Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Starfarer and Steam.  (Read 16724 times)

James Sullivan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Starfarer and Steam.
« on: May 21, 2011, 12:10:30 PM »

So hi, I'm new around here and from a link from an RPS comment.

I really like the look of this game, watched a few videos and it looks appropriately explodey and rather interesting.

Just wondering about taking the jump and actually buying it, what are the chances of it getting to steam? Would people that purchased it during alpha get to add it to steam or something?

I'm quite possibly going to buy it here then purchase it again if it gets released on steam, I just really like the ship designs.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer and Steam.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 12:29:53 PM »

Hi there, thanks for dropping by!

It's a little early to try to get it on Steam, but we'll absolutely try to do that once it's feature complete. If we do get on Steam, we'll try to make it so that people that bought the game directly from us can add it to their Steam games. I'm told that's possible.

I can't actually promise anything, though - too many factors outside our control here.

James Sullivan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 01:27:52 PM »

Yeah I guess it is very early but I think I would like to support development at this point in development!

I'm feeling rather impulsive as of late and It's going to be exciting playing all the new builds! From the looks of it there have been quite a few revisions to the UI but overall I really like the style of it.

I'm looking forward to when refitting ships and campaigns are added as well!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 01:45:28 PM »

Thanks, I appreciate your support! Hope you enjoy the game :)

James Sullivan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 02:13:56 PM »

Yeah you're most welcome! I'll try get some friends interested but not many of my friends are as hugely enthusiastic as I am about space combat and science fiction! (I'm still waiting for Homeworld 3 to be announced..)

Obviously this has probably been mentioned earlier but so far I'm finding it really tough. The first mission is doable but it gets all pear shaped after that. But I guess if all the missions were easy we'd complete them and wouldn't be playing the alpha as much right?  ;)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 02:25:56 PM »

Obviously this has probably been mentioned earlier but so far I'm finding it really tough. The first mission is doable but it gets all pear shaped after that. But I guess if all the missions were easy we'd complete them and wouldn't be playing the alpha as much right?  ;)

That's part of it, yeah :) The other part is Hornet's Nest really didn't come out "medium". "Sinking the Bis'mar" is actually easier despite being labeled hard, since it's a straight piloting skill test, without much in the way of tactics to worry about.

There's also the manual - just put a link to it up in a new sticky topic in this section. Really should have done earlier.

James Sullivan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 02:43:35 PM »

Wow, the manual is quite handy. I'm definitely going to go back to some of the missions with a new perspective. I think one of my main issues is not really fully understanding the roles of all the ships and which enemy targets I should try to engage first. Bumping into the enemy carrier and getting swarmed by bombers doesn't seem like a great idea! I should probably stay away from the impossible mission for now..

I'm definitely getting the mechwarrior influence as well from the flux "overheating" and weapon groups and such.

Darrow

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 01:48:44 PM »

I heard Steam turned SPAZ down because theres too many "indie space games available"

hopefully youll get to steam though!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 09:46:59 PM »

Ah, I suppose we'll have to hope for the best and try to make it so good they can't say no ;)

mecharm

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 04:25:56 AM »

...and/or we'll go there to bring Steam down.

(and we could also link it with the annual Starfarer larp. Details: TBA)

James Sullivan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 05:05:09 AM »

Well steam isn't the only way to do things. It's just so damn convenient and I'm really OCD when organising my games.

Oh and I've managed to complete 3 missions now! The Hornets nest still slaughters me but it's great fun. I love the feel of the slower projectiles like Torpedoes and missiles, they animate well and require a good bit of skill to use.

I'm really excited for the future of this game and all the possibilities!

Edit: I've managed to beat Hornets nest! That felt so good! I sent a heroic Frigate and one squadron of fighters to the right most sensor thingy while everything else went else where and the frigate survived the battle even against some many ships! I kept checking the video feed and the lucky bugger was dodging a lot of fire while the fighters took out the enemy frigates, it was pretty crazy.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 02:19:39 PM by Scroll2020 »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 02:27:26 PM »

Edit: I've managed to beat Hornets nest! That felt so good! I sent a heroic Frigate and one squadron of fighters to the right most sensor thingy while everything else went else where and the frigate survived the battle even against some many ships! I kept checking the video feed and the lucky bugger was dodging a lot of fire while the fighters took out the enemy frigates, it was pretty crazy.

Congratulations! :) Yeah, those Tempest-class frigates can stay alive and skirmish for a long time - they're fast enough to get out of almost every bad spot they get into.

James Sullivan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 04:08:40 PM »

Heh, looks like I'll be mass producing Tempests in the campaign. It may not be the wisest decision but it'd be a beautiful sight.

Oh that reminds me, any chance of a skirmish mode down the line? just a custom battle mode to decide on points values for the battle and such, I'd really love that.

SeaBee

• Commander
  • The stars are ... alive and breathing
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 12:10:15 AM »

Tempests are awesome.

I was sad to hear that SPAZ got turned down for Steam. Valve really said they had too many indie space games? That's ridiculous. There's no such thing! SPAZ is a lot of fun, kind of like Star Control. Just a bit too grindy for me sometimes, but definitely good entertainment. Better than many of the AAA titles on Steam right now ...

I'd like Starfarer to end up on Steam, too. I'd be tempted to buy it again just to have it there (with silly achievements!), assuming I can scrape together the monies for another copy. Valve seems kind of random when it comes to accepting games, but I guess they have a system.

FakeNicker

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 10:43:29 AM »

Actually i think what happened is this =
"Beta has arrived:                         
Hi everyone, we are pleased to announce that you can finally pre-purchase SPAZ and get access to the Beta. Impulse is currently exclusively hosting the Beta, and soon we will also be distributing on GamersGate, BMT Micro and other digital distribution platforms"

And also hi BTW  :) im thinking about buying Starfarer. Not to bash on Spaz, because its in another ball area, but when my rage has whashed away after going arcade on everyones asses and their mom i whish it was abit more tactical and slow. So i hear this is what im seeking when im done holding mousebuttons down constantly?
Pages: [1] 2 3