Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 71

Author Topic: [0.8.1a] The Knights Templar 0.9.8f  (Read 626928 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.2a] The Knights Templar v0.9.4f
« Reply #435 on: May 29, 2015, 12:38:13 PM »

It is what I think.  Ye may agree with me or not.  Some may disagree to the point of feeling offense with that, but that is not my problem.

I agree with those that say "winning is not everything" because winning is the only thing that matters when winning (or living as long as possible) is your primary goal.

That said, while I should not let story influence my decision making and min-maxing, I fail at that sometimes, and let some immersion and role-playing in the game.  I wrote that I think Templars are blaspheming heathens, yet none of that should matter in my quest for power.  Yet, it did for a moment.

Also, when I play, I obey rules because if I do not, I can cheat, turn my character into a god, make rocks-fall-and-everyone-but-me dies, and say "I WIN!"

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 29, 2015, 03:15:53 PM »

It is what I think.  Ye may agree with me or not.  Some may disagree to the point of feeling offense with that, but that is not my problem.
No no, I was asking if that was entirely from your perspective/opinion, or if you were saying it as an objective fact.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 31, 2015, 03:13:38 AM »

There seems to be a delicious philosophical debate going on here....

Yet no one observed a tiny detail: the ships seem to be made from alien tech. Perhaps the templars didn't build them at all but received them from who knows what. And even revenant said at one point that temp ships are so efficient they don't need supplies. (proof is a few pages back)

So it seems like the ships take care of themselves and don't require much brain to maintain.
Which is fine because the templars are much like the Monolith faction from Stalker: fearless, ferocious, brainwashed fighters(not scientists).

What if they contacted an alien race, got indoctrinated, armed with some obsolete tech the aliens had lying around and got sent against humanity? Perhaps this race was responsible for the collapse as well? And is now trying to finish the job, divide and conquer as they say.

This seems similar to the mass effect reapers: they enslaved the Geth who thought of them as gods (a religious motif) and them sent them against the others.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 03:15:21 AM by Sabaton »

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 31, 2015, 08:40:37 AM »

There seems to be a delicious philosophical debate going on here....

Yet no one observed a tiny detail: the ships seem to be made from alien tech. Perhaps the templars didn't build them at all but received them from who knows what. And even revenant said at one point that temp ships are so efficient they don't need supplies. (proof is a few pages back)

So it seems like the ships take care of themselves and don't require much brain to maintain.
Which is fine because the templars are much like the Monolith faction from Stalker: fearless, ferocious, brainwashed fighters(not scientists).

What if they contacted an alien race, got indoctrinated, armed with some obsolete tech the aliens had lying around and got sent against humanity? Perhaps this race was responsible for the collapse as well? And is now trying to finish the job, divide and conquer as they say.

This seems similar to the mass effect reapers: they enslaved the Geth who thought of them as gods (a religious motif) and them sent them against the others.
Could be cool.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 31, 2015, 04:58:01 PM »

Well, the Templar lore points to pretty massive hole in the vanilla game: aliens don't seem to exist. Domain-era tech was basically considered godlike but here we have alien tech that puts the Domain to shame.

I really don't care where the tech comes from as much am grateful that such a faction exists in the game. They're the cosmic bogeyman that everyone is afraid of and no one can bargain with. That they're religious zealots sell it even more for me because their motivations can't be bought/sold or reasoned with. They're like the Borg in some sense: relentless, single-minded, and technologically superior to even the most ambitious human endeavors.

That said, with some character levels and skill points, they eventually become beatable and oh how sweet those victories are.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 31, 2015, 05:15:51 PM »

Well, the Templar lore points to pretty massive hole in the vanilla game: aliens don't seem to exist. Domain-era tech was basically considered godlike but here we have alien tech that puts the Domain to shame.
The Onslaught's codex entry states, IIRC, that it was originally designed to fight aliens
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Surge

• Captain
  • Go big or go home.
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 08, 2015, 12:13:04 AM »

These guys have been the bane of my existence, for quite a while I'd hang out in crusaded systems and lurk around until I saw a fleet without any cruisers or really low CR, then I'd swoop in with enough firepower to kill most pirate lord fleets, and I'd continue in this fashion until a paladin took note and singlehandedly wiped my fleet.

