Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 67

Author Topic: [0.97a] Interstellar Imperium 2.6.4  (Read 939727 times)

Bash

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8a] Interstellar Imperium 1.16.0
« Reply #390 on: May 18, 2017, 05:06:07 PM »

it crashes anyway

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 18, 2017, 05:35:02 PM »

Can unhelpfully report that I haven't had any issues with this II version so far. Running 64bit Win 10 JRE 1.8.0_77 (8 gigs allocated to SS, fairly regular 5+ hour sessions)
That's actually a -helpful- report (albeit slightly surprising with the combination of no issues and java 8).

By contrast, I've been running SS with its included 32-bit JRE and default one gigabyte of ram.

It's entirely plausible that people running into memory issues simply haven't increased that default allocation and that II just needs more room to work with.
(It's also, of course, entirely plausible that there is some sort of memory leak and it's just too slow to matter when you've got eight gigabytes of ram allocated to the game. I shall see what I can do to figure out which of these is the case.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 18, 2017, 06:23:59 PM »

Grinningsphinx: The hang I was referring to in my post is the same one you're experiencing. Try disabling better beginnings. I'm not sure why it conflicts with II and nothing else, but apparently it does.

It's probably because I'm screwing around with the rules file in the game. If II has some mechanics that use its own rules.csv file, then that might cause issues - chances are the same issues that mean so many mods with cool features can't be updated until 0.8.1. I'll take the blame for that, although BB is me experimenting with the rules files, so I can't troubleshoot very well yet.

Either way, @Grinningsphinx you're clean to remove Better Beginning after you've started a save. All it interacts with is the game creation process, and nothing beyond that, so you can safely remove it from an existing save.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #393 on: May 18, 2017, 06:53:08 PM »

I've encountered the slow-save issue (and later an outright save failure) while testing Nexerelin + a few utility mods (in a Normal-sized sector) with 0.8a while using default vmparams. Adding a few major mods to the game certainly seems to push things to the limits of a 1 GB memory allocation.

I think Starsector could stand to have a message "The last save took considerably longer than normal. Consider restarting and reloading the game to free up memory."

peperoni_playboy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 18, 2017, 08:18:35 PM »

if you're running into mod problems with more than a few mods installed, the first thing you should do is increase java's memory allocation (assuming you haven't already).

instructions here: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8726

like some others have said, I haven't ran into any problems with this version of II.

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 18, 2017, 08:25:53 PM »

I run SS on both a Windows 10 desktop and (occasionally when bored on the go) an OSX Sierra. Both run this mod with flying colors. Modified vparams, of course. 4.75 gigs on each.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #396 on: May 18, 2017, 08:59:41 PM »

I did my own testing with a dev version of DynaSector, which kicks up memory usage a fair bit and didn't see any leaks using a cursory check, a while back.  If it does leak, it's going to be hard to find.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 18, 2017, 10:20:22 PM »

Hmm...Phearlock running both mods...so now im stumped again.

I run 2048-4096

RandomnessInc

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 19, 2017, 11:08:35 PM »

For some reason, I cant find the military outpost for the Imperium, help?
May the fry be with you.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 20, 2017, 10:23:39 PM »

I just spent eight hours testing to see if I could find any evidence of a memory leak.  And the answer is no, there's no reason to believe Interstellar Imperium has a leak.  It -does-, however, expand during play, and a memory allocation that's enough to load and start playing with no problems may not be enough to -keep- playing with no problems.

My advice is to, if you're going to use II, give the game at least one GB more RAM than you think you need.  If it loads & starts to play fine with the default 1GB allocation, give it 2GB.  If you're running enough mods to need to give it 2GB just to get the game to run, make sure to give it 3GB instead.  And so on and so forth.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #400 on: May 20, 2017, 10:47:07 PM »

Thank you so much!

I did my own (shorter) test, and found more or less what Wyvern is saying.  Basically, there isn't a perfect mapping of save file size to memory upon unpack; some state is essentially "lost" because it's unimportant or otherwise ignored for the purposes of retention.  This is why restarting the game with the same save causes memory usage to drop...

