisers or hevy cruisers = battlecruisers  ;)
and considering most cruisers in the game have medium mounts not large ones... u cant balance having destroyer with several large guns... maby 1 without any other turrets or slots... and missing shield generators...  :D

Yeah, that was sorta my thinking as well, balance wise.  Other than that I suppose you could make them VERY expensive, hmm, and let their rarity balance them out a little bit, because since 0.5 came out the price of the ships can be used to differentiate and balance them to some degree.  Sounds like Alex might be better served to just create a smallish cruiser that is really fast and has multiple large turrets, hmm.   ;D
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

51ppycup

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 03:50:29 PM »

I had originally thought of proposing cruiser-sized hulls, but I ended up saying destroyer because the size difference between cruisers and battleships in Starfarer is not as dramatic as what I'd want to see.  I guess a smaller cruiser-size hull would work :D

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 03:58:35 PM »

and what would u want to do with it? i mean using assault destroyer u can allready demolish all other destroyers and anything smaller...  :-\
with cruiser smaller than other cruisers u would do effectively same thing and still coullnt stand up against "real" cruisers  ???

51ppycup

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 04:09:28 PM »

You'd have a (smallish) cruiser-sized ship that would require a different playstyle.  It would have fewer guns than a typical cruiser, but being large mounts, they would also have longer range.  It would be faster than a standard cruiser, but also more fragile.  It's not really filling a critical niche so much as catering to a different strategy.

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 04:12:13 PM »

mmm anything u can fit to small cruiser u should be able to fit on real cruiser with increased numbers... its simple physics (well maby not lol)

51ppycup

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 04:16:49 PM »

mmm anything u can fit to small cruiser u should be able to fit on real cruiser with increased numbers... its simple physics (well maby not lol)

More guns = more mass = worse handling.  It should work out so that the pocket battleship has worse overall DPS than a standard cruiser, but in return you get longer range as well as a better ability to avoid incoming damage (rather than mitigating it via armor and/or shields).

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 04:18:27 PM »

u might get better speed but generally ud see same guns on some cruiser variants and get out gunned... but atleast u could run away  :-\

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 12:39:17 AM »

I'd also love to see a new panzerschiff/"pocket battleship" class of ships that are faster than anything bigger, and outgun anything smaller.

Isn't that true of all ships that have a direct combat role whatever the size?
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 05:36:16 AM »

I'd also love to see a new panzerschiff/"pocket battleship" class of ships that are faster than anything bigger, and outgun anything smaller.

Isn't that true of all ships that have a direct combat role whatever the size?
not necessarily u could take on support cruiser with assault destroyer no broblem because assault kit has higher dps but shorter range...  :D

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 07:08:11 AM »

Well yeah, but that wouldn't be a destroyer, frigate, fighter, corvette, cruisers, heavy cruisers, or even battleships if super ships are in the game. I included the term "direct combat" for this specific issue.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"