Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 67

Author Topic: [0.97a] Interstellar Imperium 2.6.4  (Read 939697 times)

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Interstellar Imperium 1.19.0
« Reply #465 on: January 24, 2019, 10:21:36 AM »

It's definitely won't be easy to get over the old ostentatious golden ships.  I dunno, they seem less distinct than what they were.  The only way I can tell the new Interrex is an Interrex is by its general shape whereas the other had other features that I could quickly associate with that hull (blue front lights near the nose).

I'll definitely wait till I get the chanec to see how the new ships interact with the new II as well as the rest of the ships in the sector before I solidify my silly wrong opinions though, especially w.r.t. the Matriarch.

solardawning

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 24, 2019, 02:52:03 PM »

The new ship designs look wonderful. I like the general shape and profile, and I think I'm seeing lots of Cruisers with a Large mount, which is something I'm always happy to see!

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 24, 2019, 03:18:57 PM »

Let me check ...

first row: Auriga (or maybe a new freighter ?), Invictus, Decurion, Basileus
second row: Praetorian, Interrex, Legionary, Princeps

Right?

They all look great! Eager to play with and against these. ;D

Spoiler
Yes at first you miss the shiny/dirty gold that looked so nice, but with the new ones you have a more consistent, cleaner, yet better detailed ships.

I've always been a fan of the old Invictus while playing Starsector 0.8.1, IMO the new one looks much much better.

Old Basileus appearance = looks fragile, you don't want to bring it close to any enemy ship; new Basileus appearance = looks robust/reassuring, let's go to the front line!

The old weaponless Interrex sprite has a more front-rear balanced look, the new one has a thiner front section. I can imagine the new Interrex with its guns will have kind of an arrow tip shape - an aggressive strike ship look. An interesting evolution. Also these two small rear turrets are very much welcome. And look at these engines!

Very small nitpick about the Legionary's rear "red lines": depending on the sprite zoom level, they might look a bit strange. Especially when you compare them to the "red lines" in other ships. Just a consequence of having a more complex shape? It's probably just my eyes that have been trained looking at the simpler shapes on the other ships.
[close]

Hazard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 24, 2019, 06:07:49 PM »

The new sprites seem to be quite a bit less "busy" than the old ones, and combined with the cooler color scheme they do look less flashy. That said, they seem to be very much in line with the newer vanilla sprites. Comparing ships like the Colossus or Legion with any of the old capitals produces basically the same effect, at least in my eyes; the newer ships may be less striking, but they do look more consistent, and that's what I'd guess Dark.Revenant is aiming at.

The new versions could maybe use some more of that red lining, but apart from that, they look really nice. It's been a long time since I last played with II, so I'm certainly looking forward to the update.  :)

lechibang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 24, 2019, 10:11:44 PM »

Sneak preview.

Hot damn again, these new sprites look sleek as heck right now.
Do it yourself, as people always say.

Inabikari

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 27, 2019, 05:02:19 AM »

Sneak preview.

Oof, these designs look very nice. Anything that makes the II ships look and feel more robust is a plus in my book.
But I have to ask; can you do something about the colour? I don't really like this new beige approach. It makes it feel very bland.
If you could combine this awesome new design with the old (improved with the red accents) colour scheme, I think it would be amazing.

Spoiler
(Where is my glorious yellow? You ruined everything!)
[close]

WastedAlmond

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 27, 2019, 08:43:55 AM »

It makes it feel very bland.
If you could combine this awesome new design with the old (improved with the red accents) colour scheme, I think it would be amazing.

If I remember correctly the de-saturated look was to emphasize the faded/fading glory of II, like they are just barely holding up the facade of immense power. With that in mind I think the de-saturated look is pretty thematic. DISCLAIMER: I could remember things completely wrong by the way, I've been lurking on and off for ages now and can't say for sure :P

Although yeah, a little extra saturation couldn't hurt for the colored bits, but going all the way back to the garish yellow wouldn't fit with the artstyle of starsector in my opinion.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 27, 2019, 01:38:42 PM »

i quite like the new colors, never was a big fan of the oversaturated yellow. i'm not generally much into beige, but this looks more bronze to me, which i think fits the Imperium quite well. and the small but high-contrast dark red stripes really make it more unique too.

and the underlying ships themselves are obviously way better quality in just about every way. ^^

two small criticisms i've got: the front half of the Legionary looks a bit too.. smooth, imo. for such a heavy destroyer, i feel overlapping armor plates like on the Invictus would fit it better. and i find the fighter bay lights on the Princeps look too much like neon lights mounted on the outside of the ship, rather than glows 'spilling out' from inside the bays.

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 28, 2019, 05:51:46 PM »

i quite like the new colors, never was a big fan of the oversaturated yellow. i'm not generally much into beige, but this looks more bronze to me, which i think fits the Imperium quite well. and the small but high-contrast dark red stripes really make it more unique too.

and the underlying ships themselves are obviously way better quality in just about every way. ^^

two small criticisms i've got: the front half of the Legionary looks a bit too.. smooth, imo. for such a heavy destroyer, i feel overlapping armor plates like on the Invictus would fit it better. and i find the fighter bay lights on the Princeps look too much like neon lights mounted on the outside of the ship, rather than glows 'spilling out' from inside the bays.

Yeah we noticed the decks too.

And we fixed them.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 05:53:27 PM by Gwyvern »

fatrat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 29, 2019, 12:33:58 AM »

I just hope the Olympus-class Launcher makes the cut.

DrakonST

• Captain
  • Lizard-Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 29, 2019, 09:34:25 AM »

I will give the vote for old sprites. I do not like a new II style.
I a Russian. And i communicate with the help of Promt Translate. And I am a color-blind person.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 29, 2019, 04:35:31 PM »

As a note: When I said I liked the old look, I was comparing the (in my opinion) best of the old versions (the falcon, hammerhead, and adamas; also the heavy pulse laser & telum autocannon) against the worst of the new versions (the revised caesar from the first post - which I've since been told will be getting retouched).  The ships that have been presented recently in this thread are, by contrast, vastly superior to the ones they're replacing.

Even if the flight decks on the new versions still don't click for me for some reason.  (Unfortunately, I can't really pinpoint -why- they don't look quite right to me.  Sorry.  Maybe if I'd taken a few more art classes back in college...  the recent improvements are definitely improvements, though!)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #477 on: February 06, 2019, 06:57:36 PM »

Meet the Carrum (left), Ardea, and Ixon.

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 06, 2019, 08:01:20 PM »

Man oh man is the new art-style cool. I'm a big fan of the launch bay on the Ardea

fatrat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 06, 2019, 11:31:32 PM »

Oh man, those sprites make my mouth water.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 67