Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 98

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Scy V1.66rc3 (2023/03/19)  (Read 1097555 times)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Scy [23/05]
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2014, 11:51:48 AM »

The setFlagShip() in the API is not what you think it is. In fact it does some really really weird things, the AI will take over admiral orders for you from the newly designated flagship which you are not in control of.

I am not aware of a method that will allow you scripting wise to jump between ships like a teleportation thing.
That's a shame  :-[
Might be useful for other things though. Meh.

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2014, 10:30:53 PM »

damn your animations are awesome, would love to help but all I can do making ships out of 3D models made from simple objects and modify already made scripts and stuff, even then I would need help with those

I love your massive built in ship weapon animations, would love some help with one of mine if you are willing

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2014, 03:06:36 AM »

I love your massive built in ship weapon animations, would love some help with one of mine if you are willing
Sure I can help, animating sprites is mostly about careful preparation, moving parts is done pretty quickly then.

haloguy1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2014, 10:24:05 AM »

I have to say WHEN WILL THIS MOD BE AVAILABLE because i would love to see those ships in action .

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2014, 11:52:05 AM »

Well I finished the bulk of a basic set of weapons

So I have to start creating all the ships and weapons files before having a test run version of the mod with a couple of missions, probably within a week (without the good stuff sadly).
After that, scripting of the ship systems, hull mods and built-in weapons (and that could take some time).
Then balancing a bit to a first campaign release.
And then, special weapons, followed by special ships.

And there we are at V1.0 in something like a month I hope (depend if the work is interfering)

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2014, 12:03:10 PM »

Your weapons look gorgeous, kudos for the lightning.

Also, kinetic, fragmentation, explosive and energy in that order?

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2014, 12:10:04 PM »

Also, kinetic, fragmentation, explosive and energy in that order?

Yep, although the muzzle flashes of the kinetic rail gun will probably change to something more... rail gun-ish. And some colors will be shifted.

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2014, 01:56:48 PM »

Looks awesome.
May i ask what tool of the trade you use? Mind elaborating on your workflow also?

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2014, 02:25:30 PM »

I use Photoshop. While he is a bit cumbersome for animating (basically, you can't change your mind midway) it allows me to add all those lighting effects on the fly.
I will make a tutorial to show my work flow this weekend if I got the courage, showing a trick or two to quickly make those effects. But the short version is: preparation! Excepting the most basic stuff, I animate every pieces one by one, each alone in a group with one layer per frame. And only when the animation works I add the lights.

ahrenjb

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2014, 05:57:32 PM »

I like everything about this art with the exception of the drive assemblies. Very... nontraditional. Beyond that, I like the lore and the art. The animations are fantastic, and I can't wait to see this come together into a functional mod.

Most important advice I can give, having played ~20 or so mod factions, is make sure each of your ships has some individual character, and some distinct disadvantages. Too many mods go for the "perfectly well rounded" ship approach, and it's flavorless and uninteresting. If your concept and balance talent is anything like your artistic talent, this will soon become one of the heavy hitters.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2014, 01:24:19 PM »

*Achievement unlocked: It's ON (get your first ship in the game)*
Spoiler

Okay, it's only the base sprite with no blinkers and vanilla weapons plus engines, but LOOK! It's my ship! In the game!!!! *victory dance*
[close]
Well I'm slowly familiarizing myself with java, so don't expect stuff to be released anytime soon, but it's going forward.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2014, 02:20:57 PM »

Nice work. I think your animated engines coupled with a really faint engine flare set in the engine_styles.json could be really cool. :0

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2014, 02:34:01 PM »

Awesome; this'll be pretty neat to see in game.

Looking forward to it.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2014, 10:43:04 PM »

Just for your information.

Any ship system that increases rate of fire of your guns (accelerated feeder, for example) might desync with your firing animations, especially with flashes.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2014, 10:24:43 AM »

I suggest a new system that charges the shells before firing, which would add additional damage. It would be like high energy focus for ballistics. Maybe even EMP damage could be added?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 98