Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 71

Author Topic: [0.8.1a] The Knights Templar 0.9.8f  (Read 626954 times)

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.2a] The Knights Templar v0.9.4d
« Reply #420 on: May 12, 2015, 03:20:29 AM »

@ sotanaht:  If Templar weapons are in the game, I will use them.  Not using them when they are available is grand stupidity on my part.

Without Flux Dynamics perks, Dominator does not have the flux stats to use more than one Arondight at a time.  Even if your Dominator has 40 to 50+ capacitors, the OP cost to support two is too high.  Onslaught can only use one Arondight comfortably.  I tried using two, but frequently could not fire them at the same time due to limited flux capacity.  Conquest is the only standard ship that can support multiple Arondights, and it is totally sick against big ships, but a Arondight Conquest gives up enough that it is more vulnerable to fighters than a more balanced Conquest would better defend against.

Multiple Galatines are more effective than one Arondight, and they are easier to use.  Use Arondight only if your ship can support it comfortably.  For a Paladin, Arondight is great.  Onslaught can use one decently.  Conquest is nasty with two; four is possible but not a good idea.  Dominator should not use Arondight, and stick with Galatines or standard heavy weapons instead.

Actually, putting Arondights on alternating fire is a superior strategy anyway.  Against frigates and destroyers it avoids overkill, and against larger ships you can keep pressure up by staggering your shots, preventing them from venting in between volleys.

And like you, my game only starts when I've maxed out most of the skills.  Until then I'm grinding food trades.

Out of the three, the Dominator is my favorite ship for Arondights.  The fixed hardpoints are actually much easier to aim (you lose tracking for turrets while the weapon is charging, but I always know where my hardpoints are pointed)  Definitely need skill ranks to make it worthwhile, but it can obliterate destroyers from the edge of scanner range.  Won't kill capitals as well the Ravana will, but it will still severely weaken their shields from a safe distance while whatever other ships you have move in for the kill.

A fully-charged point-blank burst from a Paladin?  Probably not.  Most other types of bursts?  Yes.  Also, the wider your shield arc is, the more effective it is against those bursts.

Arondights and Galatines are getting the hard flux mechanic nerfed significantly; they will remain powerful but not insane like they were before.

Maybe if you have them designed so you only face one fleet every <long period of time> I guess it wouldn't be much of an issue.
They are few and far between in vanilla. As for Nexerelin, that's not really my problem because Nexerelin is what controls how often their fleets spawn.

Is that all you are nerfing on the Arondight?  I didn't even know it had a hard flux on hull/armor hit.  I usually overload by striking the shields, because 3000 (now 4000) kenetic damage in one shot just wrecks the AI.  If their shields are down, the damage is more than sufficient to kill or at least severely wound the target, and the EMP will knock out weapons anyway even without overloading.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 03:58:29 AM by sotanaht »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 12, 2015, 05:59:50 AM »

I tried alternating fire, but I prefer linked.  Arondight has such a slow fire rate that I prefer to shoot all of them at or close to at the same time.  That also helps with vent spamming.

For Dominator, I use two Mjolnirs and two Galatines.  Four Galatines instead is usable.

Part of what makes Templars' ballistics so powerful is they raise flux on a hit.  Secace Autocannon is mostly weak, but Galatine will tear stuff up.  Arondight will incapacitate most ships whether you hit shields, armor, or hull.  Their DPS is not that great, Galatine and Arondight is useful primarily for overloading ships.

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 13, 2015, 12:48:29 AM »

I tried alternating fire, but I prefer linked.  Arondight has such a slow fire rate that I prefer to shoot all of them at or close to at the same time.  That also helps with vent spamming.

For Dominator, I use two Mjolnirs and two Galatines.  Four Galatines instead is usable.

Part of what makes Templars' ballistics so powerful is they raise flux on a hit.  Secace Autocannon is mostly weak, but Galatine will tear stuff up.  Arondight will incapacitate most ships whether you hit shields, armor, or hull.  Their DPS is not that great, Galatine and Arondight is useful primarily for overloading ships.

