Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 98

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Scy V1.66rc3 (2023/03/19)  (Read 1101492 times)

ThatOneWeirdo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Scy V1.64rc6 (2021/05/02)
« Reply #1350 on: May 20, 2021, 08:28:36 AM »

The Stymphalian Bird works exactly the same way with or without System Expertise. Having more charges does nothing and that's intended, the accelerated regen is enough of a benefit.
Alright, thanks! I've spent a little more time with it and must say that I really like its design, I think the boost thing is very cool, especially the slow-motion you get if you use shields after teleporting. I managed to solo the derelict mothership with it, so I guess it's already pretty broken against unshielded targets haha.

Master Troano

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: May 20, 2021, 09:20:18 AM »

Absolutely love this mod, amazing aesthetics!

Is it just me, however, or does the Scy faction die pretty easily in Nexerelin (both random and non-random). They also appear to lose most fights (both in-person and autocalc).

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: May 20, 2021, 01:03:34 PM »

Is it just me, however, or does the Scy faction die pretty easily in Nexerelin (both random and non-random). They also appear to lose most fights (both in-person and autocalc).

I remember losing with them a lot, but I do that with a lot of ships.
Not sure about the faction. They've taken a bit of a beating but it's my first playthrough with Scy enabled in forever, so that's not much of a sample size. Besides, Tri-Tachyon isn't doing too hot either and nobody can accuse them of having subpar ships.

Nuggnugg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: June 06, 2021, 09:30:03 AM »

i am doing my first playthrough with SCY a commission. Amazing looking ships and i have lots of fun trading, smuggeling and exploring, but when it comes to the combat i just can seem to get them to work (i still havent invested in any of the capitals). I usually dominate 2 star danger level fleets with other doctrines, but with SCY the AI seems to either permanently run away from hostiles or overextend and get absolutely fu***d.
I'm probably just bad though, and will keep trying to make it work. I might be missing some crucial ships that can create more space for flanks and skirmishing.

#edit: I just bought a siren. It changes everything
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 04:06:22 PM by Nuggnugg »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: June 06, 2021, 11:14:02 PM »

The best advice I can give you: Scy needs to outnumber the enemy. Relying on cheap and fast distraction frigates is paramount so that other ships can cycle in and out of combat to vent. Additionally Scyan ships can run very hot given their high venting rate so installing the biggest meanest gun is not a bad idea even if you are ridiculously outfluxed.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: June 07, 2021, 12:17:09 AM »

Yeah, Scy ships are built around team-fighting more than individual heroics. Think of them as more like RTS units than other Starsector ships and you've got a better handle on how they work; always together, never alone, and build them to cover each others' weaknesses.

Nuggnugg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: June 07, 2021, 05:40:07 AM »

Thanks for the tips! The fights are getting alot easier (and fun) as my fleet is growing. 2 manticores, 2 sirens, 2 corcottas and a khalk + 3 destroyers and 5 frigates at this point.
There seems to be alot more openings i can exploit at this point (im flying the bird) and the AI seems to make fewer misstakes (probably the combination of a bigger fleet providing relief + more officers). Cant wait to start flying the capitals, they both look absolutely amazing!

I might look into getting some more frigates for distraction purposes ^^

And thank you for the amazing faction mods Tartiflette, they are literally second to none. I can barely even even imagine a playthrough without O.R.A, DA and SCY at this point. I appreciate it so much i might even make a donation ^^

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: June 07, 2021, 11:04:56 AM »

Thanks! I'm glad to hear you are enjoying them.

Master Troano

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: June 08, 2021, 01:16:21 PM »

Hey, quick question: is the Kimono supposed to flux out so easily on all default loadouts?

SpaceDrake

• Admiral
  • Piloting space mecha for fun and profit(?)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: June 08, 2021, 02:29:04 PM »

The best advice I can give you: Scy needs to outnumber the enemy. Relying on cheap and fast distraction frigates is paramount so that other ships can cycle in and out of combat to vent. Additionally Scyan ships can run very hot given their high venting rate so installing the biggest meanest gun is not a bad idea even if you are ridiculously outfluxed.

Yeah, Scy ships are built around team-fighting more than individual heroics. Think of them as more like RTS units than other Starsector ships and you've got a better handle on how they work; always together, never alone, and build them to cover each others' weaknesses.

Which is to say: if you're playing in Nex in particular, there are certain scenarios in which Scy might struggle, especially in the early match, because of the interaction of officer mechanics and deployment pool. Player Scy fleets absolutely need a deep officer corps, and if you're trying to take on things like a Grand Invasion Fleet or a Task Force alone, it might turn into a real struggle because the NPCs can absolutely shatter the standard officer cap, even beyond player skills (I've seen large fleets with fourteen officers). It might not even be a bad idea to run one or two AI frigates or destroyers, rather than a Radiant, and give them both cores in order to boost your officer numbers a bit.

Souvenir

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: June 11, 2021, 05:47:02 PM »

This faction mod is really well crafted. Balanced power levels, precise but creative design, and also eye candy! Exploring the various missile types was a blast. First time fighting Scy, being a smarty-pants captain, I shot down their laser torp spam without raising shields, only to have them all explode in my face. Perfection. 

Also, that engine hum is glorious.

- The Nemean Lion targeting system AI might not be using a high enough enemy ship detection range, making it enter defensive range mode too often (e.g. against simulator Onslaught). Typical capital weapon ranges with ITU should be around 1440-1600, or maybe it's not designed to solo a capital, hence the no enemy threshold being only 800 for switching into defensive range mode? I can see how it would be need to be different if fighting frigates and destroyers though...

