Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

Poll closed

Closed
- 0 (0%)
Closed
- 0 (0%)
closed
- 0 (0%)
Sorry
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 28, 2014, 01:20:16 PM

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 29

Author Topic: Old Metelson Industries :: Important Update 03/12/2024  (Read 299279 times)

Az the Squishy

• Captain
  • I'm but a woman with a pencil.
    • View Profile
Re: Metelson industries (0.7): Teaser for next update:Fighter update
« Reply #135 on: December 08, 2015, 01:54:14 PM »

just a tease of what I'm working on... Hopefully the Fighters'll be fun for people to mess aroun' with. :)

Spoiler

[close]

Blaze

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Metelson industries (0.7): Nexerelin a-go! Next update:Fighter update
« Reply #136 on: December 10, 2015, 03:05:13 PM »

If there's one thing I like about Metelson, it's that they let me kill my target my preferred way.

Death by a million cuts delivered via never-ending stream of good, old-fashioned, hot lead.

The combat mg is now my staple gun.

In any case, I notice a lot of ships are missing compared to 0.65, were they removed or are they on-hold due to rebalancing?

Az the Squishy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 10, 2015, 11:57:27 PM »

No, I've the sprites still and likely some will be reused if not redone entirely.
I felt that my mod was starting to turn into Rome. It became too big for me to manage effectively. So I went back to my root idea, and thus my root insperation and tried to mimic ASP as shown on the front page.
Asp has a Capital ship that serves a Non-combat purpose but can handle a destoryer for the most part and a frigate for sure.
They've a Destoryer and a Frigate.

I've a capital ship,  a Crusier posing as a destoryer ATM,  the Rastrum redone, two frigates and 4 fighters.

So I removed a LOT of the crazy ships, mostly for My sake, and for the sake of the mod.
They were okay, The sprites were messy though, and the colors were all over the place. They were not exactly what I was looking for to the T.
So I said to hell with it, and redesigned my ships, what you see is the end result of that progress.

Mantarn will be made into a Crusier and given some more weapon slots among other things.
The Varingur will make a come back and that'll be it for a while.

The mod I feel is at a good point, and it is based off the Nueteral faction. Which results in the mod blending well with the rest of the sector and not looking... off. they look as though they're SOMETHING. but they're not out of place.

Az the Squishy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 30, 2015, 09:52:40 PM »

Just a bit of an idea I want to have on paper... and generate intrest in the mod...

I'm thinking of making more frigates an possibly Metelson Versions of select Vanillia ships... As the lore in SS allows that so... Lets see what I can bash together...

Blaze

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 31, 2015, 06:23:04 PM »

Frigate/Destroyer person here, the best things always come in little packages.

There's a couple great ships and a few hit-and-miss ships; at least in combat. The Pala is great as a support frigate with decent cargo capacity, burn 10, and the M-Uni slot, but the Farin lacks the Flux stats to utilize both its shield and weapons - though it's a freighter so eh.

The Rastrum is a anvil, a lot tougher to kill than an enforcer; but has fewer weapons. The borer drones are of rather dubious value though. I believe you said you're revamped it so I'll hold on judging.

The Mantarn is a bit like a mini-apogee, decent all around ship. Feels a bit under-gunned though; though it's also going through reconstruction.

I can't really find a use for the Acutor, it feels like it tries to do too much; though I suppose that's kind of the point. The Repair apparatus only appears to speed-up repairs, not actually reduce their cost; which suffers from the issue its construction rig mounted variant does. On the other hand, it is the cheapest capship to field, supply-wise.

The fighters are significantly better. The Negl is a better broadsword, the Golgata is a dagger on steroids, and the grudiver leaves mining pods in the dust. The Obex... not so much; for starters, I don't think it even has enough flux to fire its mining blaster.

Ship choice is still pretty bare. You'll probably want a flight-deck alternative to the Acutor, but doing so pretty much dooms it to the back-end of the ship lineup. They lack a dedicated hauler/tanker. And it relies on fighters to deal the brunt of its damage.

I'd certainly like to see more mining weapons, you've got the mining laser and mining blaster and that seems to be it.

Az the Squishy

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Metelson industries *NINJA UPDATE POST~! >:D*
« Reply #140 on: December 31, 2015, 09:11:35 PM »

Thank you very much Blaze for the Comments. It really is nice to see what others think...

The Mantarn and Rastrum have been changed. The Mantarn is now a LIGHT crusier. Think of the Falcon, and has been given a buff in guns. The Rastrum is much the same though The drones will likely be replaced with a custom system that feature more... Aggresive, little sods.

