Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Drop less supplies and more credits.  (Read 1441 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Drop less supplies and more credits.
« on: May 12, 2014, 01:39:47 PM »

Rather than drop so many supplies that only an Atlas fleet can loot all... once, drop less supplies, enough to recover CR, and instead, drop much more credits, so that the player can buy whatever supplies he needs from stations.

Think of it as the "no selling" option from Angband, which drops much more gold as compensation for no money back on sales - no need to recall after finding a couple ego items every time after early-game just to stockpile cash in case of excellent Black Market finds.

JDCollie

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Drop less supplies and more credits.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 01:49:55 PM »

Rather than drop so many supplies that only an Atlas fleet can loot all... once, drop less supplies, enough to recover CR, and instead, drop much more credits, so that the player can buy whatever supplies he needs from stations.

Think of it as the "no selling" option from Angband, which drops much more gold as compensation for no money back on sales - no need to recall after finding a couple ego items every time after early-game just to stockpile cash in case of excellent Black Market finds.
It's a tough balance to strike. On the one hand, getting credits is really nice is you are pounding fleets apart fairly close to home, but on the other, no quantity of credits will feed your crew or repair your ships in hostile territory.

Also, I think fleets drop some of what they were carrying (I could be very very wrong about that), so if they were carrying lots of supplies. . .

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 01:57:53 PM »

...but on the other, no quantity of credits will feed your crew or repair your ships in hostile territory.
In that case, player can bring a freighter or hybrid (pack mule) and some supplies.  Not unlike bringing a tanker and extra fuel if you want to visit a far off system in Exerelin or other mod.

Currently, player never needs to buy supplies.  Not only can the player's fleet live off of the supplies dropped by the enemy, but also sell the excess to make a profit.  The suggestion is to eliminate the latter by dropping credits instead.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 05:59:19 PM »

I had always figured the amount of supplies that we are getting as drops right now was significantly higher than what we could expect in the full game, and it seems like we get a lot of credits as well.