Right now I'm running a karkinos and odyssey with some mayorate cruisers armed with heavy polarizers, as well as whatever other cruisers I'm allowed to purchase, I have 10/10/10 with level 7 in most skills, and still that lone paladin, with hardly any support, is able to absolutely butcher my fleet with only a single priwen burst.

I think I'm gonna start trying to refit my ships for long range kinetic damage (except the odyssey, as I have a feeling it's current chirped pulse lasers are counter productive against the templars) and then mod them for EMP resistance, but right now I think it takes me 2-3 tries to get through most templar fleets without unacceptable losses.

Lycutena

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 08, 2015, 04:21:58 AM »

Surge, you're right on using long range (kinetic) weapons to fight Templars.  I find Templar ships vulnerable to gauss cannon, especially if you can go backward fairly well.

I also have used three Zeus large ballistic weapons on a solo Mobile AutoFactory to work against them.  It's tricky because my AutoFactory is near overload after firing all Zeus weapons, but it's possible to kill Templar cruiser with this setup moving backward in advance.  This is with character skills of course.

The more you can keep your ships away from Priwen burst, the longer they survive.  The AI have a bad habit of drawing vulnerable ships too close to Priwen burst.  I seen AI ships not using shield to block Priwen burst where they're in no danger to do so.  This makes long range weapons optimal and punish using close range weapons.

Even larger ships will slowly get damage by Priwen burst with the way AI handle things.

I remember using Shadowyard fighter & bomber swarm and one Shadowyard capital to kit them to death.  Mobility and again, range is the way to fight Templars.  Although, I did got an AutoFactory to work against them solo so I guess having enough long range firepower is adequate.  I also had fun soloing them with an Onslaught, but this is very tricky to do.  I had experimented using different weapons against Templar, but I found gauss cannons the best to use against them, especially with the player's flagship in standoff distance.

That said, with some character levels and skill points, they eventually become beatable and oh how sweet those victories are.

I had capture a Templar cruiser.  It's a lot of fun trying to keep it alive.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 04:27:31 AM by Lycutena »

Surge

• Captain
  • Go big or go home.
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 08, 2015, 07:46:49 AM »

The more I think about it actually the more I realize the karkinos would just simply benefit from a long range setup in general, it's the only blackrock ship I've seen that feels slow and clumsy, so closing in on targets that don't want to be closed on is difficult at best, and it's teleport's sheer range would certainly be better for a long range kit than a regular phase skimmer.

hypervelos, gauss, and sledge guns should provide me with more than enough distance to pull it off, ferros too since it IS a blackrock ship.

Axolotl

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 01, 2015, 06:26:15 AM »

Hello guys!

I have a game crash (null reference error) when I fire an Arondight at a Templar ship. Any ideas on how to solve the issue?
Thank you for your help!

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #445 on: July 01, 2015, 07:54:14 AM »

Hello guys!

I have a game crash (null reference error) when I fire an Arondight at a Templar ship. Any ideas on how to solve the issue?
Thank you for your help!

Can you post the end of your starsector.log?

Axolotl

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 01, 2015, 09:20:31 AM »

This is the end of the log:
Spoiler
106655 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.graphics.TextureLoader  - Cleaned buffer for texture graphics/backgrounds/background2.jpg (using cast)
149959 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.D  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatViewport.isNearViewport(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.addHitParticle(Unknown Source)
   at data.scripts.plugins.TEM_WeaponScriptPlugin.advance(TEM_WeaponScriptPlugin.java:344)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.ooOO.K$Oo.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.super.new.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.G.???0(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.oOOO.oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.?00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.D.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
[close]

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #447 on: July 01, 2015, 12:39:49 PM »

Ah, yeah, that is being fixed in the next release.

Axolotl

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 02, 2015, 12:57:10 AM »

Thank you for your help. Any ETA on the patch?

Eternity

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 02, 2015, 02:21:48 PM »

Same issue ;-)
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 71