Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 67

Author Topic: [0.97a] Interstellar Imperium 2.6.4  (Read 940272 times)

Stealth16

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Interstellar Imperium 2.4.0
« Reply #780 on: April 17, 2021, 11:16:35 PM »

This thread really just hit such a dark revenant moment. Can't think of anything that's more in line for a DR product than people arguing about the quality of the mod for multiple pages (especially when it's one of the more technically impressive mods available LOL)

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
  • The Deployer of John Lennon's.
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 18, 2021, 06:51:54 AM »

People on the internet being people on the internet I guess. This kind of incident happens almost in every modding scheme I join to. Better just ignore it and move on to something more positive.
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

-Some random Youtube comment on video about Sonic OC.

Farya

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 18, 2021, 09:45:21 AM »

Was looking through the older posts here, found a picture with original artwork for II ships and saw a tug here. May I ask why it was eventually removed? Having an alternative to vanilla Ox might be a good addition. It might simply be a more efficient yet visible military tug or a more powerful one.

Patrick Swayze

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 18, 2021, 11:04:46 AM »

Y'all gotta stop bumping this thread because I keep getting excited when its on the first page.  ::)

Malleator

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: April 24, 2021, 08:40:58 AM »

<link removed -Alex>
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 10:28:28 AM by Alex »

HellBent

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 24, 2021, 09:34:47 AM »

Y'all gotta stop bumping this thread because I keep getting excited when its on the first page.  ::)

hah same

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 24, 2021, 10:27:53 AM »

Putting out a version of the mod without the mod-makers permission is bad form (entirely aside from it also possibly/probably? being illegal), please don't do that.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 24, 2021, 11:55:21 AM »

@Malleator: I've removed your latest post here. Please consider this an official warning.

Snarfblast

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 24, 2021, 11:59:24 AM »

Are people not aware they can play the old SS versions until mods have been updated?

Malleator

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 24, 2021, 12:01:49 PM »

Alright, I'll be serious. I'm sorry I was baiting you, Alex, a little that last post. I just want to say I love the mod a lot, and I even donated to my man Revenant because I love his work, and I just want people to be able to simultaneously enjoy 0.9.5 and his work, and I'm sorry for posting an unofficial port. I didn't know it was against the rules to post such a thing or even allude to having such a thing.

Are people not aware they can play the old SS versions until mods have been updated?

I mean, I have an entire folder of unofficial mod ports, so I could reply with, "Aren't you aware that you can play the latest version with all your mods RIGHT NOW without having to wait?" I guess I could wait, but why would I want to when I don't have to? I suppose not everyone has that choice, but I guess that's because of the rule against unofficial ports? I just thought it would be alleviating work required by the authors and just be the best of every world, but I guess not? I really don't know.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 12:10:12 PM by Malleator »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 24, 2021, 12:16:15 PM »

It's cool, I appreciate that you're coming from a positive place here. Just, not re-posting/changing the work of others without their permission is a foundational thing in the modding community, so anything that steps on that, for any reason, is not going to be allowed. I hope that makes sense!

Feel free to ask DR if he is ok with you posting this or not, btw. If he is, you're welcome to! And if he says he isn't - it'd feel kind of weird to post it anyway, no?

Malleator

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: April 24, 2021, 12:24:00 PM »

Hey yeah so in my alien view, open source modification is the cornerstone of mods, and publicly available mods are free game, but if that's not the case here that's just something I need to get used to. I may not understand why you or DR don't want DR's mod to be playable on the latest version, but I guess demz da' ruelz, and I'll respect that... Anyone know if the, "Unofficial Starsector Chat," Discord server is cool with unofficial ports?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 24, 2021, 12:30:21 PM »

What license a mod is released under is pretty much up to the mod's author. Which is why you'd want to ask them if they're ok with it or not! I can't imagine the Discord would have a different policy. But this is getting off-topic for the thread.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: April 24, 2021, 12:41:49 PM »

Anyone know if the, "Unofficial Starsector Chat," Discord server is cool with unofficial ports?
There's @AxleMC131 on the SUDC. Go ahead and tag him with that question. He'll explain it to you.

bombasticmori

• Ensign
  • I like moths!
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 24, 2021, 04:56:55 PM »

I've ported a couple mods here for 0.95a, and I just want to say permission/licensing is extremely important.  Mods occupy a legal grey area in terms of intellectual property, but because of that the foundation of modding culture is creator driven and based around a creator or team's design.  I come primarily from the Bethesda modding community, which also struggles with this a lot. "Mod mods" and unofficial patches get thrown around there a lot, so its important to understand what is permissable.  This isn't to try and gang up on Malleator or anything as it seems like an honest mistake, but this is why stated permissions/licensing is super important for these specific situations.  It may seem unnecessary, but the artistic integrity provided to creators is important. Anyway I know this is off topic but just wanted to weigh in.  I really miss this mod and will be patiently awaiting its release.
Lover of moths
Nexus Profile: NovaCoru
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 67