Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spoiled goods/backstabs  (Read 1657 times)

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Spoiled goods/backstabs
« on: May 13, 2014, 12:24:20 PM »

So I was thinking about the upcoming trading system and the way it will drastically change the game, but then I got a little worried when I compared it to the combat system.
 See, the combat is fun and tactical with some deep mechanics, it is currently a big, well singular, part of the game, but when the trading system hits it should be a thing of its own, something as deep and interesting as the combat, something you could play for hours without thinking "meh, time to blow up some stuff".
 Now I know about the whole event-driven profit race and data gathering, but I wonder:
 -What if you take virus infested computer components to a planet recovering from a crippling EMP blast? You wouldn't just prolong the crisis like you would by attacking other trade fleets heading for the same planet, you would make it worse, it would give you more control over the events.
  Imagine doing this to TryTach, surely it would score some points with the Hegemony.
 -An industrialized planet needs food? Put a plague in it and then extort them to build ships for you if they want to get the cure.
 -Farmers need fertilizers? Give them deadly chemicals with delayed effects, watch them starve and then take their tools and start your own farm someplace else.
  Or produce cheap fakes of whatever a planet needs.
  Surely by the time they realize you will have taken the credits and legged it.
  And all that in the name of coming on top, of making as much a profit as you can, whether in money or other goods, the potential of being a douche is off the charts, and, seeing as the game will be a choice between:
 Do I cripple the Sector and create a better world for my self? Or do I try and slow down entropy as much as possible? I thing this would be a good way to spice trading up.
 Sabotage, blackmail, devaluation, pollution, genocide, all that good good stuff a ruthless pirate/ heartless opportunist likes.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 12:26:09 PM by Sabaton »

dmaiski

• Captain
  • resistance is futile
    • View Profile
Re: Spoiled goods/backstabs
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 01:09:51 PM »

personaly i think this is overcomplicated, and not really realistic. "FUN!" in a trading/economy sim is verry difrent from you avarage shoot em up or even most strategy games lack it entirely (excluding the original TA series, the spring BA, ZK, NOTA, and DF, Aurora)

FUN! is an eco/trading game comes mainly from "economic gain" not sabotage/espionage/warfare. it is far more fun to crush your enemies with a well planned trade embargo/piracy/buyout then it is to poison them, because poison is verry abstract, and limiting their access to goods through economic and subterfuge means is much more enjoyable and robust.

if you want to see a "serious" space economy game, look at the distant worlds series. Being able to set something like that up in starsector would be great
-vastly complex AI managed trade and construction economy
--mostly automated, and pretty "self sufficient"
---frees up the player to do what they want (or micro EVRYTHING)

another game to try would be starship tychoon, probably one of the best space trade/shipping games ever made
-"trade" is performed entirely through contracts,
--you cant "buy" goods, you simply bid on the contract to transport them from one place to another
--progression is done through aquisition of new ships and techs/crew(officers?) to make your fleet better

a third game is Factorio, a factory running game
-the player sets up production lines
--evrything can be made to autonamusly meet supply and demand as needed
--massive amounts of somponents and precursors for the player to make

and finaly there is a fourth: patrician trading/economy game series
-the AI trading capacity in that game is limmited and asymetric
--not all demand is met by the AI
-the player can thus "cotroll" the games economy simply through economic might
--being the sole producer of slat, or tar, or cloth, can be VERRY lucrative if you can restrict its production elswhere
---you can "influence" the world simply by excluding or including cities in your trade routes

also in patritian
-evry building can be bought and built
--city builder rent/income from properties you own
--great fun for those who want to own the world

this image aptly summs up what will get a econ, trading, city/country building, production loving players blood pumping
Spoiler
[close]
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
to econ players that map means alot, its beutifull, its LOVE!
to non-econ players, its like the screen has suddenly been filled with white noise
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 01:24:48 PM by dmaiski »
BISO
(WIP) lots of shiny new weapons ( :-[ i have more weapons then sprites :-[ )

i got a cat pad
its like a mouse pad but better!

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 11:58:37 AM »

Touché...

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 02:38:57 PM »

I think this is a good idea, but maybe it's best suited as a specialty of some events, not as a system that works for every event.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 03:11:49 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.