Test the Ravana+Arondight against a capital ship.  NO other weapons.  You fire all 3 once, then the AI vents immediately.  By the time you can fire a second time they are at 0% flux and you've accomplished nothing.  Fire the same 3 shots on 3 second intervals and by the time you come around to the 4th shot they are still hovering at around 80% flux.

Then take that same ravina against a frigate.  Fire all three at once, at least one WILL miss and there's a good chance all 3 do.  If you hit the frigate dies, if you miss you are SOL.  Put it on Alternating, you can fire one at a time, as soon as any one hits his shields are going to be at full overload for max duration.  All it takes is a single hit to kill most frigates with shields down.

With the Dominator, the two guns are spaced so far apart you aren't going to hit anything but a Cruiser with both at once.  Put on alternating and you can aim each one with enough precision to hit frigates.  Use the second aim line to guide the first shot (while rotating the ship), which will always be a fixed distance away.

Maybe on something with turrets instead of hardpoints,,, I've been having trouble aiming those with my technique, so linked fire might work better.  Of course, the Onslaught can't hit the same target with more than 2 at a time (and only if you aim off-center).  Same for the Conquest, though that one is so finicky to aim I wouldn't bother myself.

Don't forget about the range difference either.  The Arondight starts at 2500 and upgrades to over 4k.  The Galatine only has a base range of 900, forcing you to fight  close enough for the enemies to return-fire.  It's like comparing an Anti-materiel rifle to an AK.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 01:03:01 AM by sotanaht »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 13, 2015, 07:49:44 AM »

Which mod has the Ravana?

No standard ship can focus fire more than two Arondights at a time, and the Paladin can mount only one.  Other mod ships may focus-fire more than two, but I do not play with those (enough).  One shot is not enough to overload bigger ships, but two shots usually do.  AI can only vent safely if it does not overload and no other weapon fire comes their way.  I would not use Arondight only - that leaves attacker too vulnerable, not to mention giving target time to lower shield and/or vent, while other enemies swarm you unopposed.

I use Arondights on turrets because Onslaught/Conquest/Paladin use turrets.  It is a little awkward to use Arondight at first, but it is something player needs to take into account if he wants to use that weapon effectively.  It is not any harder than other minor UI hurdles such as effective omni-shield use or strafing.

Extra range on Arondight is good, but it will take longer to fight if relied on solely.  If you want to kill quickly, it is a good idea if your assault weapons have similar ranges.  This is a reason why I use Mjolnir (or Hellbore or HAG) instead of Gauss Cannon on Dominator.  On a Paladin, I rely on Sentenia and Rhon spam to kill, while the Arondight is my immobilizer.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 13, 2015, 03:48:36 PM »

Which mod has the Ravana?

The Mayorate

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
[0.65.2a] The Knights Templar v0.9.4e
« Reply #425 on: May 17, 2015, 06:29:44 PM »

We have some now content: sounds!  Also, some balance changes.  Saves should remain compatible.

Download The Knights Templar 0.9.4e
Download Mirror
(Requires LazyLib 2.0b)
(Requires ShaderLib Beta v1.06)
(Supported by Starsector+ 2.8.1) (Updated!)
(Supported by Nexerelin 0.3.8b) (Updated!)

We also recommend Version Checker to notify you when an update is ready.

Note: This mod uses custom shader effects.  If you suffer performance issues, adjust or disable these effects in Templars/data/config/templarShaders.json

Change Log
Version 0.9.4e
- Templar interaction music added
- New Excalibur Drive explosion sound
- Solved AI issue
- Rhon Laser range decreased to 500 from 600
- Arondight Accelerator hit detection improved
- Arondight Accelerator flux damage decreased
- Clarent MRM Tube range increased to 3000 from 2000
- Aegis Shield is reverted to old behavior (not toggled, 3 second duration)

Eternity

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.2a] The Knights Templar v0.9.4e
« Reply #426 on: May 18, 2015, 12:46:05 PM »

Cool !!! Many thanks !!!

