Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Diable Avionics (v.1.05)[0.65.1a]  (Read 94453 times)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Diable Avionics (v. 0.5f)
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 11:42:32 PM »

This faction is looking sweet. I love the quickly unfolding shields.

etherealblade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 03:23:15 PM »

Flash, I love your Neutrino mod. It looks like I'll love this one too! I definitely like the ideas behind how these ships behave. I definitely see some good fleet cohesion.
Spoiler

[close]

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 03:48:47 PM »

All compliments are appreciated,

I've decided on how to proceed next and have came upon doubling up the current amount of ships.
Stay tuned ish for how it'll come out.

LB

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 03:51:59 PM »

Looking good, I'd be pretty interested in playing some missile-heavy fleets.

But actually, I posted because that avatar is from Hammerfight, isn't it?

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 04:05:08 PM »

;D T'was a pretty bird when I first saw it, I still wish there was a sequel to that game.

Lcu

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2014, 06:57:40 PM »

What is the playstyle for this mod?
Front? Broadside?
Spoiler
Ctrl+F, type 6
[close]

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2014, 07:13:44 PM »

Most often it is Point to enemy and Blast away, you can have a modest broadside if you invest into it but most often they will be slotted with missiles.

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
  • Have a towel, just need a ship...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2014, 06:21:32 PM »

Oh. my. god. For the longest time I thought it was called "Disable Avionics" and I thought it was some mod that changed the basic flight behaviour, rather than a mod containing some of the best looking ships in the forum. :O
I need this in my life.
Executive Creative Director of Naysmyth Armouries Mod (Very WIP)

ORMtnMan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2014, 09:47:39 PM »

You have outdone yourself. First Neutrino, now this... teach me master
Creator and lord of The Ashkurr Commonwealth

Sprite artist and designer for Naysmyth Armouries

Creepin

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2014, 11:47:50 PM »

Whoa, your bigger ships resemble both Vaygr and Zentraedi. Neat stuff! :)

Lakis

• Lieutenant
  • I shall offend all of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2014, 02:03:53 PM »

These guys are really scarey to face and very fun to play as. Can't wait for more!
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8100.0 - Metelsons Faction Mod - Occasional contributor - mostly a cold dead planet.

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Diable Avionics (v. 0.75a)
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2014, 05:47:50 PM »

Updated to 0.75a

3 more ships, 2 weapons, and an extra wanzer wing

tweaks all round, testing as necessary.

- http://www.mediafire.com/download/39537j9v967f89j/Diable+Avionics+0.75.zip -
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 12:34:00 PM by FlashFrozen »

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2014, 12:52:15 AM »

Good art, but I can't help but feeling like all of the fighters are visual clones of each other.

CrazyDave

• Commander
  • Never left, stopped posting
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2014, 04:09:20 PM »

Good art, but I can't help but feeling like all of the fighters are visual clones of each other.

while i suppose that it makes sense both lore wise and faction uniform wise, in terms of gameplay i would have to agree that they are far too similar. with such a small difference between each, being able to identify and counter ships quickly (an important part of starsector) becomes substantially more difficult. And dont get me started on managing them from the command screen, holy cow. i stuggle with distinguishing vanilla fighters so this would be nightmare...

im not sure how you'd fix the problem, and im assuming each is a variant of the same ship (lore wise if not gameplay wise). maybe add graphical vents or such to a more flux heavy fighter, or perhaps stabalisation fins or something to a wing, something to distingish the differences. just a couple quick ideas, im sure you can think of something better :)
Naysmyth Armouries, for all your blasting needs.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2014, 03:31:13 PM »

I played a bit the campaign with them, they make me think of some kind of hybrid child between Exigency and SCY.

Early game is hard with DA, very hard. Starting with the unshielded Draft frigate is suicidal, everything will hack you to piece quickly. The Vapor is the least dangerous (and only) choice for a starter frigate, it can pack quite a punch but the very weak hull and narrow Neutrino-ish frontal shield make it incredibly vulnerable to heat-seekers that pirates tends to use. The tiny frontal shield is something DA ships suffer a lot throughout the game, getting the extended shield hullmod is vital if you want to survive. Auxiliary thrusters and insulated engines assembly will also increase drastically your ships survivability.

The only worthy flagships are the three newly added Vapor/Hayle and Haze thanks to their good mobility and huge frontal firepower. The other ships are relegated to the role of support (debatable for the Calm destroyer).

If you want Flagships, pick the three on the right, if you want AI ships, pick the four on the left. I have to say however that the support ships are much better for an endgame scenario, the Gust cruiser especially.

The mechs wings are by far the best fighters in the entire game, definitely not the fastest but undoubtedly the most armed and armored. Getting at least one of those plus a Gust carrier is the first priority if you want to build a proper DA fleet. The Gust is good because not only it have a launch bay but it also have a large energy hardpoint, which mean you can mount a long range support weapon like the Tachyon lance (which is one of the variant BTW).

A single launch bay may seem a bit weak for a cruiser but given DA wanzers are incredibly though, you don't have to replace them regularly.

Unfortunately the Gust eclipse every other DA ships in the support category. The Storm capital carrier is definitely a good ship early to mid game but for twice the deployment cost you only get one more launch bay and lack the large energy hardpoint. You got 5 med mounts plus a lot more of small ones but as a DA ship, you really, really don't want to get too close to the enemy because of your paper armor and crap shield. So the Storm ain't as good as the Gust for long range support, unless you forget the DA weapons and go lolpilum spam, then it work great.

The Draft however? No launch bay. The Calm? No launch bay. For a faction that rely very heavily on its fighters, you don't want to take risks by bringing your frail ships to the frontline.

Currently DA lack some ships that could allow another strategy other than wanzer spam. Also to go on the discussion about differentiating the fighters, it is indeed very hard in the heat of battle as they all have a similar shape. Even in the fleet screen i'm not sure what is the role of each mech wing as they have their own custom weapons. The Strife appeared to me as the most bomber-ish one while the Frost with its shotgun seemed more like some kind of interceptor, maybe?

Being able to differentiate each wanzer is going to be tough without changing DA's color scheme but maybe just a color band to show each role? Yellow band interceptor-ish, red as bomber-ish etc... It's not that important in battle but at least it would be good to make it a bit clearer in their description, at least to let the player know which one would be best if you go for Onslaught hunting.

I had some strange behavior from the AI. Like sending its ships in very limited number, as if my fleet was weak even though i had a truckload of stuff. Maybe a problem with the reverse CR degradation? Speaking of CR, they all have disgustingly high CR cost per deployment (the combat regen doesn't seems to do anything after the fight) which lead to very expensive repairs, not sure if intended.

Also some problems with the DA station resupplying, haven't seen any new ships or weapons in a long while. If it wasn't for the Omnifactory, i couldn't have played this campaign.

I don't have much more to say, they didn't appeared as OP in my campaign so it seems okay on the balance. Still, they were pretty fun to play with.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7