As for why II is so hungry, well... The biggest line-items for memory usage are markets and fleets.  II has these in spades.  The next update should cut down on this, but at the end of the day, the Imperium is what it is - and probably shouldn't be played with the baseline 1GB memory settings.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 21, 2017, 08:28:24 AM »

The next update should cut down on this
The best kind of news. And thank you for giving up your time to create and maintain all this anyway.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
[0.8.1a] Interstellar Imperium 1.17.0
« Reply #402 on: June 04, 2017, 02:43:06 AM »

Hopefully, this is the last refinement pass before I start work on the Big Things that have been planned for the Imperium...

Note: DynaSector is necessary for debris/salvage adjustments to certain Imperium campaign features.  Without certain features added by DynaSector, significantly more gear is possible to salvage than is actually intended, which can negatively impact balance and your enjoyment of the game.  If you don't like certain changes introduced by DynaSector, (nearly) all of them can be turned off in DYNASECTOR_OPTIONS.ini.

Download Interstellar Imperium 1.17.0
Download Mirror
(Requires LazyLib 2.2)
(Requires GraphicsLib 1.2.0 (Updated!))

- Supported by DynaSector 1.2.0 (Strongly recommended!) -
- Supported by Nexerelin 0.8 (Not yet updated!) -

We also recommend Version Checker to notify you when an update is ready.

Having problems?  Visit the Mod Troubleshooting Guide!

Version 1.17.0:
- Updated to support Starsector 0.8.1a
- Removed Saltus Divinus, Duality Research Station, and Traian markets (but kept certain features at those locations)
- Adjusted economy, prevented edge cases that could break things
- Fixed rare TITAN/Apocalypse bug
- TITAN initial damage respects shield placement
- Jupiter now has Advanced Targeting Core instead of Targeting Supercomputer
- Significant rebalance of Siege effects
- D-modded Olympus is no longer usable
- Significant changes to Imperium debris/derelicts
- Made Ballistae slightly more sluggish
- A TITAN intercepted before it detonates has a chance to detonate early for reduced damage
- Increased Interstellar Bazaar tariffs
- Invictus supplies/rec increased to 5 from 4
- Matriarch now has 7 flight decks again
- Matriarch OP increased to 280 from 250
- Changed Matriarch ship system to Wing Command Center
- Increased Vicarius toughness
- Decreased Telum damage to 225 from 250
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 02:40:53 AM by Dark.Revenant »

Absolutecero

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Interstellar Imperium 1.17.0
« Reply #403 on: June 08, 2017, 08:37:29 AM »

Could you make it so the completed ibb missions sell the modded ship at the bazaar in Thracia because I have been haveing trouble getting them to drop in the later ones because the fleet size makes it so the modded ship drop lower.

ps this is an awesome mod keep up the good work.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
[0.8.1a] Interstellar Imperium 1.17.1
« Reply #404 on: June 10, 2017, 05:22:33 PM »

Hopefully, THIS is the last update before the Big Things...

Download Interstellar Imperium 1.17.1
Download Mirror
(Requires LazyLib 2.2)
(Requires GraphicsLib 1.2.1 (Updated!))

- Supported by DynaSector 1.2.0 (Strongly recommended!) -
- Supported by Nexerelin 0.8c (Updated!) -

We also recommend Version Checker to notify you when an update is ready.

Having problems?  Visit the Mod Troubleshooting Guide!

Version 1.17.1:
- Reduced Flamen OP to 0 from 4
- Adjusted Vicarius Corvette to Vicarius Assault Fighter, now wing of 2 at 20 OP
- Slightly buffed Draconarius Fighters
- Adjusted weapon tiers
- Adjusted weapon prices
- Some ship price adjustments
- Pulsar weapons no longer fire multiple projectiles at the same time, but are far more efficient than before
- Additional DynaSector support
- Improved a few odds and ends
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 67