Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Trade & Smuggling  (Read 56988 times)

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
Re: Trade & Smuggling
« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2014, 07:11:44 AM »

It also depends on what you're trading,whether you're taking advantage of events, whether you're successfully avoiding tolls, etc etc.
I see that my question was quite vague... Well, we'll see when it is released. Thanks!

Seems something is changed with the UI window(the one you see when you approach a fleet). Doesn't it shows the fleet compositions anymore?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 07:15:11 AM by Aron0621 »

heskey30

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2014, 05:11:31 PM »

I'm not sure how much I like once per month scans (unless it's scan whenever, and tolls once a month), since you can go into a system, get scanned, then grab whatever contraband you want with no consequence

I'm not sure you ever *want* to get scanned; that's a lot of credits down the drain. But yeah, tweaking some things re: that.

A fairly straightforward solution might be to have fleets scan you at random but they only toll you once a month.

Actually, when you think about it, this exploit is not necessarily a bad thing. It makes sense that there might be a law that limits scans so that the hegemony can't just harass someone out of business. If the player can figure this out, or even better, hear about it in game at some point, then they can take advantage of the law to be a better smuggler. They will still get some reputation loss and stability loss so it isn't really cheating anyway.

Of course, we're all already in the know.  :P

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2014, 05:20:45 PM »

In this case, would it be possible to 'drag' a pirate fleet after you so you can 'avoid' getting searched by pure virtue of getting hounded by pirates,thus a hostile fleet? It's easy enough to match speed and to also adjust it mostly on the fly with mothballing and refitting.

Sure, why not? Sounds like a solid ploy to me :)

Also, since we're talking about inspection fleets (Customs Fleets?), can they never go hostile if your faction drops enough? I mean, if you get past hostile, would it not be possible to interact with them since they will auto attack? They should leave the fighting to any military/police units in the area if you ask me. ;p

They're regular patrols otherwise. If they're hostile, they won't bother trying to inspect you but will just attack instead. Or run away.

If i can still land on their planet/station, i should still interact normally with customs. Sure, they'll call in support after they search me, but i hope smuggling will not be hampered as such by everything of a faction auto-attacking once you drop past a certain faction point. We've been doing that in the campaign for the last few years already... :)

The blog post talks about it, but basically: factions will refuse to trade with you when you're hostile, but you can still make contact with the black market if your fleet is small enough to be inconspicuous.

Seems something is changed with the UI window(the one you see when you approach a fleet). Doesn't it shows the fleet compositions anymore?

You mean the portrait in the screenshot? That's just normal for when you've opened a comm link. The starting view still shows the fleets.

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2014, 10:26:08 PM »

Will there be a trade permit system that allows you to trade illegal goods legally to a faction if your relationship with them is high enough?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2014, 09:27:39 AM »

Not as of yet, though we'd talked about specifically this internally. It's one of those details that probably isn't warranted now, but might be useful later if it fits in nicely with something else that comes along.

However, if you're trading with the military, you'll be able to buy and sell some otherwise-illegal goods (i.e. hand weapons) that you wouldn't be able to trade in on the open market.

Luna

• Commander
  • Want some water?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 04, 2014, 04:29:29 PM »

