Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 67

Author Topic: [0.97a] Interstellar Imperium 2.6.4  (Read 939811 times)

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Re: [0.65.1a] Interstellar Imperium v1.6
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2014, 04:50:30 AM »

While this assessment is factual, it is not exhaustive. Please check the file to see my point... and it's a similar story with tankers.

In other words, the issue is not with Logistical Conservation but the combination of that hull mod with the other logistics hull mods.

Whatever; I'll just make the hull mod give a 25% reduction to logistics down the line, rather than different amounts per ship size.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
[0.65.1a] Interstellar Imperium v1.6.1
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2015, 07:00:30 PM »

Small update to get a few things fixed and polished up.

Download Interstellar Imperium 1.6.1
Download Mirror
(Requires LazyLib 2.0b)
(Requires ShaderLib Beta v1.03) (Updated!)
(Supported by Starsector+ 2.4) (Updated!)

We also recommend Version Checker 1.3 to notify you when an update is ready.

Version 1.6.1:
- Crash involving TITAN and Apocalypse MIRV resolved
- Phase Jaunt AI improved
- Traian and Perinthus moved
- Jupiter and Dictator sprites updated

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.1a] Interstellar Imperium v1.6.1
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2015, 07:04:07 AM »

The Corsica Beta gate in hyperspace is a mirror of the gas giant it orbits instead of a generic empty "hole" like the other gates.
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2015, 01:01:23 PM »

The Corsica Beta gate in hyperspace is a mirror of the gas giant it orbits instead of a generic empty "hole" like the other gates.

All jump points mirror the stellar body they orbit; only the fringe gate is empty.  I'll set the related planet to Carthage, though, so it looks prettier.

Blaze

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2015, 04:40:34 AM »

Could you consider nerfing the light ballista rack? Perhaps changing it to a single missile instead of dual?

While pilums do have significantly higher ammo count and range, ballistas are much faster and far more easier to field. Everyone and their mother has small missile slots, while medium missiles slots are only held by a handful of ships; and even fewer have missile loaders to make pilums effective.

For example, a stock, no-skill Basileus can hold a MBallista and 4LBallistas and still fit either an ECCM or Expanded Missile Rack (Or both with 4 more OP points). That's a salvo of 12 missiles every 5 seconds. Granted, it only lasts for 4 salvos, but you can easily field dozens of the things across frigates.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2015, 04:59:50 AM »

Then you would still have 8 ballistae, the same as if you stuck two mediums on a decurion.  Assuming you get fifty basileus, that's 400 ballistae every five seconds, more than enough to kill anything. Fourty decurions is 320 missiles.  Eleven archers is 132 missiles, but you get FMR to make up for it.

The problem is in the concept of long-range missiles.  Get enough of them and you win.  End of story.

I can, and probably will, make it a single-fire missile.  After all, LRMs are getting regenerating ammo soon.  But that doesn't solve the underlying problem.  Removing the weapon entirely would not fix it either, since the problem exists with pilums as well.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 01:43:16 PM by Dark.Revenant »

Blaze

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2015, 05:28:03 AM »

The issue I find isn't with the total number of missiles, but the ease of getting a large amount of missiles in the air at one time to overwhelm PD and shields. A thousand missiles fired in groups of 10 is very different from 300 missiles fired in groups of 100. There's also Deployment cost to worry about...

Fleet specializing in missile barrages tend to be based on highly specialized ships; their only defense is their attack and they're dogmeat once that's gone, but while they can still attack it's devastating. LBallistas can be thrown on most ships as a incredibly potent secondary.

Well, they're going to be brought down a notch and that's all I really wanted. Thanks for listening.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 05:44:24 AM by Blaze »

Tommy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2015, 07:12:26 AM »

Just wanted to say that the idea of unlimited ammo missiles seems horrible. It makes no sense why we would want this in this game :)

Blaze

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2015, 04:51:49 AM »

Does anyone who uses this mod have a problem with the price of luxury goods? I think it might be due to Babylon producing 10k-20k per market cycle.

Even on Luddic Church worlds, prices of luxuries has dropped to single digit numbers; Local stockpiles exceeding demand by 500+%

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2015, 12:21:31 PM »

Just wanted to say that the idea of unlimited ammo missiles seems horrible. It makes no sense why we would want this in this game :)

Because ammo is a feature that doesn't come into play except to say that any ballistics-based ship is not allowed to go for the long haul and missile slots are rendered inert for the most part after fighting one or two ships, again, no good for the long haul.

Velox

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2015, 01:47:00 PM »

Because ammo is a feature that doesn't come into play except to say that any ballistics-based ship is not allowed to go for the long haul and missile slots are rendered inert for the most part after fighting one or two ships, again, no good for the long haul.

You're right, missiles are no good for the long haul now. 

It's almost as if you could focus on missiles for alpha strikes that do immense damage to the enemy as your ships close in... until the launchers run dry!
Or rely on very high-powered/long range shots and burst damage to do terrible damage sniping, or use accelerated ammo feeders and close range to rip things to pieces... until the magazines are empty!
Or build your ships to counter some enemy fire and shrug off the rest, while putting unavoidable, relentless damage that can burn through shields and armor alike on them for as long as it takes to turn them into floating globs of slag.

Like ... I don't know, there was some difference between weapon types, and they played differently.  A missile ship in it for the long haul is fighting the wrong fight.  A beam ship relying on annihilating half the enemy's key assets in the first shock of battle is in the wrong fight.  And a ballistics ship just blind-firing every weapon it has at every range at both shields and armor ... is fighting the wrong fight.

Tommy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2015, 02:07:52 PM »

I didn't want to hijack this thread. So I am sorry for starting and now continuing this discussion here.

I was just implying that unlimited ammo missiles are neither realistic nor appropriate for this jewel of a game.

Ballistics have limited ammo, missiles have limited ammo. That's how it should be. Makes strategy a lot tighter and making smart decisions a hell of a lot more important.

One could actually improve the AI when it comes to missiles usage, instead of just relying on unlimited numbers. There are many threads that suggest some form of individual AI for weapons or for a ship. "Use this missile slot only on capital grade ships, and only when it's shield are down". This kind of individual AI.

These are just my thoughts, don't kill them with fire :)

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2015, 02:52:01 PM »

I'm sorry for continuing the off topic discussion, but only Salamanders, Pilums, and Hurricanes are getting unlimited ammo (Pilums and Hurricanes regen).

Besides unlimited ammo won't make that much of a difference considering you still have stuff like flux capacity to limit fire. Besides ammo never was a problem really; by the time you ran out the battle was over.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2015, 03:11:31 PM »

Weapons that I intend to have limited ammo will still have limited ammo.  For instance, Pulsar Cannons and Photon Beam Cannons will continue to have ammo limitation.  However, Sledge Cannons, the Sagittarius, and the Hailfire will have unlimited ammo.  Ballistae will regenerate in a similar manner to Pilums.

Tommy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2015, 05:05:47 PM »

Besides ammo never was a problem really; by the time you ran out the battle was over.

Currently, out of the probably hundreds of different missile weapons in the game (throughout all the mods I use daily), only the long range missiles (and not all of them) don't really have an ammo issue. Every other missile weapons have to be used wisely and sparingly.

@Dark, good to know.

And with this, I put this subject to bed. Let's discuss the mod itself :p
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 67