Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Give station docking priority over fleet encounters  (Read 4388 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Give station docking priority over fleet encounters
« on: August 18, 2014, 03:59:17 AM »

I think part of the starting difficulty is that you can't really "run and hide" in stations after combat. If you were in an engagement near a station, and directly after it you try to dock, there's the usual after-encounter-timer running down. Problem is, when an enemy fleet (E.G. one you just escaped from) reaches you before the timer has run down, you will find yourself in another engagement instead of safely docked to the station.
Especially when there are many fleets in the vicinity, one after the other attacking you, docking becomes impossible. Can be pretty frustrating.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Give station docking priority over fleet encounters
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 04:48:41 AM »

I've experienced this quite a few times and would like to see that docking priority.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 05:25:09 AM »

I doubt that it is a good idea. You don`t actually dock your fleet to the station - part of it (and I suspect that this part is more than 50%) stays in orbit near the station either awaiting docking clearance or waiting for crew/cargo being shuttled to them/from them (I doubt that Atlas is actually docking to the station) or simply performing independent maintenance works.

I also do recall Alex saying something about AI freighter fleets taking some time to unload/load and that they can be attacked while doing so (IIRC even with an impact on the after-battle loot!). This may be a step towards more realistic fleet/station interaction which I described above and thus may remove any chances for your suggestion :)

P.S.: while writing this I actually came up with an idea for Ironclads that might play around these waiting times...

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 06:50:18 AM »

I doubt that it is a good idea. You don`t actually dock your fleet to the station - part of it (and I suspect that this part is more than 50%) stays in orbit near the station either awaiting docking clearance or waiting for crew/cargo being shuttled to them/from them
But how do you explain this when you are using a single ship?
(I doubt that Atlas is actually docking to the station) or simply performing independent maintenance works.
If I am not mistaken, part of the lore states that an Atlas has a tendency to draw crowds at stations due to its massive size
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 07:46:49 AM »

Yeah and why aren't the station's defence weapons giving the pirates what for?

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 08:06:46 AM »

And let's not forget that this only applies to the player. If the AI is running from the player and reaches the station first, they will dock and disappear no matter how big they are

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 10:55:47 AM »

Hmm. This seems like it'd be really abusable, doesn't it? Fight next to a station, never worry about cargo capacity at all, and don't worry about CR either, if it's not hostile.

(These mechanics will probably change at some point, btw...)

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 11:48:00 AM »

I am with alex on this one. But what dose bother me is that once I undock there needs to be a bit more of a grace period after undocking

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 04:47:29 PM »

Hmm. This seems like it'd be really abusable, doesn't it? Fight next to a station, never worry about cargo capacity at all, and don't worry about CR either, if it's not hostile.

(These mechanics will probably change at some point, btw...)

Uh, that's kind of how early game works for me anyway. ;D   So yeah, I'm looking forward to the mechanics change.

Trouble now is that you don't actually know if you will be able dock before the enemy catches up to you, and as a newbie you probably expect to. A countdown or warning might be helpful.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 11:26:19 PM »

Uh, that's kind of how early game works for me anyway. ;D   So yeah, I'm looking forward to the mechanics change.

Right, starting off, I go way overcapacity all the time while hunting close by the stations, and quickly head back to offload all my loot and bring my CR up to full again :P

Agreed that the status quo is a bit of a problem for beginners. I think a lot of us who have been with Starsector for a while don't realize how steep the learning curve can be at times.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 05:41:26 AM »

Unless the player starts with Medusa and Mule on Easy, the player will always overload to 0% LR after salvaging loot from one battle in the beginning, because no one frigate has capacity for the 200 or so supplies dropped by a typical two pirate ship fleet.  Excessive supply drops are a problem throughout the whole game.  This encourages station hugging.  Bad as excessive CR drain is, it is moot when ships overload with loot after one or two fights.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 01:17:11 PM »

A fast fleet can lead enemy fleets away from the station, rush back and then dock. If docking had priority, then a fleet 'blockading' a station would be useless. When an enemy fleet is close to a station I consider it as if they put up a blockade there. I have to agree with Alex, it feels a little exploitable.

Curious to see what's planned for the future though.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 02:34:21 PM »

Whatever Alex does, it should apply to both sides, not give all ties to the AI.  Currently, if player tries to dock, enemy intercepts; but if player tries to intercept, enemy always docks and escapes.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 07:50:04 PM »

Whatever Alex does, it should apply to both sides, not give all ties to the AI.  Currently, if player tries to dock, enemy intercepts; but if player tries to intercept, enemy always docks and escapes.
Agreed, especially with trade fleets and such coming in next update

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too