Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Trade & Smuggling  (Read 57263 times)

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Re: Trade & Smuggling
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2014, 05:03:44 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the entire game is already in an extended development-testing cycle already.

Modest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2014, 04:47:26 AM »

A question. Hypothetical situation: we have two planets that are economically dependent from each other, and so they trade a lot. This means there will be a lots of trading fleets flying betwen them. But it is not that they trade everything - they just trade some specifical goods betwen themselfs. Now, let's say I like to pirate stuf for profit. If I will attack, and succesfully destroy (disable) trade fleet, what loot will I get? So far we are getting lot's of credits, tons of supply, some fuel and a few weapons. Will it now change? Will we start getting as loot traded goods in described situation? Can we expect that trading goods to be mostly of same type that is being traded betwen said planets?

Also - I do remember that there are plans of making fighting with other fleets to be rather economical burden, than way to earn money. Now with addition of trade and smugling, we will get another way of earning credits. Will that influence loot obtained from defeting other fleets? Or is it still unafected in this update?

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2014, 05:53:56 AM »

Right now, the numbers/behaviors are all set the same, but they're adjustable per faction.

I very much hope that it is not just 'adjustable', but also can be adjusted inside the campaign at some specific conditions (becoming allies, buying a trading license, earning price drop off for some specific deeds and etc.)

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2014, 06:58:02 AM »

If I damage my reputation with one faction by smuggling, will this have an impact on my reputation with other factions? Particularly those that like the faction that suspects me of smuggling? For example, if the Sindrian Diktat and the Hegemony are on good terms, and I get caught (or am strongly suspected of) smuggling within Hegemony space, will my standing with the Sindrians fall?

Also, regarding the war bounties thing: perhaps you could require that a player purchase a privateering license before being able to earn a bounty on predominantly non-combat ships of the faction against whom the bounty is being offered.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2014, 10:58:10 AM »

A question. Hypothetical situation: we have two planets that are economically dependent from each other, and so they trade a lot. This means there will be a lots of trading fleets flying betwen them. But it is not that they trade everything - they just trade some specifical goods betwen themselfs. Now, let's say I like to pirate stuf for profit. If I will attack, and succesfully destroy (disable) trade fleet, what loot will I get? So far we are getting lot's of credits, tons of supply, some fuel and a few weapons. Will it now change? Will we start getting as loot traded goods in described situation? Can we expect that trading goods to be mostly of same type that is being traded betwen said planets?

It keeps track of what's actually being traded/transported, and that factors into the salvage.

Also - I do remember that there are plans of making fighting with other fleets to be rather economical burden, than way to earn money. Now with addition of trade and smugling, we will get another way of earning credits. Will that influence loot obtained from defeting other fleets? Or is it still unafected in this update?

As I mentioned a couple of posts back, there's going to be an extensive balancing pass there. So, yes, it'll change, and likely a lot, but I can't say exactly how. The days of supply pinatas are most likely over, though.

Right now, the numbers/behaviors are all set the same, but they're adjustable per faction.

I very much hope that it is not just 'adjustable', but also can be adjusted inside the campaign at some specific conditions (becoming allies, buying a trading license, earning price drop off for some specific deeds and etc.)

Yeah, it's all moddable, with varying degrees of ease/difficulty. The tariff is a MutableStat (per market, with the possibility of adjusting it per-submarket). The customs inspection interaction is done in the way a mod would do it, and can be replaced wholesale (or adjusted, though that can be trickier depending on what aspect of it one wants to tweak).

If I damage my reputation with one faction by smuggling, will this have an impact on my reputation with other factions? Particularly those that like the faction that suspects me of smuggling? For example, if the Sindrian Diktat and the Hegemony are on good terms, and I get caught (or am strongly suspected of) smuggling within Hegemony space, will my standing with the Sindrians fall?

Not right now, no. Probably eventually.

Also, regarding the war bounties thing: perhaps you could require that a player purchase a privateering license before being able to earn a bounty on predominantly non-combat ships of the faction against whom the bounty is being offered.

