Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27

Author Topic: [0.7.2a] ShaderLib Beta 1.2.1b (Legacy)  (Read 238445 times)

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Re: [Graphics] ShaderLib Graphics Enhancement Mod (Alpha v1.52)
« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2014, 06:49:29 PM »

Sigh, one of the reasons I wish there was a proper texture loader.  Small update:

ShaderLib Alpha v1.52

Full Edition
Includes vanilla normal maps and high-resolution ripple distortion

Basic Edition
Vanilla normal maps not included, low-memory ripple distortion, and performance-optimized default settings

Alpha v1.52 (June 16, 2014)
- Added "weaponFlashHeight" and "weaponLightHeight" options to settings.json
- Fixed ShaderLib Basic again

Arakash

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 19, 2014, 10:58:02 AM »

I was just directed to post in this thread from the Vacuum mod thread by a user called xenoargh

He wanted me to mention a graphics card i was using when i was having a technical issue with the mod that turned out to be shader related. It was causing very very low FPS.
In the case of that problem, it was fixed by turning the shaders off in the mod settings.

The card i was (and am) using a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260, which is 4-5 years old atm according to the website.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #152 on: June 19, 2014, 06:08:32 PM »

Your card is more than enough.  First of all, I'd like you to revert settings.json (the one that ShaderLib uses) to the default and post the contents of that here.  After doing that, try setting "use64BitBuffer" to false if it is true by default (which it shouldn't be, since I set that to default off weeks ago) and see if that improves your performance.

Are you using SLI when playing Starsector?  If so, does disabling SLI improve your performance?

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 19, 2014, 06:37:05 PM »

I'm shipping it with the stock ShaderLib config, btw, other than not having any normal / material maps defined, since I'm not using that.  I'm not bothering to try optimizing it any yet for the specifics of Vacuum's speed requirements, as it's barely using more CPU than Combat Radar is, c. 6-7% during max. loads.  So whatever the settings were in 1.51 is what was there.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #154 on: June 19, 2014, 06:59:21 PM »

I see, that's good to know.

Arakash, what CPU are you using?

In the Vacuum thread, you claimed that the framerate is fine while the game is paused.  Shaders, however, are still active while paused (or in the tactical map).  The only difference is a CPU usage spike between paused and not-paused.  I believe that the full difference is about a 5-10% increase in CPU usage in an unpaused game by having ShaderLib on, depending on situations.  It could be possible that Vacuum is doing things with lights that are more CPU-intensive than intended.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 19, 2014, 11:19:35 PM »

I doubt it, but you're perfectly welcome to profile it by simply installing the mod and running the only Mission available, which is a giant fleet-on-fleet battle where you'll see maximum loads :)

The worst abuse of lights is the lights on the various thrusters, particularly fighters' engines; but here, at least, it's a negligible increase in load, when profiled; removing it speeds things up by less than 1% in max-load situations.  I deliberately don't use a lot of lights on shots, shot-hit and firing light TTLs are very short, and beam lights are all capped at a TTL of 0.1 seconds to keep loads reasonable while fading somewhat gracefully, and generally, only large beams get beam lights, since that's a known concern.

So I doubt if that's it, tbh; the caps on total lights and the requirements to replace lights in terms of priority should be sufficient.  I intend to replace the flare-lights on the fighters with perma-lights that are attached to the entities eventually, rather than new lighting events, and then manage them, but based on what you've said about the system, it's unclear to me how much, if any, CPU savings would be realized, so it's been a fairly low priority until I'm done with the next big build and have cleared my plate to play much more seriously with all things shader-related :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Arakash

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 20, 2014, 02:02:33 AM »

Sorry i didnt get back to you more quickly.
Ill try and answer all the questions asked that weren't already addressed by xenoargh.

My CPU is an i7 ~2.8ghz with 8 cores.

Ill try to be specific when i describe the issue, so its clear.
Its caused when i view any bullets of all types, enemy or my own, including missiles beams etc on the normal viewing screen.
I can view the game running with weapons fire in the tactical map, but as soon as i switch back to viewing/controlling directly and weapons fire is on screen, same problem.
It only took 1 bullet/missile/laser on screen to make it about 1-5fps at which point i basically have to end the process manually because i couldn't exit. (5fps is probably generous, i think its closer to 0.25-1fps, basically a slideshow)

I am in fact using SLI.
I tried disabling it, no change as far as i can tell.

I can confirm use64bitbuffer is false in my settings.

Edit:
A couple ways of fixing it i have found so far in the settings.json file.
Turning sharers off completely OR

Setting enableBloom to false. OR
(changing bloomquality and bloommips alone according to instructions in the file doesnt improve the situation)

Setting enableLights to false.
(halving the number of maximumLights worked when i was firing a pulse weapon until a beam was fired, then slideshow again)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 02:55:24 AM by Arakash »

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #157 on: June 20, 2014, 02:37:35 AM »

It could be an issue of having too much video memory allocated for your 1GB to handle (you don't add two cards' memory space together when they're in SLI).  Bloom uses somewhere around 150MB of video memory in total, iirc.  If Vacuum is using a large amount of memory for textures, this could be causing your problem.

