Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Why is this Forum no War Zone?  (Read 11398 times)

nonomo4

• Lieutenant
  • The Light!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Why is this Forum no War Zone?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 07:56:43 PM »

There is usually activity after a release, I will be back when another one comes about :) That or randomly periodically to check up on hows things.

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 02:40:39 PM »

There was the Combat Readiness wars, there was flames a plenty and many rage quitters.
I wouldn't quite say that was a heated debate though. Mostly it was people politely saying their opinions and then respecting each other's wishes.

sarducardun

• Commander
  • Welcome the angel of death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 03:26:19 PM »

There was the Combat Readiness wars, there was flames a plenty and many rage quitters.
I wouldn't quite say that was a heated debate though. Mostly it was people politely saying their opinions and then respecting each other's wishes.
This forum rocks basically. The most ragey it gets can be seen in the freighter, shield overload and randomisation discussions. And they are super tame with only one or two people giving into the temptation to flame.
I think this is due to the low traffic? Opinionated people are more likely to post and more likely to be forceful in their opinions, and respond to others with oposing views. So with more people the chance of forceful posts increases dramatically. One rage post begets more enraged replies no?

Sathe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 03:42:46 PM »

Hmm, because ppl disliking anything were banned and only fanboys remain?

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 03:51:53 PM »

From my point of view, the only people how have been banned as of yet have done some seriously terrible things. Some make long flaming posts, behave rudely and/or carry their arguments off-site. I won't give names, but Alex and co. did a pretty good job of keeping the drama out of the forums.

As for calling everyone still here fanboys/girls, that is extremely rude. I won't elaborate why, but your mockery is all kinds of wrong.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 06:26:39 PM »

As far as my opinion is concerned, this forum is a calm spot, usually.

Troubles don't go around often, until the game gathers more public awareness that more people come in, which have varying gaming experiences. I know that the game can get pretty involved when it comes to personally piloting to victory, so it does get a bit frustrating when a successful raid on pirates turned ugly when engaged by a larger force. The update rate is long and stretching that mods grow in that version until it is time to adapt to a new one when it comes out.

So far, the stuff in the game is bit much for me to take on and understand, and due to that, I'll leave such things to people who are more knowledgeable.

SatchelCharge

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 05:20:17 AM »

You would have been banned for this comment by now if it were true   ;)

Shield

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2014, 10:01:03 AM »

this forum is quiet mainly because people on here are providing constructive criticism as opposed to just saying random and unrelated things, everyone here is giving great input and more forums need that as opposed to "nerf this cause I can't do that" or "THIS IS OP!!!"

And mainly I would like to think that the people here actually think before they post.

Sathe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2014, 10:29:25 AM »

You would have been banned for this comment by now if it were true   ;)

That would be far too dangerous move. Anyway most of games OP stated, hmm all, are MP games, can´t be compared.

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2014, 12:22:20 PM »

Nah, that doesn't seem to happen at all. There are/were some sketchy permabans a year or so ago, but it doesn't seem to happen anymore.

On a more general note to the OP, although my view's probably being massively skewed form not paying attention to the forums much at all, a hate/flame war will contain itself to singular threads (see: combat readiness, tachyon lance, and a few others).

Other forms of dislike tend to be shown in passive-aggressive/snarky responses to people (some people do/did this a lot, but it's mostly prevalent whenever someone suggests multiplayer).

Whether this is better or worse than forums consisting of users from 4chan wherein everyone cusses each other off and finds new and interesting ways to call the other autistic, but mostly in a satirical form, is something I'm not sure on.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 09:07:06 AM by Pataroo1 »
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

frogbones

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 06:23:51 AM »

This is a nice calm forum, I believe it's a combination of all those listed. 

Most seem to be players that understand this games devs, and refined development style.

I've been gaming since '82. I can "see" a game pretty darn quick. This game has a rare level of passion in it's development.

I also enjoy the Star Point Gemini 2 forums, they seem more....supportive, informative, mature.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2014, 07:33:04 AM »

All those reasons, plus the fact that SS is growing up, it left its arcadeish feel behind and with the added depth of economy, mining and industry that are going to come up some day its already showing itself as being a thinking mans game.
Only a certain type of gamers is gonna like this game, and it's not the one that jumps on each others throats.

Sathe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 09:36:03 AM »

Come on, you really can´t compare forum of PvP game and PvE game...

JDCollie

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2014, 09:50:59 AM »

Don't forget, this game has been in development for more that a little while. Those of us who are here often have been here for some time, even if only off and on. Also, Alex tends to communicate quite a bit with community, both through the blog and through the forums.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2014, 01:51:57 PM »

I think i said my opinion on Starsector in the interview i took from Alex that's linked above this thread somewhere... I am a keen watcher of the direction the gaming industry is taking and i think i enjoy seeing it evolve more than i do playing games nowadays. A whole medium getting created under our eyes. Fascinating.

In any case, what i want to re-state is that Starsector really is one of the best managed and well-designed indie games i know and that reflects in the community as well. Plus, as it was stated, the community had time to 'chill' since some of them have been here for almost the full four years of development so far.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 01:54:14 PM by Cosmitz »
Pages: 1 [2] 3