Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27

Author Topic: [0.7.2a] ShaderLib Beta 1.2.1b (Legacy)  (Read 239102 times)

NightfallGemini

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.1a] ShaderLib Beta 1.1.1
« Reply #345 on: December 07, 2015, 02:10:05 AM »

I have no idea why this is happening, but the game dumps framerate when certain effects (for example, the Templar Rhon Laser) occur even off screen. My hardware is far beyond spec (FX8350, 2 way SLI GTX760OC) so I have no clue what's causing this. I remember it went away on its own a while back, but it's now consistently around every time. It only happens in campaign mode, both on the 'overworld' and battles.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #346 on: December 07, 2015, 02:18:34 AM »

The two things that come to mind are vsync and drivers.  I've tried it with a GTX 670 and GTX 980Ti without issue, and other people I know have used cards in the 7xx range, so a GTX 760 doesn't have inherent problems.  On the GTX 980Ti, my GPU usage is approximately 17% while the Templar anamorphic shader (Rhon, etc.) is active, and 10% without (looking at just a single ship with nothing else going on).  It's not exactly a trivial thing to run, but unless your GPU usage is very high to begin with, it shouldn't matter.

What frame rate do you have before and during the shader?  What about GPU usage?  Does turning off the game's vsync (data/config/settings.json) affect it?  Does turning off SLI affect it?

NightfallGemini

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 07, 2015, 02:49:40 AM »

While using Shaderlib, vsync off, on the map screen I seem to be averaging 44FPS, GPU utilization at 63% on card one, 3% on card two (I'm assuming this means it's not fully utilizing SLI :V).

The combat issue comes and goes, and I don't see an FPS counter on the combat screen. With vsync off it seems to be smooth but has slight tears/jerkiness from time to time (come to think of it, I'm going to guess the tearing is due to SLI. It's happened in more intensive stuff like Fallout 4 before too). It was having that lag when vsync was on though.

Also, I haven't noticed any significant difference with SLI on or off.

E: Oh, also, I wasn't able to catch it last combat, but on the title screen I have the same average utilization. I'm assuming that's an okay metric considering it's one big combat map, but I can check in an actual fight too if you like.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 02:53:59 AM by NightfallGemini »

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #348 on: December 07, 2015, 02:57:18 AM »

While using Shaderlib, vsync off, on the map screen I seem to be averaging 44FPS, GPU utilization at 63% on card one, 3% on card two (I'm assuming this means it's not fully utilizing SLI :V).

The combat issue comes and goes, and I don't see an FPS counter on the combat screen. With vsync off it seems to be smooth but has slight tears/jerkiness from time to time. It was having that lag when vsync was on though.

Also, I haven't noticed any significant difference with SLI on or off.

Starsector can't and won't use SLI.

Combat FPS are in dark grey on the bottom-center of the combat screen.  Slight tears/jerkiness is expected performance in Starsector, currently, if you're above 50% machine utilization.

The way vsync works is that it bins the game to certain frame rates, depending on your monitor's refresh rate.  For a 60 Hz monitor, these are 60, 30, 20, 15, 12, 10, etc.  These integral ratios allow it to match exactly your refresh period, or a multiple of it.  If the driver notices that the frame took too long, it will cause the next frame to wait long enough to reach the 1/30-second refresh period, etc.  As a result, once you start to reach your card's maximum output, it will suddenly drop your frame rate to 30 to ensure that you don't get tearing and that you're synced to twice your monitor's refresh period.  The downside of this is that you can end up having a huge performance hit; you might have been able to otherwise pull 55 FPS, but vsync would still drop you to 30 FPS.

Turning vsync off has its pros and cons.  You can also adjust shader settings accordingly, either globally (shaderSettings.json) or in the particular mod's settings that apply.

NightfallGemini

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 07, 2015, 03:18:06 AM »

I'm not really sure how, but turning vsync off, running the game for a bit and then reopening it with vsync on seemed to have fixed the issue for now. If I remember, I had to do something similar before, too but it'd always come back after a while.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #350 on: December 08, 2015, 05:56:45 PM »

That's certainly odd, because ShaderLib basically didn't change between updates.  Only things I can think of are that Starsector's code changed in some significant manner, Java 8 caused problems, or Alex replaced LWJGL with a less-optimized version for some reason.

Try using the 0.65.2a version of shaderlib with 0.7.1a and see if that improves performance.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #351 on: December 08, 2015, 06:52:49 PM »

I'd bet anything that simply using the Java 8 standard for the current build is at fault.  Would you be willing to run a few test builds?

Bobakanoosh

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 08, 2015, 11:01:10 PM »

I seem to be having similar issues to the above posters as well. Running the game+lazylib+shaderlib has my main menu running at 7 FPS with 103% idle. My laptop is running windows 8.1 and has an i7-4720HQ CPU, 16 GB RAM, and a GTX 970M. I've edited vmparams with xms4096m/xmx4096m, as well as taken the steps of replacing Starsector's jre folder. In addition, sometimes when I run the game (i've only gotten as far as the menu), the graphics suddenly becomes extremely over-saturated.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
[0.7.1a] ShaderLib Beta 1.1.2
« Reply #353 on: December 08, 2015, 11:26:16 PM »

So.  Uh.  I found out what the problem was.

Turns out, I left my personal settings in the 1.1.1 upload.  The ones I use on a GTX 980 Ti.  Yeah.

The good news is, I found a thing that was causing a significant performance bottleneck.  Total ShaderLib CPU overhead (performance loss from vanilla Starsector) in heavy battles reduced from 30% to 12%, which is about a 2.5x performance improvement, at least for the lighting engine.  I also added an option that should further improve performance on low-end graphics cards.

We also recommend Version Checker to notify you when an update is ready.

Warning: Make sure Starsector is GPU-Accelerated!
ShaderLib will glitch out on older integrated chips!

If your computer can't run ShaderLib, disable it through shaderSettings.json in the ShaderLib folder, but keep the mod enabled.

Beta 1.1.2
- Significantly reduced ShaderLib CPU usage
- Added "extraScreenClear" option to shaderSettings.json (set to false to reduce fill rate)

AeusDeif

• Ensign
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.1a] ShaderLib Beta 1.1.2 (Performance Fix!)
« Reply #354 on: December 09, 2015, 03:20:33 AM »

'ShaderLib Beta 1.1.2 is malicious, and Chrome has blocked it.'

the mirror worked though.

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 09, 2015, 03:26:04 AM »

Firefox on the other hand does not seem to mind.

sycspysycspy

• Commander
  • Translator of the Council of AL
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 09, 2015, 04:21:30 AM »

'ShaderLib Beta 1.1.2 is malicious, and Chrome has blocked it.'

the mirror worked though.
Same here
Please report any translation error to me with PM.
- I just went over to my bank account and figured out I can live comfortably without working for the rest of my life as long as I die on next Tuesday.

AeusDeif

• Ensign
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 09, 2015, 06:08:31 AM »

I guess firefox just isn't advanced enough to protect us from these fiendish hackers pretending to be starsector modders (sarcasm)

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #358 on: December 09, 2015, 02:48:17 PM »

You are not missing much at the moment.

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 11, 2015, 11:16:44 AM »

For what it's worth, having PP on destroys my framerate to slideshow levels too, but since I'm using a 9300M GS I never exactly expect high performance.
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27