Fighters are getting a major graphics and Balance update as well this coming new-year. (likely going to be updated AFTER newyear or during but no promisies.)

Likewise I'll be adding to the line up with some variations of Vanillia ships. taking a page from the THI and Meso himself and others.  So Here's a small list to tease of some of the Vessels I've chosen to throw *** at an see what works.

Viligance, Mudskipper (dedicated light hauler with 100 Cargo and 75 fuel), Mining Pod (Lore idea...), Venture(considering it's lore),  and otherwise. I'm going to add some strike ships. The Rops Frigate being an idea in mind I've had for a while...
elsewise do keep in mind that this is Based more on the ASP mod. it's main goal is to produce some unique ships with a faction to buy them from. it's not aiming to be a very complex mod either.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gh5hp40f83koefx/miPUBLIC.zip?dl=0
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 11:14:18 PM by Azmond »

Blaze

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Metelson industries (.7.1a): Varingur and Fighters live~! a2.50
« Reply #141 on: January 07, 2016, 09:04:17 AM »

Ooh, how did I miss this?
Spoiler
The Farin got a flux boost that it needed, always good to hear. The lack of webbing turret arcs mean it's a lot less potent at attacking as the cerberus, but the shield more than makes up for it.

Can't say much about the Vigil; It has slightly better stats, but the universal is more of a display piece than anything as it lacks the flux for a second non-missile medium. In other words, the description fits perfectly.

Mudder? Basically frigate class transport. Decent transport stats, burn 9 makes it inferior to the farin/cerberus in terms of transporting; but you can slap augmented engines on it and you can field 2 mudders for the supply cost of 1 of them; though at that point you might as well just get a buffalo. The mounts don't fit with its laughable 15-OP, but it's a transport so shouldn't be in combat anyway.

The Varinger is the ship I'm most excited about here. 200 cargo! Flight deck! Missile slots! Burn 9! +2 M-hybrids and the flux to use them. It's the support destroyer that I've always wanted! It's honestly a bit too good, its crew and recovery cost is lower than a condor! If I had any complaint about this ship it would be its awkward small center turrets' arcs and the fact that without a cautious/timid officer it burn drives right into the center of an enemy formation.

The Mantarn got a extra few weapons and is now a light cruiser. I still feel that it's a bit undergunned, especially compared to the Falcon which is superior in almost every way (faster, heavier weapons, significantly better turret arcs, tougher armor, more flux, etc). The biggest flaw is its low OP. fitting 3 triple-autocannons and some cheap secondaries takes up half of the 85 base OP.

The Negl lost its second swarmer rack, which puts it on par with the broadsword: Faster, Higher damage (4 fighters vs 3 fighters), but more fragile. The description suggests explosive mg rounds, but I don't see it.

The new Golgata has some identity issues. The description and classification imply its an interceptor, but the single harpoon, slow turn rate, shallow vulcan arcs, and huge (for an interceptor) size  say otherwise. It's a bit of a liability deploying these due to their long (for an interceptor) flight deck time, and the fact that they'll try to shoot heavier ships with their close range vulcans and get shredded.

If I had a suggestion for the Golgata, it'd be to ditch the vulcans and give it two wing mounted harpoons (If you keep the center one you might want to reduce it to a 2-fighter wing) or ditch the harpoon for more vulcans and give it a better turning rate and/or turret arcs. The sprite is too cool looking for it to be what it is now.

The Obex is the second ship I'm most excited about. Hammers! Glorious, glorious hammers! It's like fielding two pirate kites without having to worry about losing them!

Also might want to prod Histidine into giving Hammers mining capability as that's what the description implies.
[close]

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 07, 2016, 11:22:40 AM »

MEEEETELSOOOOOOON!!!

Hell, it's about time.
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

Az the Squishy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2016, 07:10:50 PM »

NINJA~!

As far as Balance goes Blaze, some things will be tweaked and messed with in the next developemnt. Which will be realeased at an announced tim eat some point later. ATM I've school and other things I'm working on. The mod will still be developing. But, much like when it was going through changes before. it will not be very public.

There are many reasons for this, but mainly these...
  • It let's me work without thinking on what OTHERS want.
  • Less stress and more enjoyability for me.
  • Allows me to enjoy my failures and successions in private.

otherwise, I do agree on most things you've posted. And again, it's nice to have another view on the mod in here. ^^
As far as your particular criqtue goes... The Negl will get it's own weapon that can be mounted by ships as described. it's Place holder is the Kenetic Variation you could say.
Likewise, the gologata was intended to be a very heavy fighter. As such it will liekly get put through development again with it's sprite and it's lore. As translated, its name is "Calvary".
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 12:53:26 PM by Azmond »

Az the Squishy

• Captain
    • View Profile

I've made my Deliberations for the mod as it now stands.

