Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Faction Relationships  (Read 50020 times)

TheDTYP

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Faction Relationships
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2014, 08:34:36 PM »

Hey, so I have a question, which may or may not have already been answered. (If it has been, I apologize, I haven't read this thread in a while)

So it's been established that there are a variety of ways for players to influence their own standing with a faction, but would it be possible for factions to have the same dynamic relationships with one another as they do with the player? The more I think about this question the more complicated it sounds coding wise, but I'm wondering if, say, at some point in my theoretical playthrough, the relationship between factions like Tri-Tachyon and the Hegemony would be friendly, or at least won't kill each other on sight, as drastic as that could sound. If yes, is there a way the player can at all influence these relationships?

Actually, on the topic of hypothetical faction stuff, I'm not entirely clear on one thing. If a planet or a station is destabilized, (I know it has effects such as smaller fleets) is there a system in place that a faction hostile to the planet or station suffering this destabilization crisis could swoop in and take over, eliminating the former faction from the area? Would it be possible to sort of launch a crusade to effectively wipe a faction from the face of the Sector, or is that not how it works?

Thanks in advance! Super excited for the update, I can't wait to play it! Keep up the great work, Alex and company!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 08:41:56 PM by TheDTYP »

SadDemon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2014, 02:39:07 AM »

Hey!

Patch notes looks really good and i look forward do it. I was just wondering if there will come new weapons and/or ships in some far future patch, or do you feel finished with that aspect?   

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2014, 09:15:46 PM »

Hey, so I have a question, which may or may not have already been answered. (If it has been, I apologize, I haven't read this thread in a while)

Hi - sorry about the reeeal delayed response, ended up missing this somehow.

So it's been established that there are a variety of ways for players to influence their own standing with a faction, but would it be possible for factions to have the same dynamic relationships with one another as they do with the player? The more I think about this question the more complicated it sounds coding wise, but I'm wondering if, say, at some point in my theoretical playthrough, the relationship between factions like Tri-Tachyon and the Hegemony would be friendly, or at least won't kill each other on sight, as drastic as that could sound. If yes, is there a way the player can at all influence these relationships?

To answer your question: eventually, yeah, I'd expect to have more dynamic relationships between factions, but they probably wouldn't use the exact same mechanics, though they'd use the same relationship system. I mean, the goals here would be different - letting the player influence it, as you mention, some kind of a political landscape following patterns, events playing into it, etc. Just how that'll all pan out remains to be seen. Definitely not for this release, though :)

Actually, on the topic of hypothetical faction stuff, I'm not entirely clear on one thing. If a planet or a station is destabilized, (I know it has effects such as smaller fleets) is there a system in place that a faction hostile to the planet or station suffering this destabilization crisis could swoop in and take over, eliminating the former faction from the area? Would it be possible to sort of launch a crusade to effectively wipe a faction from the face of the Sector, or is that not how it works?

Perhaps, but not right now. That sounds like it might fall neatly together with dynamic inter-faction interactions.

Hey!

Patch notes looks really good and i look forward do it. I was just wondering if there will come new weapons and/or ships in some far future patch, or do you feel finished with that aspect?   

Hey! More ships and weapons are always an option. I think the weapon set is in a pretty good place, but there are a couple of things I'd like to add. It's just not real high priority, because, well, it is in a good place. As far as ships, let me just say that there are some exciting new developments on that front for the next release :) But they don't necessarily include brand-new ships.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2014, 07:42:29 AM »

New patch notes soon? ;D More implied ship adjustments excites me.

senor

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2014, 01:45:57 PM »

All this faction relationship stuff sounds great, Alex.  I wanted to suggest that the player be able to perform war bounties, on behalf of a faction that they were in good standing with.  Maybe this is already planned and I missed it in the blog.  Probably paid war bounty, but maybe if the economics system supports it, perhaps unpaid bounties could be an option that the player is given when the faction doesn't have the resources to pay?  i guess it's mostly a thematic thing at that point.

In addition to that I thought it might be cool for the player to gain reputation with multiple factions by doing "pro-bono" work/bounties for a faction.  For example, the player accepts a mission to protect a civilian installation or fleet from pirate attack just as a good deed, major civilized factions hear about it and think better of the player.  Or maybe the Hegemony is attacking some poorly defended Tri-Tachyon civilian colony and the player steps in to defend for free, this would give a large reputation bonus for Tri-Tachyon and maybe a small one for other factions that don't hate Tri-Tachyon (and perhaps hate Hegemony).  This would be in contrast to the player doing these kinds of things for pay, in which case factions (other than the one paying) might wave it off as mercenary work.

Further, if the player does a lot of paid mercenary work for many different factions, and/or perhaps if the player frequently or always denies to doing mercenary work for free, that might slowly lower reputation with multiple factions as they see the player as being untrustworthy or cutthroat.

What do you think?

I've enjoyed reading the blog updates about these game systems, thanks for posting them.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]