God, I cannot wait for this update to come out. Not too excited about having to wait for all my mods to update though... Oh, well. I'll have this new stuff to play with! Also, I wish there was a system where you could actually officially join a faction's fleet, which means you have to stay with them for a few cycles, you get access to their ships-of-the-line (battleships/battlecruisers), you would be given orders and you could choose to follow them and stuff. As you rank up, you get more access to more free stuff, seeing as you can't really attack anyone but your enemies. Well, you could, but the other faction would declare war on your faction, and you would most likely be kicked. Also, dreadnoughts! Want. Want now. They could be like super-capital ships that you could launch frigates and light cruisers from, and when they dock, they could be slightly repaired in terms of armor and structural integrity. Also, don't you just hate it when you just run out of ammo for your Hephaestus Assault guns? You can reload partially there. It would add another level of strategy to a fight, and extend them. But dreadnoughts are super-capital ships. And super-expensive. And super-slow. So, they're really not that viable in battle, unless they have very long-range beam weaponry. Also, they should be really survivable.TM But, you ask, what if you outfit all of your guys with Reapers? That'd be really OP... hmm. Well, the same goes with cannon weaponry, I guess. Partially reloaded. Also, the amount ships can be repaired should depend on the dreadnought's combat readiness, which can go all the way up to 100%, even if your fleet is entirely composed of green crew. Which shouldn't happen if you can afford a dreadnought. Ooh! Another idea! Shields should have something like... lattice... uhh..... lattice integrity? I dunno, something fancy like that. In addition to having flux. The lattice integrity should degrade slowly when being subjected to enemy fire. Most of the damage should be translated into flux, but a portion of that damage is absorbed by the actual shield, reducing "lattice integrity." That can be recharged at the dreadnought too. There are different kinds of lattices, that can absorb different amounts, like lattices that can absorb a LOT overall, but not take that much damage per hit, but there are others for which the opposite is true. It depends of your play-style. More customization! Also! Completely utterly modular ships! Actually, that's probably hard to code. I'm not really a programmer, so I don't really know how hard it is to refit all your ship's modules, modules meaning how that ship's exterior looks, and how many weapons you can fit on it, what arcs they have, and what tier and type they are. Can also increase OP, but adds mass, decreasing overall speed. Take the Atlas' cargo pods. You can switch those out for 2 small weapon ports or 1 medium. It adds firepower, but reduces cargo space. This would be useful if you trade in an unstable system where pirates are everywhere. Adds more defense, reduces cargo, but you can still pull a profit because of the unstable market, and wildly differing prices. So, adding or switching around modules can create a design that is uniquely your own, especially if you make something crazy, mixing up Hegemony and Tri-Tachyon modules. Also, I want massive slots for dreadnought super weapons that can pop off a cruiser with a projectile that hits like a space truck. Well, maybe not that overpowered, but still pretty dang powerful. Speaking of dreadnoughts still, when they are destroyed, I want them to go super-critical in their reactors or something, exploding and destroying everything smaller then a cruiser and heavily EMPing and overloading everything that's bigger. And while everyone is drifting around, I want the yay that you hear when you headshot an Uggnoy (Grunt) in Halo to play a couple seconds after, because it'd be hilarious. Then the fight resumes. Anyways, I think that's all of my ideas. I'll check back in if I have anymore. Hope the update comes out soon! ;D
Consider fully automatic Russian roulette

JT

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 04, 2014, 04:58:23 PM »

God, I cannot wait for this update to come out. Not too excited about having to wait for all my mods to update though... Oh, well. I'll have this new stuff to play with! Also, I wish bork bork bork

That pretty much turned Swedish Chef right around the point I mentioned, as that was wayyyyy too massive to read and understand, especially since you actively disincentivised reading with a lack of paragraph breaks. =)

I will note however that Suggestions should go on the Suggestions board, one suggestion per topic, after you've searched for anything that has already been suggested.  I will also note that Suggestions are usually only considered if they are immediately relevant to the current development (e.g., right now, development is focused on, of course, trade and smuggling).  Third is that the Blog Post is oriented towards discussion of the feature in the blog post itself.

Welcome to the boards, though!

Luna

• Commander
  • Want some water?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2014, 12:33:18 PM »

Oops. Well, I don't really know much about Starsector's forums. Sorry. As for the mistakes with the paragraphs, I was kinda tried when I posted it, so forgive me for that. Also, thanks for telling me about the suggestions sub-forum! :)
Consider fully automatic Russian roulette

WhiteAvatar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2014, 02:57:57 AM »

Can't wait for this update to hit, keep up the good work Alex!  ;D

ps- not to forget dgbaumgart with the art too!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 03:00:12 AM by WhiteAvatar »

boogada

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2014, 03:03:50 PM »

Maybe call it would be more clear to call it a system/faction pilot license instead of a toll?  The way it's described in the blog post it sounds more like a license that can expire and has to be renewed than a toll.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2014, 04:33:54 PM »

Can't wait for this update to hit, keep up the good work Alex!  ;D

ps- not to forget dgbaumgart with the art too!

:)

Maybe call it would be more clear to call it a system/faction pilot license instead of a toll?  The way it's described in the blog post it sounds more like a license that can expire and has to be renewed than a toll.

I think toll fits conceptually; you not being bothered about it for a while is more of implementation detail than something the player is going to be directly exposed to. Calling it a license would open up a can of worms - the player would expect to see license status, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]