Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 98

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Scy V1.66rc3 (2023/03/19)  (Read 1102731 times)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: Scy V0.1 [23/06] CAMPAIGN realease + EXERELIN compatibility files
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2014, 11:28:01 AM »

Haven't time to play that much the campaign with them but so far the hyper-aggressive fighting style is very apparent, good job on that.

While it was certainly the objective, I think I went a bit too far in this direction: on one hand they can one-shot any ship caught alone, on the other hand, they get obliterated as soon as they vent or overload. That make the slightest advantage or disadvantage determinant in the outcome of the battle, and there is no room for mistakes. I think it's a bad recipe for a very frustrating gameplay (especially when repairs are so expensive)... I think I'll lower a bit their weapons output, decrease a tad their health but increase the armors across the board.

I'm a bit surprised by their variants, lot of nailer boats, which i'm not really sure of their purpose. Work in progress maybe?
Yeah that's a bit of a bad habit I have: I hate fighters, but I didn't made an anti fighter weapon yet so I must spam Nailers to compensate. I made a few other variants for the next release.

I also changed a bit the "assault" variants meant for the AI: now they are only slightly more powerful than what you can get at very high level. That should reassure those who where worrying about giving the AI an unfair advantage.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Scy V0.2 [01/07] Custom engines, new drones and weapons, polish...
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2014, 02:17:04 PM »

Changelog:
Spoiler
V0.2
01/07/2014
changed Lamia ship system to Precision Gears
finalized implementation of the custom engines (big thanks to Debido for that)
removed Manticore ship system (too buggy, I'm working on it)

30/06/2014
Changed the behavior of the Siren main gun: does massive EMP damage on hull hit, and Kinetic damage on shield hit
added Siren ship system: attack drones
added Manticore ship system: shielded torpedo (wip)

29/06/2014

implemented basic custom engines
added Orion Artillery (slightly buggy until next update)

28/06/2014

added Tisiphone ship system: anti-missiles missile launcher
randomized the way offensives fleets pick their targets in vanilla campaign
modified the AI "assault" variants to match a high level player loadout
increased the venting rate of all ships

25/06/2014

added more variants for most ships
corrected a few crash inducing mistakes in Exerelin
added sthenos/khalkotauroi/Orthrus ship system: secondary thrusters (increase speed and acceleration, decrease maneuverability)
[close]

It's a good one: at least visually we're getting closer and closer of what I envisioned for Scy, thanks to the new custom engines. Still, I have a lot of work to do on the ship-systems front, and I have some ideas for fun weapons too.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 01:49:48 PM by Tartiflette »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Scy V0.2 [01/07] Custom engines, new drones and weapons, polish...
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2014, 11:07:06 AM »

Some new stuff, if you didn't checked the daily updates, here a short list:

Don't get fooled by the stats, it's actually quite powerful and, well , a bit buggy at the moment but fun nevertheless. Will be corrected once 0.65a is out. In the meantime I can upload a less buggy but simplified version if it bother too many people.

Extremely effective at disabling fighters engines and frigates weapons even through their shields! It's less effective against bigger target unless they have no shields and you maintain the ray on them a few seconds.

The Manticore cruiser now comes in 3 flavours:

The new Manticores in action:
Spoiler

[close]

Also, fancier engines!
Spoiler
[close]

And tons of small adjustments, see the changelog:
Spoiler
V0.3

07/07/2014

changed variants, missions and fleet files to include new weapons and  ships
corrected typos and missing descriptions
changed Phase Missiles damage type to ENERGY (was high-explosive)
bit of balance:
   most weapons have lost a bit of DPS and Flux per shot, reducing their tendency to instakill shieldless ships. (didn't changed the Energy Blaster)
   all ships have less efficient shields to compensate for the less demanding weapons (mostly true for cruisers)
   cruisers are a tad slower
   Stheno is now more fragile

06/07/2014
new weapon: Manticore Phased Missile launcher
Improved Khalkotauroi main weapon: the output on the gun is now dependent of the state of the 6 accelerator pods (thanks Debido... again!)
changed the Hacking weapon to be an energy slot instead of balistic

05/07/2014
new weapon: hacking CommLink
bug fixes related to weapons animations
did a bit of cleanup in the descriptions
even fancier fancy engines!!! I needed to point it out: Debido is pulling some even more awesome scripts for the engines...

04/07/2014
fancier engines: now the length of the flame change if the ship has 0 flux boost, or is using his cruise drive (and it's totally awesome, watch the gif in the screenshots!)

03/07/2014
added a second Manticore version:  MIRV torpedoes main weapon
[close]

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Scy V0.3 [07/07] weapons shipsystems and polish...
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2014, 12:15:38 PM »

That Hacking CommLink sounds fun.

Chaos Farseer

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2014, 08:40:16 PM »

Those Manticore missile launchers animate really nicely and look fun to use. Dayum.

Farlarzia

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2014, 07:51:26 AM »

In the manticore phased missile text, it says being out of arms way, where I think it should be harms.
Apart from that, those weapons look awesome, and sound awesome to actually use.