Yeah, lots of ways to expand that :) Not going to be tempted into doing any of them for the next release! ... I hope.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2014, 12:09:03 PM »

As I mentioned a couple of posts back, there's going to be an extensive balancing pass there. So, yes, it'll change, and likely a lot, but I can't say exactly how. The days of supply pinatas are most likely over, though.
I think I'm gonna go cry in my corner now...
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2014, 12:39:36 PM »

The days of supply pinatas are most likely over, though.
Good riddance!  I am sick of filling most of my fleet with slow freighters to loot everything from one battle without crashing LR to 0%, and relying on one Medusa to do all the fighting, all of time, while fighting with objectives (due to civilians bloating my fleet size), just for optimal play for my Combat/Technology character.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2014, 08:01:18 PM »

Right now, you can only get hit with a toll once every 30 days within any given system. I'll probably change it so that it's once a month per system per faction, though - otherwise, it's exploitable, as you could get stopped on purpose by a faction that doesn't consider your cargo illegal and then have free reign for a month.

A time base system can be played, how about just a simple 'flag' that lasts until you dock. Not like you will specifically target freighters with illegal goods after you get scanned to sell back without the danger of getting inspected again. That just seems a very round-about and hard way to make credits when you could be doing almost anything else.

As for the frequency itself, to be fair i'd consider it differently while still tied, as a separate event, to reputation. Say you have a base standard 50% chance of getting searched per faction initially. If you get searched and are found with contraband, it gets bumped up to 60% chance, with that faction, and say it scales down universally with other factions (55% say), up to whatever limit you see reasonable, 90%/100%. If you often smuggle and get caught smuggling, you'll be targeted more often, and eventually raise that chance even with factions you don't trade with.. 'being notorious'. This will fit in with the reputation system that if you do get caught and they look the other way, it won't affect that chance more.

If you engage in legal trade, get inspected, and found all clear, that percentage drops. If you carry food to starving children and medicine to far-flung worlds, i'm sure everyone eventually will think of you as a trader-saint, even if you do eventually end up smuggling some drugs with the medicine. Still, this should be capped at say 10% just to make sure you can't 'saint' yourself in consequence-free smuggling.

-----------

Aside from that, any way there could be a situation where i'd suck in the fines and STILL make a profit off smuggling? That'd be broken. I don't think you mentioned if the inspectors confiscate your contraband or not? If you can't pay the tolls they should just rob you blind.

----

Oh, and as a last thing, would it be possible to target periods of high activity, when inspectors are overrun with scanning other fleets (if that even happens), so you can make a break for it? I'd love a lot more interaction and gameplay on the galaxy map.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 08:03:00 PM by Cosmitz »

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2014, 10:47:06 PM »

@Cosmitz:

On the confiscation thingy, from what Benjamin Petty is saying in the final screenshot from the blog, goods DO get confiscated.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2014, 11:09:45 PM »

I'm not sure how much I like once per month scans (unless it's scan whenever, and tolls once a month), since you can go into a system, get scanned, then grab whatever contraband you want with no consequence
mmm.... tartiflette

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2014, 11:42:35 PM »

As far as I get it - you get tolled once per month, but can be scanned quite regularly within this month depending on your standing with the faction. And another thing I learned - flying a one-ship (frigate?) fleet wont trigger scans and tolls, but probably wont bring much of a profit (even if smuggling) to be a viable option for a player long enough after start.

Modest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2014, 12:54:21 AM »

I think I'm gonna go cry in my corner now...

And I could not be more happy about THIS than I am :) Finnaly! :D

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2014, 01:32:27 AM »

It keeps track of what's actually being traded/transported, and that factors into the salvage.

Any idea yet if boarding will factor into this?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2014, 07:25:56 AM »

Great. Now I don't have to chase down pirates(and blow them to bits) to make a living.
Question: How much is the average profit a starting fleet(a medusa & a mule) will make if they only engage in legal trades?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 06:31:23 AM by Aron0621 »

haloguy1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2014, 01:17:11 PM »

Just wondering how close are we for the next update? ??? ??? ???
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7