Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 71

Author Topic: [0.8.1a] The Knights Templar 0.9.8f  (Read 626971 times)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.2a] The Knights Templar v0.9.4g
« Reply #495 on: November 02, 2015, 05:22:52 PM »

I don't think the nerf to the Crusader's system is good. The 1-second cooldown makes it extremely powerful, yes, but I think it really needs to be that powerful. The Crusader can't flee, dodge, or stay at long range, so its durability is all it has going for its survival. The extraoridinary staying power it has is its primary attribute and I think it's perfect the way it is right now. (But I'll withhold any more complaining until I actually get to play with the change.)

I do like the rest of the changes though.
You could play with the change now by opening the ship_data.csv in a spreadsheet editor and increasing the armor to 1000 and doing the same with the ship_systems.csv and changing the cooldown to 5
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 02, 2015, 05:30:39 PM »

Oh, you're right, that's in the CSV. For some reason I thought it would be in the script, and recompiling the .jar is not something I wanted to get into right now. Thanks.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 02, 2015, 06:56:12 PM »

So do you think the Cannon should be not be changed from its current form? Also, im curious as to what you think of the SKS cannons from P9 Megas. Do you think those are overpowered?
SKS?  P9?  The only faction mods I am familiar with are Blackrock and Templars (and a few other dead ones).  I usually play mod-less standard.

The reason I use Sentennia in a heavy slot is because standard heavy energy weapons are weak enough (as of 0.65) that I prefer Heavy Blaster over all of them unless I desperately need the 700 range from plasma cannon and I have no better alternative.  (For example, I use plasma cannon with Apogee, but I use triple heavy blasters with Sunder, and capitals get heavy blasters in all heavy mounts.)  Similarly, in an earlier version of Templars, their heavy weapons did not outperform Sentennia enough to justify using them over Sentennia.  For example, why pay 20 or more OP for a heavier weapon that outperforms a powerful medium weapon by say... only +25%?

If I prefer Heavy Blaster over any heavy standard energy weapon, and I prefer Sentennia over Heavy Blaster in every situation except in a rare Hyperion vs. Combat 10 Paragon or Doom matchup, then (of course) I want to use Sentennia.  (I will still keep a blaster Hyperion handy to counter pesky Paragons and Dooms.)

Juger used to be awful; now the arcing is truly murderous against small stuff, and direct hit is painful.  Joyese ran out of juice over prolonged battles enough that Sentennia might have overtook it, much like how Heavy Blaster overtakes Autopulse Laser in about six seconds.

Hyperion is not the only ship I use Sentennia.  I use it on every standard and Templar ship with medium energy mounts except Tempest (because it cannot support two without giving up too much).  For ships with medium universals, Galatine may compete because forcing overloads is powerful.  As for Paragon, it has enough OP to indulge in heavy Templar weapons.  A properly outfitted Paragon with Templar weapons can kill the entire simulator fleet (deployed as much and soon as possible) before running out of CR (but it is hard... so much ships).

The last time I tried the Sentennia, after it was nerfed, I thought it is was still very powerful.  Despite not being all-powerful, range and homing still made it very powerful.  Most importantly, Sentennia enables high-tech ships to kite.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 03, 2015, 01:40:21 AM »

[...]The only faction mods I am familiar with are Blackrock and Templars (and a few other dead ones).[...]
Which is sad: While I completely disagree with you on what is fun when playing a game, I think you are a GREAT benchmark to find loopholes and exploits.
[obvious bait] Also, I'm surprised you didn't at least tried Scy with their burn 4 light super freighter? [/obvious bait]  ;D

Achataeon

• Commander
  • ~stare~
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 03, 2015, 02:13:21 AM »

Quick question:

Is the Arondight Accelerator's piercing ability intentional? I find that shooting ships from behind hits the engine AND the shield up front. Since each shot of an AA causes a rise in the flux of the ship hit, and then the projectile hits the shields and causes another flux raise, then comes the overload. Long story short, it's easy to cause overloads even on capital ships.
"On average, a human has one breast and one testicle"
- Vsauce, Michael here

Blaze

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: November 03, 2015, 07:40:29 AM »

[obvious bait] Also, I'm surprised you didn't at least tried Scy with their burn 4 light super freighter? [/obvious bait]  ;D
To be fair, Blackrock's Silverfish-B's 5 S-Missile VS the Centaur's 1 M-Missile makes it superior IMO. And Metelson's M.A.S.A. vC beats the Centaur in nearly everything.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 03, 2015, 08:49:43 AM »