- Also, does anyone know what effect losing the external flight deck on the Keto does?

Scy is my absolute favorite mod to play alongside vanilla. High risk, high reward playstyle. Although if Diable had an even bigger mech... Just kidding.

EadTaes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: July 05, 2021, 02:37:15 PM »

I've had Scy Nation in my mod list for a over a year maybe 2 now. At first to me it was just an added faction to fight with that ascetically still fitted with the the look of the vanilla factions.

First real exposition tot he faction was to it's anti-fighters miniguns which at the time were not only good for killing fighters but also for shield pressure. (think they dealt hardflux back then, not sure but they were more effective vs shields back then than now from what I recall.)

Plus my fights against the SCY fleets were always a challenging, but my first 2 attempts at playing with the SCY nation ships and weapons were quite misserable failures. However my 3rd and most recent attempt went very differently when I decided to use Manticores with with the Missile cruiser and beam cruisers together. It was spectacular! Adding siege Carriers latter only push the whole thing over the edge into ROFLSTUMP territory.

Did play with the singularity weapon many times always super powerful, always a double edge sword for AI fleets so I always opted out of using it. (just happy AI fleets don't spwn with it, as far as I know)

However so far I am having an issue with making builds that use the Kacc and hemor weapons. Not so much issue with KAcc but HEmor is like WTH was the concept? Because right now I am trying to make exploration fleet with cheap to fit Hemors on Corocotta cruisers and it is just not working yet. The range is short, the projectiles are slow, accuracy seems so so, flux to fire seems high for what it does. Also looking into the Dracanae cruiser, golly gee if you don't have a captain with the right skills and right hull mods when ever it'S ability activate 80% of the weapons go offline!!!!

Siren I just hate the AI can't handle. But I get it.

The Geryon I love for early game fights but since It cannot Reload missiles later on I have to discontinue it'S use. :( The easy thing to do is to give it Missile-auto forge skill, but that's been done a lot, wouldn't it be possible to make it dock to a ship can can replenish missiles to make it reload or maybe create a new capital ship hull dedicated to that, or maybe a special modual for the Xanthus to do that? Sometime like this would also greatly help the Lealaps which after experimentation I tossed aside. In one of you post you said you felt the SCY navy felt pretty complete and didn't know what you could add that would not be excessive I think something that fills this role could be it. I could write chapters on ideas of different ways off iteration for this, contact me if you want concept ideas.

Orion artilleries loved them on other faction ships, Find them expensive on SCY ships.
Ricochet guns are nice.
Laser torps feel underwhelming but maybe i just have not experimented with that enough yet.
Super charge Pulse beams, Meh, Think I need to try them again just with MORE of them.
Nano needlers feel good, but i miss it flux pressure it had on enemy shields from before but I get it.
Zone Scorchers from the simulation testing I have done could be OP, have not yet tried using them in Mass since they also killed your missiles and Strike-crafts which my fleets have always been heavy on, but If I can't get the Hemor and Kacc fleet working I'll switch to trying it out.
Cluster missiles and the Ker bombers I kinda both dislike for how it deploys, don't get me wrong I can see that full hits of those weapons are powerful, but they often miss or get destroyed before full deployment and are very ineffective vs mobile targets. Essentially that are good for nuking starbases and super fat lumbering capitals.
Coasting missiles, love em, why not large and small variants?
Arc missiles, useful in mass, but not amazing, Large swarm launcher version would be nice I think.

Oh dang I could go on but this is getting long. Dont expect you to answer everything, but Would really like you design idea and intended method of use for the Hemors and Kaccs, esspecialy the Hemors.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: July 05, 2021, 11:38:57 PM »

The miniguns haven't changed, they still deal a little bit of hard-flux.

KAcc and HEMor are basic weapons, they are straightforward high damage per shot guns that should never be out of place in a build so I don't know why they wouldn't work.

Coasting Missiles are not available in small or large mounts for the same reason Pilums aren't: long range missiles are easily massed into death balls, but at least medium mounts have a lot of competition between good missiles.

LeStinke

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: July 12, 2021, 07:39:24 PM »

This is probably my favourite mod on this site especially when it comes to aesthetics, don't get me wrong I really like all aspects of this mod but the unique but lore friendly aesthetics are just the cherry on top, kicking my Corocotta to full burn and watching that engine plume is what I live for. Seriously the whole one big jet engine with afterburner kinda effect really makes the Scy ships look like they have the most advanced engines money can buy, it looks like a clean efficient burn which is as far as I understand exactly what these guys are supposed to have. It's high tech without being the same old high tech everyone's used to, the ships all have a clear intended role in a fleet, there really aren't any jack of all trades super ships here, what you see is exactly what you get, and that kind of ship design imo is exactly what makes this game shine.

The attention to detail here is also something I have to talk about, the KAC really didn't need that electric arcing effect every time it fires, it would have looked fine without it, but it looks a whole lot better because someone took their time to add a detail that you're not even necessarily going to be paying much attention to, as an artist I can say from experience that those kinds of little details often don't get a lot of attention when people talk about your work, but they show just how dedicated you are to your vision, so kudos for that. I came here looking for some aesthetically pleasing ships to blow up, stayed for the beautiful top tier cruisers and innovative design choices.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 07:54:34 PM by LeStinke »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: July 12, 2021, 11:39:21 PM »

Thanks!
Not to use that opportunity to toot my own horn, but I tried to start a "mod review thread" of sorts and this would be a perfect fit for it, would you mind if I (or you yourself) re-posted your message in that thread?

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 98