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2014, 03:07:00 AM »

If you still need a station I'll do it. Will probably repurpose a tarsus freighter as well as give it a bit more of a living space look (gears are turning in my brain, give me a couple of days and I'll be able to do it.
"Captain! You can't call our greatest dreadnought 'The Parrot'"
"Watch me"
Spiral Arms: Ship Sprites for Everyone

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2014, 03:32:30 AM »

Yes I could use a new station! I'll probably release V0.4 with the curent one later today, but I would appreciate a better bigger badder station next time. Thanks for your help!

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Scy V0.4 [16/07] Mission time!
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2014, 11:26:30 AM »

Essentialy plish, and a 12 missions story:
Spoiler

[close]

plus a new ship:

Changelog
Spoiler
V0.4
14/07/2014
Reduced some Deployment Costs (frigates and Khalkotauroi)
seriously nerfed the Medusa EMP (what was I thinking?)
   -The EMP Nova is now a weapon: It overload all ships within range: friends, foes and the Medusa herself alike.
   -The duration depend of the distance from the Medusa.
   -The Medusa get the Assault Shield ship system to help her getting in range.
corrected the messed up variants that showed the decoratives weapons
12 story driven missions:
   -fight with and against Scy
   -random versus mission
   -station defense mission
   -new station for the defense mission
   -fancy backgrounds, to make cool screenshots when you win! (see said screenshots)
corrected a typo in the descriptions (thanks Farlarzia)
[close]

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2014, 11:44:59 AM »

I really don't have time to play mods recently but i might make an exception for this mission story. Plus with the backgrounds it look very pretty.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2014, 01:25:26 PM »

Okay, played the missions. Didn't had all those battle backgrounds though, is it normal?

Some of those missions felt absolutely unfair, maybe (probably) because i suck but on some battle you just get mercilessly slaughtered. I only won Red Vine because i played dirty by only deploying the Conquest and the two monitors, so that the SCI fleet don't use its full force, i was also forced to refit the Conquest with full kinetic guns and maxing the venting.

No idea how to win Golden apple and Whack a mole though. In the Tri-tach mission they have 6 frickin' cruisers and you can't focus on a target with your Hyperion as you constantly have a stream of missiles following you. For the other one, the two Apogee are atrocious to fight, hit and run is hard due to their high venting capacity and the constant HIL fire, going into a close range slugfest won't work either due to the ion drones.

I was probably lucky for ripping season and soldier of honor, as the enemy completely ignored the Atlas/Station.

I really liked mouse trap though, very fun to chase that one ship in an asteroid field.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2014, 11:58:26 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, though I don't know why you didn't had the backgrouds (works fine here)

As for the difficulty, I managed to beat all missions exept 2 but even then I was pretty close to win (Golden apple and Whack a Mole)... I'll check again, because it might have been sheer luck of derpy AI.
The trick is often to bog down the enemy in nebula, and only then deploy the hard hitting Orthruses and lealapes.

I guess I was too eager to show of with my new stuff and didn't tested is thorouly...

P.S.
I tried again most of the mission, Golden Apple and Whack were indeed way too hard, I took away some of the enemy ships (you can download it again). There is also the problem that the AI almost never uses the Siren and the Khalkotauroi main weapons. Still no clue about why you didn't had the backgrounds. What was the problem exactly? (One of the backgrounds changed since I took the screenshot but I doubt it's only that)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2014, 08:47:58 AM »

Okay, the Mod Feedback Survey (http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8122.0) has spoken: What Scy lack most is balancing, content and polish... A bit of everything then  ;D
For the polishing, of course most stuff will be corrected with time, but sadly there is some bugs that can't be dealt with until the next Starsector update (the Orion artillery being the main culprit here)

As for balance, while it's certainly far from done right now, I want to point out one thing: Scy will be weaker than vanilla! For two reasons, first by design (it's not a beginer fleet, but one for people that like a challenge) . Secondly for the simple reason that they are fast and they can pick their fights! If I balance them as strong as every other, they will be unstoppable. Then again, they might be too weak right now, and I'll keep an eye to improve everything.

As for content, do not fret, there are 6 more ships planned (including two battleships) and more weapons! But I will try to have those already included working perfectly before adding anymore (I'm always for polish over content)

There is one exeption to that. I finally come around the idea to include fighters in the faction (I hoped to avoid it, but between Exerelin requirements and balance isues, I must comply).
 Fighters will come in two flavors, cheap and high-end. Those are the cheap ones:

They are recycled containers with engines and weapons strapped onto them. Cheap slow and large, but surprisingly sturdy and powerfull. Do not underesimate them. Now gotta work on te high-end ones, and the carrier!

biotic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2014, 04:04:10 PM »

Well, for some reason the 0.4 mod crashes upon loading error reading: ship_system.csv is missing systems.
Dunno if anyone else had this problem.
Thought i should mention it.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2014, 02:13:01 AM »

That's strange, I don't have any problem here, do you use it with exerelin? Also be sure to delete the mod folder before extracting a newer version. It's still an early developpement and a lot of tings are changing between each release.

I reuploaded it to be sure. This version also have a lot of typos and weird descriptions rewriten, thanks to Mesotronik help!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 98