Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 67

Author Topic: [0.97a] Interstellar Imperium 2.6.4  (Read 939912 times)

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Interstellar Imperium 1.19.0
« Reply #480 on: February 07, 2019, 02:31:03 AM »

Gotta be honest, I preferred the old gold colour.

Null Ganymede

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 07, 2019, 02:36:53 AM »

It looked awesome by itself or next to Diable/DME fleets.

The new one is less flash, but the Vanilla fit is spot on and you can tell the spriting's gotten way more refined over time.  :)

Kittah Khan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 07, 2019, 02:42:31 AM »

I wonder what the carrum's front holes/tubes do. Looks like an integrated weapon of sorts?

JadedTarget

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 07, 2019, 11:39:17 AM »

When I saw the first teaser images I was all "This looks so bland."  That's mostly because the reworked Caeser had so many greebles but vastly improved the colors and detail over the old one.  Seeing that latest picture, though, it's clear that the art is more polished than the old style.  So I just want to add to the "I like the new style" comments because whether it's to everyone's taste or not, a lot of effort went into the sprites and they do look good.  And surely seeing them in action with GraphicsLib will have a huge effect on them as well.  Plus we're not sure exactly what the new lore is going to be but they seem to fit in with the Dystopian Sector feel and if the royal ships are still a thing then I'm sure they'll be sufficiently gaudy.  Obnoxious Gold with the glistening effect of the Starlight Cabal, right?  :p

Anyway, great work DR and Gwyvern!

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 08, 2019, 01:32:26 AM »

It's a lot more refined, that's for sure. The quality definitely went up. I do have to say that it stands out way less now though, for better or worse.

Cheru

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 08, 2019, 01:03:57 PM »

Any estimated date of release?

Sorry, just can't wait for my "nuke launchers", can't live without them xD

Well, if they are still there.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 08, 2019, 04:06:08 PM »

When it is done.

DrakonST

• Captain
  • Lizard-Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 09, 2019, 07:37:20 AM »

Well, i collect some information about impressions of new sprites on RU community and almost everyone love new graphics.

But my opinion is invariable. I more love old sprites. Maybe because i color-blind, and i realy not love low counts of little details in new sprites. In vanilla and old sprites absolutely another counts of details and style of execution.

As main problem - you realy need to do some work with ship engines, they look just as a pipe. And all of them are identical.

Second note - do some color patterns(just look on DA/ORA), ships look too faded and boring.

II at first it yelow color, new ships dont have any yelow elements.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 07:42:56 AM by DrakonST »
I a Russian. And i communicate with the help of Promt Translate. And I am a color-blind person.

jupjupy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 09, 2019, 08:04:15 AM »

As main problem - you realy need to do some work with ship engines, they look just as a pipe. And all of them are identical.

Now I wouldn't call it a main problem, or put it as bluntly as Drakon, but I do agree that the new sprite engines do look a little pipe-y. The identical-ness between them is fine, logical even, I just think they need a tiny bit more depth to them.

Overall, I do like the newer sprites, they feel much more utilitarian to me.
You see, Araragi-san, in a way, the supernatural is what's behind the curtain.
Normally, you only need to see what's happening on stage. That's how reality works.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #489 on: February 24, 2019, 09:15:30 PM »

One reason why the update is taking so long...

Meet the Carrum, the basic Imperial light freighter.  It's lightly armed and rather fragile, not very fast or maneuverable, but carries a ton of cargo.  All it gets for a system is 2x6 basic flares.  Until...

The first of three packages, this one costs 5/10/18/30 OP and significantly bumps up the ship's non-shield durability.  It's roughly at about the level of Heavy Armor, plus about half of Armored Weapon Mounts and Insulated Engine Assembly, combined.  Oh, and it modifies the ship system with some kind of defense- or durability-related benefit.  If this sounds overpowered, that's because it is.  The Imperial Packages are generally intended to be better than equivalent vanilla hullmods, so that you pick them over the vanilla equivalents.

The catch: Imperium hulls are re-balanced to have relatively mediocre base stats and a relatively large amount of OP.  Without one of these packages, an Imperial ship is flexible and can be built out to be generally decent or min-maxed for a specific role, much like many vanilla ships.  Add in one of those unique packages, however, and you essentially trade the extra OP for exceptional stats in a specific area.  It almost becomes a new ship... not one that's unilaterally better, but one that's certainly different.  As a result, each Imperial ship can fill a variety of roles, but each one tends to be specialized for a specific task.

You might recognize this one, because it's very similar to one of the old hullmods.  This one is also 5/10/18/30 OP, obviously improving range and accuracy.  If stacked with ITU, this can make for some intense long-range siege action.  Alternatively, the flat bonus disproportionately improves short-ranged weapons like Pulsars, enabling a different - and more potent - set of weapons in a general-use context.  Much like the Armor Package's maneuverability penalty (which becomes especially nasty if you add Heavy Armor), it isn't always helpful; the projectile speed and turret traversal penalties are quite noticeable and make the ship particularly vulnerable to fighters.

The Targeting Package tends to impart system mods that improve weapons in general, or have some kind of synergy with the play styles associated with the hullmod.

This last one is 10/20/30/60 OP, so quite a bit more expensive than the others.  It was a lot of fun tuning the benefits for this package, especially the directional speed boost.  You'd think that ships with the Elite Package need to be berserkers like the Safety Overrides hullmod tends to produce, but the reality is more nuanced.  While you can make balls-to-the-wall rushdown builds with this, it's also possible to treat it as an enabler for high-cost weapons like the Heavy Pulse Laser.

Elite system mods are particularly dramatic and usually make the ship better at being aggressive.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: February 24, 2019, 09:31:43 PM »

Woah.  That is... very shiny.  And also, yes, seems like it'd be a ton of work to get right.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #491 on: February 24, 2019, 09:52:36 PM »

Here's another one I want to share.  The rest I'll keep to myself... for now.

Decurion

Impulse Booster

Jump-Starter

Time Alter

Ultra

fatrat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 24, 2019, 10:30:16 PM »

Good work Revenant, this looks amazing so far, can't wait to see what you do with the Templars next.

Alphascrub

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 25, 2019, 01:32:40 AM »

Looks awesome. Thanks for all the hard work you are putting in DR and thanks for the update on progress.

Nezz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 25, 2019, 02:23:38 AM »

Love to see more build variance on ships and unique ship mechanics, so the new packages look incredible.

Are all of the System Mods going to be modifiers on the built-in weapons, or are there other effects planned?
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 67