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
[0.65.2a] The Knights Templar v0.9.4f
« Reply #427 on: May 21, 2015, 09:23:41 PM »

Oops.

Download The Knights Templar 0.9.4f
Download Mirror
(Requires LazyLib 2.0b)
(Requires ShaderLib Beta v1.06)
(Supported by Starsector+ 2.8.1)
(Supported by Nexerelin 0.3.8b)

We also recommend Version Checker to notify you when an update is ready.

Note: This mod uses custom shader effects.  If you suffer performance issues, adjust or disable these effects in Templars/data/config/templarShaders.json

Change Log
Version 0.9.4f
- Fixed Priwen Burst

Maelstrom

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.2a] The Knights Templar v0.9.4f
« Reply #428 on: May 28, 2015, 04:39:08 PM »

Why did you have to make them so religious themed? I mean, with such high-tech ships, I think they would pretty much be all atheists... anyway, I am going to kill them all for their moronic beliefs >:D     

I also have a tendency of importing massive amounts of illegal goods to luddic church just to *** with them lol

anyway, would be cool if you could make a less religious version since to me, its kind-of nonsensical since normaly, only rational and logical driven beings could be so advanced technologicaly since they would try to understand the science behind the weapons and not just paint ships with glowing religious logos if you know what I mean... Other than that, I really like the challenge these ships give except the stupid dash attack which would litteraly turn its crew into jelly... unless they are kerbals, that might actualy explain that part :P

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #429 on: May 28, 2015, 07:09:08 PM »

lol

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 29, 2015, 04:46:47 AM »

Being technologically advanced and faithful to God (or the devil masquerading as a false, pagan god) are not mutually exclusive.

In case of Templars, I think they are heathens mocking the true faith, no better than the Church of Ludd.  Either way, both factions are only good for being used then dying.  Food runs and powerleveling from Ludd, and overpowered weapons from Templars.

Templars (and Luddites) using religious-themed names is fine with me.

Creepin

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 29, 2015, 06:22:53 AM »

I mean, with such high-tech ships, I think they would pretty much be all atheists...
In real life, I would totally agree with you, but in computer game, I'll just let this tech-priest to look at you reproachfully.

Euqocelbbog

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 29, 2015, 12:10:03 PM »

Why did you have to make them so religious themed? I mean, with such high-tech ships, I think they would pretty much be all atheists... anyway, I am going to kill them all for their moronic beliefs >:D     

I also have a tendency of importing massive amounts of illegal goods to luddic church just to *** with them lol

anyway, would be cool if you could make a less religious version since to me, its kind-of nonsensical since normaly, only rational and logical driven beings could be so advanced technologicaly since they would try to understand the science behind the weapons and not just paint ships with glowing religious logos if you know what I mean... Other than that, I really like the challenge these ships give except the stupid dash attack which would litteraly turn its crew into jelly... unless they are kerbals, that might actualy explain that part :P

I can smell the neckbeard through my monitor.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 29, 2015, 12:23:29 PM »

In any computer game, all game elements are simply digital tokens to be used and exploited.  Templars could be teddy bears, unicorns, or whatever.  If I load Templars or Neutrino, it is because I want to turn my Paragon or other overpowered ships into even more overpowered godships with their overpowered weapons.  As for the factions themselves, they are a source of ships, loot, levels, and amusement when they explode.  Story and other fluff elements are completely irrelevant.

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 29, 2015, 12:26:15 PM »

In any computer game, all game elements are simply digital tokens to be used and exploited.  Templars could be teddy bears, unicorns, or whatever.  If I load Templars or Neutrino, it is because I want to turn my Paragon or other overpowered ships into even more overpowered godships with their overpowered weapons.  As for the factions themselves, they are a source of ships, loot, levels, and amusement when they explode.  Story and other fluff elements are completely irrelevant.
Wait what. That's from your perspective only right? You're not claiming that's how they are in general right? Because that would be a seriously rude statement if it's the latter.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 71