• More ships to fill the gaps.
  • Better destoryers and frigates.
  • More Variations of Vanilla Ships.
  • Lore and or fluff, whatever you wanna call it...
Explanation below:
Spoiler

Metelsons, as it's own... Is not much. it is VERY, VERY much like ASP. And that was the goal.... The first goal.
Now that I've met that goal though. there now is another. Make the mod BETTER. And one of the ways to make it better, is to ADD more. Though... as we saw from early versions when it did add a lot, it also added something i didn't want.
Complexity.
I don't want to make this a very Complex mod, I want to keep this a very simple mod that any one. Anyone with a simple computer, that can run the basic game. Can pick up and play.

To that end, I want to add content that won't simply just pad the mod. But add to the game. Things that would make sense for what the mod tries to be.

That being, a Corporation to opposite what the Tri-tachyon is.
A friendly corporation with smaller goals, goals more in line with the Hegemony. Rather than simply to profit on others and support those who gave a profit. However that doesn't mean Metelson won't be it's own entity... It will simply have the Hegemony as a favourable faction. Someone they're willing to play with, usually without issue.

And so, many of the Hegemony ships, will also be "metelized" or made into Metelson Variations. The Variations will likely have a change in turrets, stats and overall appearance. Common ships- such at the Hermes, Mule, and Venture, will have parallel variations, or Re-imaginings.
But that's the basics... For particulars. I made a list and some of them have been made allready. A joke of a Muddskipper for sheer fun that I may edit again. A Vigil Frigate. Giving the Vigilance Hull an extra turret, and making it more suitable for combat other than being a support role. and a special project....

That'll be for the next update however. A Military update you could say, or Secutirty and Logistics update really.

Whatever it is, the next update will add more ships to allow Metelsons to stand on their own... A bit more.

Tell me what you guys think of the mod, Tell where you think it falls flat. Where it seems to shine. Critiques welcome, as well as anything else. Just please keep in mind this is my own work. If you want to help me do something, By all means do and you'll get credit...Also, PM me. If I ask for help Publicly in my thread, feel free to post.
[close]

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile

These designs are alraedy in SS+ yes?

Az the Squishy

• Captain
    • View Profile

These designs are alraedy in SS+ yes?

No, SS+ adds and uses designs from HELMUT, MesoTroniK, and other modders work for many reasons.
Most noteably MesoTroniK's own Infernial Machine, and Cycerin's Pirates Plus.

These will be my own designs for my own mod.  :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 10:37:51 AM by Azmond »

Blaze

• Commander
    • View Profile

The Negl will get it's own weapon that can be mounted by ships as described. it's Place holder is the Kenetic Variation you could say.
The descriptions sounds pretty much like the vanilla Light Assault Gun. So perhaps a "Mining Spike", a kinetic round with a delayed explosive charge that deals additional HE damage on contact with hull/armor.

Likewise, the golgata was intended to be a very heavy fighter. As such it will liekly get put through development again with it's sprite and it's lore. As translated, its name is "Calvary".
Instead of vulcans, maybe something with a bit more punch then.
Rapid. Fire. Shotguns. In Space.

If you're looking for ideas, I could list some of the low hanging fruit.
Lacks a dedicated large cargo hauler, cruiser-chassis would be ideal; as you only have a single cruiser.
A M-version of the hammer torpedo (Like the typhoon reaper) would kick much tush.
An alternate version of the mining laser, MI ships have almost no S-Energy slots to mount them (though they have plenty of M-Hybrid slots for mining blasters). The mountable Negl gun would fit the bill though; since it'd take a ballistic slot.

You can include Nexerelin mining capability without having Histidine do it by creating a data/config/exerelin folder and then adding mining_weapons.csv and mining_ships.csv files with relevant entries.

Lakis

• Lieutenant
  • I shall offend all of them!
    • View Profile

Blarg still alive!

Just doing concepts and that's just about it, Concept Weapon, ship, and sprite design as well as thinking about lore and possible missions to go with it.
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8100.0 - Metelsons Faction Mod - Occasional contributor - mostly a cold dead planet.

Az the Squishy

• Captain
    • View Profile

A bit of a teaser post for things to com in the next update to 7.x  This will be an update to a.2.50 and throw it into a3.00.
Enjoy the two little ships I'm leaving you with to drool over. One is a drone, and the other is coming back with a vengence.
And yes, I'll do my damnest to make them balanced.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 29