Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 'Impossible' mission  (Read 17693 times)

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
'Impossible' mission
« on: May 04, 2011, 05:54:48 PM »

Who here has managed to at least beat the mission in-so-far as they accomplished the objectives?
And what was your final score?

I got a Pyrrhic Victory at 0% XD
Got busy with making my own missions and have not had a chance to go back and try getting a higher score.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: 'Impossible' mission
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 07:27:07 PM »

It's the one where you have to get 25% of your fleet away right?

I haven't played it yet, but I figure if you lure the enemy fleet away with a fast gunship you can spawn in ships further away from the battle line using the grouping system.
The main problem is how you're going to deal with the enemy fighters, bombers and inteceptors, I think. Your own fighters are no match for their in both number and firepower against most of their wings. The two ways I can come up with to beat them, is to concentrate your wings and try to maneuver theirs to come at you in small groups or in a steady stream instead of going out in an all out dog fight. Another method would be to keep your wings close to your carrier and hope you can keep them close and the enemy wings not so close to their own carrier and beat them that way.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 07:43:58 PM »

Considering how I can't even beat the 2 hard missions... Any attempt at the impossible mission is suicide at the moment.  :-\

Fishbreath

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 08:45:27 PM »

The mission where you have to sink the Bis'mar wasn't so hard, I didn't think--anti-matter blasters and torpedoes really are an absurd amount of firepower on a ship that maneuverable, and the mission comes down to piloting instead of any grand strategic planning.

SeaBee

• Commander
  • The stars are ... alive and breathing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 08:47:13 PM »

Considering how I can't even beat the 2 hard missions... Any attempt at the impossible mission is suicide at the moment.  :-\
They're all tougher missions than I expected. Funny thing is I had a real easy time on one of the hard missions (sinking the Bis'mar), but couldn't beat the medium one for days. They're like puzzles, really, figuring out how best to use your ship and how best to use all the other ships ... and lots of pausing. I pause a ton, look at the warroom map, see what needs done, try to pull it off.

My goal is to get at least 50% on the impossible mission ... could be awhile, haha!

Qloos

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 08:50:12 PM »

Kobayashi Maru, you say?
I think I have a way to beat that.

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 09:08:57 PM »

They're like puzzles, really, figuring out how best to use your ship and how best to use all the other ships

Which I like, because it should require skill to come out victorious when out-gunned... assuming of course that the player is out gunned on the hard and medium levels (and obviously impossible levels too).

Fishbreath

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 09:27:46 PM »

Graaah. So disappointed in myself. I was mere moments away from winning The Last Hurrah--I had a fire support cruiser left against the two battleships, and I could just back away from them and kill them. Unfortunately, I let the last one get unfluxed for just a moment, forgot to shoot at it to slow it down, and got myself killed.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 10:31:51 PM »

It does definitly come down to skill, both flying & strategizing. I have a medium difficulty mission which involves 1 on 1 Onslaught battle, evenly matched. Its possible to win taking less than 50 armor damage (because of all the asteroids, my lowest damage number was 23) using smart tactics and good timing to out maneuver the enemy Onslaught and get all of your missiles into its rear (as Onslaughts have only half-coverage shields, and their PD only covers the front 270 degrees, leaving the engines totally vulnerable.

I have a hard difficulty mission which conversely is very much strategy oriented. But once again, with some good planning you can come out victorious. I've found I can only get 86% (and that was once only), compared to 87% and 100% for the two stock hard missions.

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 09:35:48 AM »

How did you guys manage to take down the Bis'mar? I cannot avoid / outrun all the machine guns and cannons on that beast. As soon as I try to get in range to fire my weapons, waves of bullets and shells are flying at me.

Fishbreath

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 09:43:13 AM »

Get around behind it--you're far more maneuverable--and strafe at the edge of your range. If you can nail it with both torpedoes, it won't take more than two or three passes with the AM blasters to take it down.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 09:43:30 AM »

Onslaughts are only dangerous from the front. Given their utterly abysmal turn rate, you should have little trouble getting around to the back and strafing it with your torpedos and antimatter cannons. Watch out though, as the antimatter cannons create enough flux on their own that only a few hits can overload you, which is bad if there are Pilum LRM's chasing you.

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 10:34:49 AM »

Onslaughts are only dangerous from the front. Given their utterly abysmal turn rate, you should have little trouble getting around to the back and strafing it with your torpedos and antimatter cannons. Watch out though, as the antimatter cannons create enough flux on their own that only a few hits can overload you, which is bad if there are Pilum LRM's chasing you.

See, that's what I tried initially. It seemed like the most logical course of action to try and get behind the ship and then open fire but I still managed to die nicely. I'll try again later today.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 12:43:50 PM »

If you get overloaded and can't dodge the LRM's, you're toast. Thats one of the biggest dangers, because of the flux output the antimatter cannons generate.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 02:38:50 PM »

See, that's what I tried initially. It seemed like the most logical course of action to try and get behind the ship and then open fire but I still managed to die nicely. I'll try again later today.

Don't give up, the Onslaught is blind to the rear it's just that the area where you can dodge all fire lanes is quite shallow.You have to come directly from the rear, otherwise the side turrets can get you. It also helps to have your wings and the other fast frigates distracting it a bit.
The heavy freighter in the mission has enough armor and shields to wear down the Onslaught's flux tolerance as well.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"
Pages: [1] 2