@ Tartiflette: I downloaded Scy a day or two ago, but I have not yet been motivated to install 7-zip on my computer to extract the files.  Until I need to use 7-zip for more stuff, I probably will not try Scy for a while.  Currently, I have projects to divert some of my attention away from Starsector.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #502 on: November 03, 2015, 08:57:44 AM »

@ Tartiflette: I downloaded Scy a day or two ago, but I have not yet been motivated to install 7-zip on my computer to extract the files.  Until I need to use 7-zip for more stuff, I probably will not try Scy for a while.  Currently, I have projects to divert some of my attention away from Starsector.

Installing 7-zip takes less time than loading up Starsector.

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 03, 2015, 09:09:30 AM »

I get the feeling Megas has no intention of really bothering with mods at all. Or at least, only plans to play them once he's minmaxed and exploited every ship, weapon, and ship system he can find in what he already has.

Agalyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 03, 2015, 09:51:12 AM »

Installing 7-zip takes less time than loading up Starsector.
Its funny how true that is.

Anyway, if all you have to work with is vanilla, I can see why the Sentenia is so appealing, as the large weapons are all very niche and not necessarily easy to use. Also,
I get the feeling Megas has no intention of really bothering with mods at all. Or at least, only plans to play them once he's minmaxed and exploited every ship, weapon, and ship system he can find in what he already has.
Damn

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 03, 2015, 10:23:39 AM »

@ Tartiflette: I downloaded Scy a day or two ago, but I have not yet been motivated to install 7-zip on my computer to extract the files.  Until I need to use 7-zip for more stuff, I probably will not try Scy for a while.  Currently, I have projects to divert some of my attention away from Starsector.
Winrar opens 7z archives too... Scratch that, 7z archives can be opened by almost every compression program in existence but Windows Explorer.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 02:05:43 PM by Tartiflette »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 03, 2015, 10:44:45 AM »

For now, much of my gaming and modding energy is to Transcendence, not Starsector (due to me finding Transcendence first and making mods for it).  Eventually, once I can make my own assets, I prefer to make my own game.  One thing I like to do some time in the future is learn how to use a modelling program (probably Blender, since it looks like the GIMP of 3D modelling) so I can make ships for Transcendence and Starsector.  If I make a mod for Starsector, the one thing I do not want to do is kitbash.

After dealing with game mods for many years, I prefer not to play with mods too much, unless I make my mods.  I like the base game to stand on its own without mods.  If I need a mod to make a game enjoyable, the game is not very good to begin with.  (Although I am more forgiving if the game is free, which Starsector is not.)  That said, I try mods here and there, if they look promising.  After all, I would not have given feedback on various mods like Blackrock or Templars if I have not.

@ Dark Revenant:  I used 7-zip before on my previous computer.  I have no interest to use it again just for one game mod only.  Similarly, if I want to play with a lot of Starsector mods, I need to get 64-bit Java on my computer; and I do not want to deal with that just for an unfinished game.  I do not live for Starsector.

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 04, 2015, 06:19:22 PM »

@Megas: Don't mind me, but just saying, in the time you spend posting on this forum in just one day, you could install 64-bit Java, 7-zip and all the major mods a dozen times over :P

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 04, 2015, 06:57:00 PM »

@Megas: Don't mind me, but just saying, in the time you spend posting on this forum in just one day, you could install 64-bit Java, 7-zip and all the major mods a dozen times over :P
Megas is a munchkin.  Don't bother trying to change his ways - he has only one way, that's ruthlessly exploiting the AI with minimal effort.  Which includes mods. :P

Also, no offense, if you don't care too much for Starsector (you're just playing it on the side, compared to Tran), why are you here?  Sure, everyone's opinion matters, but your way of playing is so out of whack compared to the rest of ours that any input you have for us is effectively worthless.  This pretty much encompasses everything you say - balance, gameplay, design.  Also, under the same heading as the second and third words in this paragraph, you seem really damn full of yourself when you actually have to give a reason as to why you want the download to be in something other than .7z.  You're making the rest of us, as well as Starsector, seem pretty damn unimportant - yet you keep coming back.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:21:25 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 04, 2015, 08:04:02 PM »

A lot of the things he says tends to be oddly hostile.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 71