Open up starsector.log and find the most recent line that looks something like:
121380 [Thread-5] DEBUG com.fs.graphics.TextureLoader  - Loaded 566.77 MB of texture data so far
(This is with all the SS+ factions, using dev versions that include extra materials/normals.)

Depending on how large this value is, it could simply mean that too many textures are loaded by the game.

Arakash

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 20, 2014, 02:51:04 AM »

It could be an issue of having too much video memory allocated for your 1GB to handle (you don't add two cards' memory space together when they're in SLI).  Bloom uses somewhere around 150MB of video memory in total, iirc.  If Vacuum is using a large amount of memory for textures, this could be causing your problem.

Open up starsector.log and find the most recent line that looks something like:
121380 [Thread-5] DEBUG com.fs.graphics.TextureLoader  - Loaded 566.77 MB of texture data so far
(This is with all the SS+ factions, using dev versions that include extra materials/normals.)

Depending on how large this value is, it could simply mean that too many textures are loaded by the game.

I had a look, but ill be honest i really dont understand what im looking at. For example i thought the number on the left would be a chronological number, but some of them seem out of order.
The largest numbers i could find in the format you quoted were around 300-400mb.

Ive attached 115kb of the last of the log in a text file to this post, just so you can check i am reading it correctly.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 02:53:12 AM by Arakash »

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #159 on: June 20, 2014, 03:13:39 AM »

That is extremely bizarre, and if left unfixed I may have to call it quits on the project.  Your hardware is essentially the performance target; I have designed it to run at its fullest on an i5 CPU with a GTX 260 /w 1GB.

Do you get the same issue in other mods?  Try ShaderLib 1.52 alone with vanilla Starsector and see if the poor performance continues.

Arakash

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 20, 2014, 03:36:06 AM »

That is extremely bizarre, and if left unfixed I may have to call it quits on the project.  Your hardware is essentially the performance target; I have designed it to run at its fullest on an i5 CPU with a GTX 260 /w 1GB.

Do you get the same issue in other mods?  Try ShaderLib 1.52 alone with vanilla Starsector and see if the poor performance continues.
I just tried a mission with Vanilla and ShaderLib 1.52.
I didn't see the same problem i was reporting or any drop in fps as far as i could tell.

Edit: I also just tested Uomoz's Sector with ShaderLib, no issues there either.

Vacuum specific problem i guess?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 03:45:47 AM by Arakash »

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #161 on: June 20, 2014, 03:44:07 AM »

Yes, it seems that way.  I know that xeno made some changes to the shader code in his mod, so it is most likely something that he has done at some juncture.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 20, 2014, 03:03:31 PM »

No, I haven't changed anything at all.  We're talking about a stock 1.51 here.  If 1.52 resolved it, then most likely it was the same issue reported for 1.51 and it'll be resolved when I update the build, hopefully this evening :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

NCMagic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 23, 2014, 03:05:36 AM »

After seeing a fancy way of showing errors and stuff, I'm not sure if the way I'm using is correct.
Oh well.
31329 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.O0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  - java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.ArithmeticException: / by zero
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.ArithmeticException: / by zero
   at sound.Sound.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.OooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.oOOO.A.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.O0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ArithmeticException: / by zero
   at sound.super.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at sound.B.super(Unknown Source)
   ... 6 more

Apparently it divided by zero, I'm not sure how, but this happened when I was trying to run starsector+ with lazylib and shaderlib.
Edit: I need to add that I changed vmparams to 1024 1024 and this happened. This happened before when I turned bloom off with 512 1024 .
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 03:07:25 AM by NCMagic »
Annoying modders with problems that generally help and happen due to *** computers!
(Since some time ago.)

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #164 on: June 23, 2014, 08:04:39 AM »

After seeing a fancy way of showing errors and stuff, I'm not sure if the way I'm using is correct.
Oh well.
31329 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.O0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  - java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.ArithmeticException: / by zero
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.ArithmeticException: / by zero
   at sound.Sound.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.OooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.oOOO.A.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.O0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ArithmeticException: / by zero
   at sound.super.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at sound.B.super(Unknown Source)
   ... 6 more

Apparently it divided by zero, I'm not sure how, but this happened when I was trying to run starsector+ with lazylib and shaderlib.
Edit: I need to add that I changed vmparams to 1024 1024 and this happened. This happened before when I turned bloom off with 512 1024 .

It is essentially impossible for me to find where this error could possibly be coming from unless you give me more information.  When did this error happen?  What are your system specs?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27