Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 71

Author Topic: [0.8.1a] The Knights Templar 0.9.8f  (Read 626856 times)

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] The Knights Templar
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2014, 08:38:12 AM »

I think the impossible capture rate is assuming the templar ship doesn't self destruct in combat combined with the rarity of vanilla capture rates.

sarducardun

• Commander
  • Welcome the angel of death
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2014, 08:42:54 AM »

You are indeed correct... I think i was thinking about the fighter being uncappable and unbyable and my mind decided the whole faction was... oops?

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Death and Danger
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2014, 11:45:08 AM »

More weapon classifications have been uncovered, as great cost to our scouts' lives. Use this information for your own protection.

Merced Cannon

Capable of unleashing a deadly stream of energy bolts, this alien weapon delivers damage at a rate uncharacteristic for its size.

Named by The Knights Templar to evoke heavenly reward and mercy, the Merced Cannon is the most common weapon employed by the dangerous group of warriors. To this day, scientists are unable to determine how this arcane weapon functions; the leading theory is that it uses a method similar to the revered Plasma Cannon. If this is the case, then the Merced Cannon is miniaturized and refined beyond anything the Domain of Man was capable of - understandable, considering the weapon's alien origins.

Sentenia Assault Cannon

This exotic weapon fires a devastating stream of energy bolts, which then home in on nearby targets for maximum effect against targets of all sizes.

Named to evoke a guilty sentencing, the Sentenia Assault Cannon is used to terrible effect by The Knights Templar. This deadly weapon has claimed an uncountable number of lives, earning its place as one of the most feared weapons of our era. To this day, scientists are unable to determine how this arcane weapon functions; the leading theory is that it uses a method similar to the revered Plasma Cannon. If this is the case, then this weapon represents technological mastery far beyond anything the Domain of Man ever accomplished; miniaturizing the technology to such a degree and causing energy bolts to independently home in on opportune targets would be considered fantastical, were it not for the living proof present in the Sentenia Assault Cannon.

Carnwennan Multi-beam
This peculiar defensive beam weapon seems to be built into most Templar ships. The distribution and quantity of beams per port varies per design.

Judging from dissected samples of what The Knights Templar label as the Carnwennan Multi-Beam, this weapon operates in a manner similar to known domain burst point defense beams. However, it seems that the alien designers of this weapon managed to overcome the flux cycle issues that plague burst beams, allowing a continuous stream of bursts. Needless to say, efforts to reverse-engineer this weapon have met with failure.

Farlarzia

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2014, 01:18:51 PM »

I understand this is probably just because your posting content as you make it, but I REALLY like the multi staged reveal of this mod. The fact that its exectuted really well, and the extremly high quality of what is revealed is making this compleltly awesome. And I'm sure its not just great for us either, as it helps keep interest and intrigue into the mod up, as well as building hype  :)
I seriously can't wait for this mod, I'm really exited, and I've rarely seen something of this calibre on these forums.
TL;DR This mod is good, I guess.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Anti-Flux
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2014, 12:42:56 AM »

These weapons overload reactors on impact, even on a strike against hull. If the Domain got their hands on these designs, energy generation technology would leap ahead by centuries. Alas, we are not so lucky; these weapons are extremely dangerous and must be avoided at all costs.

Secace Autocannon

This weapon lacks stopping power but delivers a powerful flux charge, disrupting systems and raising the target's flux levels on impact.

Unusual even amongst Templar weapons, the Secace Autocannon can strain and even overload unshielded targets, cementing its status as a dangerous support cannon capable of crippling unprepared ships. The method of operation is completely unknown; the energy released by the exotic Secace shells seems to be shunted into the target's reactor rather than dissipating on the hull, an effect that previously had only been observed as a side-effect of the Tachyon Lance.

Galatine Heavy Disruptor

This powerful cannon shoots uniquely dangerous projectiles at a high velocity, disrupting systems and overloading reactors in a wide blast area.

The Galatine Heavy Disruptor is regarded by tacticians and battlefield commanders to be the single most dangerous weapon yet encountered by humanity. Few Domain ships can hope to withstand a Galatine fusillade before being overloaded, flamed-out, and rendered completely helpless. The sheer combat utility of this weapon remains unmatched; however, it is not without flaw. The Galatine's detonation does not distinguish between friend and foe, so at knife-fight ranges it can cause significant disruption to the ship that fired it. Furthermore, this weapon has a finite ammo supply, so in protracted battles it will eventually stop firing, significantly weakening its wielder.

Scientists rarely get a chance to inspect a Galatine Heavy Disruptor in working order. As of yet, little progress has been made to understand this weapon. Captains are advised to stay out of range of this weapon if at all possible.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2014, 08:55:33 AM »

I understand this is probably just because your posting content as you make it, but I REALLY like the multi staged reveal of this mod. The fact that its exectuted really well, and the extremly high quality of what is revealed is making this compleltly awesome. And I'm sure its not just great for us either, as it helps keep interest and intrigue into the mod up, as well as building hype  :)
I seriously can't wait for this mod, I'm really exited, and I've rarely seen something of this calibre on these forums.
TL;DR This mod is good, I guess.

I'm really happy the reception has been good so far. We've been getting an absolute ton of work done very quickly, and the overall level of polish has been high from the get-go. A lot of things can't be shown through these teaser posts, though, like the sound effects and the ways the faction's weapons synergize and interact, and the sheer FEEL of the faction...

