Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 67

Author Topic: [0.97a] Interstellar Imperium 2.6.4  (Read 940180 times)

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Re: [0.9.1a] Interstellar Imperium 2.4.0
« Reply #795 on: April 24, 2021, 07:01:53 PM »

All I have to say is: I don't really care if you post it, but it definitely shouldn't be on this thread.

Chikanuk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 25, 2021, 04:41:47 AM »

Just my personal "imho": if its just 0.95 update - it will be cool if it posted here. I mean its not even really "mod the mod" (which is totally ok btw, but its another big topic) its just temporary solution for people who wanna play it right here and right now. And less people will ask "where 095 version?" so you can focus on full scale update.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #797 on: April 25, 2021, 02:16:05 PM »

Just my personal "imho": if its just 0.95 update - it will be cool if it posted here. I mean its not even really "mod the mod" (which is totally ok btw, but its another big topic) its just temporary solution for people who wanna play it right here and right now. And less people will ask "where 095 version?" so you can focus on full scale update.

No. A link posted here carries the implication of my endorsement and support, which I cannot give for a version that I did not create.  In the time that I could scour the unofficial update for bugs and correctness, I could just make my own.  More than that, people would be posting their own bug/balance reports here based on a version that does not resemble my own dev version.

bamzooki2

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 25, 2021, 11:31:48 PM »

No. A link posted here carries the implication of my endorsement and support, which I cannot give for a version that I did not create.  In the time that I could scour the unofficial update for bugs and correctness, I could just make my own.  More than that, people would be posting their own bug/balance reports here based on a version that does not resemble my own dev version.

Yeah, having done some battle brothers modding myself (adjustments to the legends mod), the biggest issue is that people use your experimental hacky fix and then bug the original mod maker about it.

At best i'd say keep adjustments to yourself and to DMs. That way you don't have random people stumbling on an "unofficial version".

Maybe if we had a policy where if you complain to DR about a non-official version of his mod you lose a kidney it could work. DR, would you like a kidney collection?

Kurtdovah

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: April 27, 2021, 01:11:28 AM »

I hope this mod will be update for the actual version of starsector :3

Shuka

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: April 27, 2021, 05:54:49 PM »

I hope this mod will be update for the actual version of starsector :3

It is always darkest before the dawn

Great mod DR, don't drop the update anytime soon I want to go outside this summer :)

captshetz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: May 13, 2021, 09:28:50 PM »

Great mod and looking forward to the update.  Ad astra per aspera!

Yarrick

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: June 06, 2021, 12:41:43 PM »

I come primarily from the Bethesda modding community, which also struggles with this a lot. "Mod mods" and unofficial patches get thrown around there a lot, so its important to understand what is permissable. 
Yeah, you know, the problem is Bethesda's modding community understands it's a modding community and not a gated commune of HOA chairmen striking down anything that doesn't conform to their ridiculous nonsense. I'm sure this post will get deleted because no one gives a *** about the state of the modding community anymore, and just wants to flex their big fish in a small pond syndrome. But there's a reason why the community is virtually dead even though this is the perfect game for a modding community to grow out of. It's because of this ridiculous *** "copyright" witchhunt on these forums and blatant psychosis thats lead to multiple motivated modders being chased out of the community. not to mention about half the mods still being incompatible with the new patch, because even the people who gatekeep this modding community can't be bothered to upkeep their closed commune that they chase people out of. People can virtue signal all they want, but the absolute state of these forums shows how much they strangled the life from the community.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 12:44:31 PM by Yarrick »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: June 06, 2021, 01:42:38 PM »

We have at least 50 active content/faction mods on a forum where the peak number of users online has only been ~3600. That seems like a really active modding community to me.

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: June 06, 2021, 02:31:37 PM »

But there's a reason why the community is virtually dead even though this is the perfect game for a modding community to grow out of.

Seems pretty active to me, especially on discord.
Obviously a lot of the modding discussion is just messing with values and kitbashes and whatnot. Not every beginner's effort is going to turn into some shiny, feature complete, fully compatible and bugtested faction mod but there's plenty of life in the community.

The only point I do agree with is that unofficial updates should have a place on the forum to easily access and discuss them. By all means, put a big abandon all hope ye who enter here disclaimer in the OP and deny all responsibility, but don't make me search the effing chans to find a version that works on 0.95a.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #805 on: June 06, 2021, 03:54:20 PM »

I don't give a rat's ass if you use or post an unofficial update on the forums.  I'm just not going to endorse or keep it on the official mod thread.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: June 06, 2021, 06:41:50 PM »

I come primarily from the Bethesda modding community, which also struggles with this a lot. "Mod mods" and unofficial patches get thrown around there a lot, so its important to understand what is permissable. 
Yeah, you know, the problem is Bethesda's modding community understands it's a modding community and not a gated commune of HOA chairmen striking down anything that doesn't conform to their ridiculous nonsense. I'm sure this post will get deleted because no one gives a *** about the state of the modding community anymore, and just wants to flex their big fish in a small pond syndrome. But there's a reason why the community is virtually dead even though this is the perfect game for a modding community to grow out of. It's because of this ridiculous *** "copyright" witchhunt on these forums and blatant psychosis thats lead to multiple motivated modders being chased out of the community. not to mention about half the mods still being incompatible with the new patch, because even the people who gatekeep this modding community can't be bothered to upkeep their closed commune that they chase people out of. People can virtue signal all they want, but the absolute state of these forums shows how much they strangled the life from the community.

@Yarrick please refer to forum rules here: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=2668.0

Insulting other forum users is not allowed, consider this an official warning.

connortron7

• Captain
  • "God has cursed me for my hubris" - brian gilbert
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: June 06, 2021, 08:52:02 PM »

I like how they say the modding community here is dead, ive been here for 7 years and the modding community has never been more alive and supportive of new modders.

Moomoomaster69

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: June 09, 2021, 09:54:28 AM »

Cool mod :D:D:D:D

Lolpingu

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: June 12, 2021, 09:27:48 AM »

Alright, I'll be serious. I'm sorry I was baiting you, Alex, a little that last post. I just want to say I love the mod a lot, and I even donated to my man Revenant because I love his work, and I just want people to be able to simultaneously enjoy 0.9.5 and his work, and I'm sorry for posting an unofficial port. I didn't know it was against the rules to post such a thing or even allude to having such a thing.

Are people not aware they can play the old SS versions until mods have been updated?

I mean, I have an entire folder of unofficial mod ports, so I could reply with, "Aren't you aware that you can play the latest version with all your mods RIGHT NOW without having to wait?" I guess I could wait, but why would I want to when I don't have to? I suppose not everyone has that choice, but I guess that's because of the rule against unofficial ports? I just thought it would be alleviating work required by the authors and just be the best of every world, but I guess not? I really don't know.

Since you seem pretty experienced with faction porting, perhaps you could make a post that provides some general guidelines for doing it? There are no rules against personally editing mods as long as you keep them to yourself and no one doing it is going to report bugs they caused with their own edits to the author.
I'm suggesting this out of the assumption that there are major common threads to faction porting, so if someone knows them, they can quickly handle those edits first and then move on to the specific port work of each mod.
Alternatively, if there are no common threads or if it's simpler that way, perhaps you could simply post individual instructions on how to port each mod. You don't need to provide any specific numbers, you could just point to things that need to be modified to fit the current version and leave the specifics to other people.
Just my two cents, since you're willing to help other people get outdated mods on the current version faster.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 09:29:52 AM by Lolpingu »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 67