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2014, 01:11:48 PM »

Don't know about the feel, but at least the look is definitely good. And i think i can probably trust you for the sound as well.

Just a bit worried about their strength. I know, boss faction and all... I just hope you'll manage to draw a straight line between strong and unfair.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2014, 02:16:34 PM »

They are kind on the neutrino level of power, maybe higher. But I completely trust DR and cyc about getting them cool to fight and hard to acquire enough to be a fantastic cherry on a cake for the campaign.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2014, 03:19:50 PM »

An important thing to know is that when you fight them and you're prepared for the fight, it's very easy to ensure you outnumber them.

All in all, they are strong, but fairly predictable in the sense of that you know the odds from the start.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2014, 04:49:22 PM »

They are kind on the neutrino level of power, maybe higher. But I completely trust DR and cyc about getting them cool to fight and hard to acquire enough to be a fantastic cherry on a cake for the campaign.

Definitely higher.  Neutrino just has numbers to help them; the Templar numbers are probably not as high but they have a number of unique mechanics that make them very powerful against everything (but still beatable).

The next post will probably be about their central mechanic: shields.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2014, 10:46:43 PM »

One thing I Would like to know is, WHY are these things captureable if they are just going to be hanger queens and player traps?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2014, 12:33:06 AM »

They're powerful enough to be worth the cost, but not so powerful as to break the game.  In my own tests, they're viable in the player's fleet; you just have to treat them as another rung up the ship classification ladder.

In UsS, you're pretty much out of luck. You'd never be able to make one of these ships profitable, but they do sell for a nice wad of cash.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Templar Shields
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2014, 03:28:26 AM »

One of the more complex facets of the ships used by The Knights Templar is the Lattice Shield Matrix, a unique defense system. Enveloping the entire ship, the lattice shield does not have any open spots nor defined geometric shape to exploit, unlike Domain shield technology. Furthermore, while damage done to the ship does generate hard flux, an active lattice shield neither prevents hard flux from being dissipated, nor does it generate any flux by itself. As a result, the Lattice Shield Matrix is a passive defense system, remaining on indefinitely as long as the ship's flux level is not too high. However, the lattice shields do not provide total protection; some damage does bleed through, depending on how overtaxed the ship's reactor is. The shield becomes less effective when the ship's flux level increases, until it eventually shuts off entirely.

Due to how powerful these shields are, captains are advised to wait until the opposing Templar ship has fired its weapons enough to build a significant amount of flux, leaving the ship vulnerable to fire.

If a shield is taxed enough, it will flash red.  Once the shield becomes critical, it will sustain the red color. It is unknown as to why the alien civilization that designed these ships made such an obvious tactical telegraph. Perhaps they were fundamentally more chivalrous than our own species?

When the shield goes down, it is the best opportunity to do damage to the Templar ship.  However, beware the fact that most of their weapons will be overcharged from the high flux and that their burst will be at its most powerful...

Templar ships have an additional defense system known as the Priwen Burst Shield.  It partially phases the hull for a short time to avoid projectiles, before cataclysmically returning to real space, inducing a resonant flux burst which projects a powerful shear force while damaging and disrupting nearby ships with arcs of flux-rich energies.  The Priwen burst is not particularly powerful while the ship is at low flux levels, useful only as a minor defensive tool.

At a higher flux level, the burst is more powerful and has a wider area, making it useful for redirecting projectiles back at the ships that fired them and scrambling missiles in every direction.

At even higher flux levels, the burst becomes strong enough to damage nearby ships.

Should ever the Templar ship reach a critical flux level, the burst becomes an effective option to punish ships that go in for the kill after the shields go down.  At this state, the burst is at its most deadly and is capable of doing significant damage to nearby ships.  Frigates in particular need to be wary about being being swatted out of the battle by a critical burst.

Together, these systems are extremely effective and require clever tactics to overcome.  Be careful out there, Commander.  Countless good men and women died out there to bring us this information.

Lattice Shield Matrix
An alien defense system that covers the entire hull of the ship, passively dissipating damage. Operates at high efficiency at 0% flux and degrades to half efficiency at a higher flux level. The shield's damage absorption rate compares to Core epoch shield generators.

Priwen Burst Shield
The ship partially phases and shunts its built-up flux potential outward, ravaging nearby objects in the process. Power and duration is based on the ship's flux level. Generates flux.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2014, 05:16:37 AM »

Just how powerful will these ships be? Are they on the same level with the boss ships in SS+ arcade?

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2014, 06:02:38 AM »

They're balanced for the campaign against higher-level player fleets.  Their smallest fleets are very dangerous against weak player fleets; even a group of 2 Jesuits and a Teuton wing can do bad things to a level 1 player in a single destroyer or cruiser, but by the time you're in a full fleet with significant player skills (around level 25) you can clash with a group of, say, 3 Crusaders, 3 Jesuits, and 2 Teuton wings with moderate losses.  Their larger, more powerful fleets, are truly devastating and require careful planning or extreme (40+) player levels (or both, in the case of their very best fleets).

They also have gated spawns, i.e. the maximum fleet power they can spawn gets higher over time, and their best fleets (like always) tend to roam around Antioch, their star system.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 71