Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sarducar Dun's modding attempts  (Read 8099 times)

sarducardun

• Commander
  • Welcome the angel of death
    • View Profile
Sarducar Dun's modding attempts
« on: February 12, 2014, 04:02:40 AM »

Kahn Tech redeux.
I will be using white-armoured, smooth lined ships with green glowy power conduits and engine orbs. Engines will be internalised for protection and uniqueness. Weapons will mainly consist of different coloured orbs with energy directing fins.
Issues:
I am so new to this stuff.
Engines will need entirely new animations for increasing glow when doing work and removing glow (possibly darkening orb) when offline.
Could end up like a half snowed in christmas tree with glowy baubles and a network of green.

Proof of concept/initial concept light assault drone.
Spoiler
[close]
Imgur uploading at lower quality? the sprite is symmetrical for one thing.

Original OP
Spoiler
So basically i have been floating around these forums since version 0.5 or something and i want to mod this lovely game.

My total experience with code/java consists of changing the vmparams file and the thing doesn't work on my system if I put it above 512 so that's useless anyways.

My artistic skills are atrocious, I reckon i could make some original sprites but they would be very simplistic as it stands. And i have Little experience in any form of art on a computer.

I need to get this all written down so I actually do something about it.

First spriting attempts:
Spoiler

SARC ship with KAHN colour scheme but a good first attempt. (IMO)
[close]
Spoiler

Potential SARC interceptor. The black barrels are not good in space. The serrations under the wings I don't like. The blue power conduits are almost there, I think. Any Ideas for a second detail colour for SARC?
[close]
Spoiler
Hevay fighter, not quite big enough for the mounts. But what doyou guys think of the scaffolding and power conduits?
[close]
Spoiler
And this: Happens when I revomove background before I upload. Any Ideas?
[close]
Spoiler

Kahn PD fighter
[close]

Sarducar Corporation: (working name, there is already one called Sardukar after all) Starting first spriting attempts on this.
Spoiler
A shieldless faction with ~ 50% emp resistance and hopefully a full resistance to emp arcing, and balanced resistances to kinetic and HE to make it all equivalent to energy damage.
Ship designs will be solid geometric shapes with 'scaffolding/girders' connecting them, say a 'V' shpe with a rectangle suspended from girders in the middle to be a cockpit or upside-down as engines. Engines will be very exposed but they and the weapon mounts will be 50%? more durable and recover 50%? faster.
speed, accel and turning very slightly below average. High flux capacity and powerful long-range burst damage weapons mean that although kiting is inefective due to their speed the enemy might not get cluse enough for that to be an issue. For a type of pd I am thinking PD_only,anti_ftr, 60 SPM, high muzzle velocity with enough damage to snigle shot harpoons/salamanders. effective on small ships al multiple would end up wasting shots on the same target.

repping hull/ armour as a hull mod?
[close]

The Anthrian Empire:
Spoiler
A high tech faction with a focus on beams. organic/flowy shapes (see SHI) but with unique engines and a dislike for capacitor storage of charges, continuous dps is preferred.
Engines will be horseshoe shaped with jets pointing inwards, combining and coming out of the gap like a beam, these will be hard to destroy because of their  covered position.
They like Kinetic energy beams and single shot HE cannons for when the shields go down (eventually).
[close]

Kahn Technologies: The likely impossible to code one. And the one I will be working on most right now. I know how I am going to greeble them and having seen what some of the mods can do I think this is the way to go.
Spoiler
They have tech that allows them to remotely exert force on an object without recoil.
Dark grey and red colour scheme with black dots speckled strategically around the hull. Hull shapes will be curvy but rugged looking (I know what I mean). The black dots are used instead of shields to deflect/eliminate incoming damage. I want the to be beams that impact on anything, including other beams and exert a force on them, changing their velocity,stopping incoming projectiles and the (maybe) throwing them back. These need to be built in weapon mounts unaffected by hull mods, with instant turning, beam projection and stylish looks.
Any help for coding ^^^ or telling me it is impossible now instead of later would be very much appreciated.
[close]

I am going to try to keep this up to date with my ideas, lest I forget them and I hope I can make a mod on par with Vanilla/BRDY/neutrino ect.
[close]
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 04:50:29 AM by sarducardun »

sarducardun

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Sarducar Dun's modding attempts
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 04:02:54 AM »

Reserved

Xalendi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 04:38:03 AM »

That third faction sounds like the Yuuzhan Vong...

Sort of.

sarducardun

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 04:50:24 AM »

Well... yea, but no.
If mine end up that cool I will be very satisfied, but bio ships? no.

sarducardun

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 11:28:28 AM »

I have made a few attempts (see: failures) in using GIMP 2 to do very basic sprites. I have downloaded a few good images from spriters judgment thread to see detailing ect and as soon as I zoom in everything blurs out. I keep creating a ~60 pixels long and re-sizing (shrinking, trying to change ppi to no effect) to be met with failures and confusion. Basically I have no idea what I am doing or even where to start.

Edit: Xenoargh's speed painting saved me. I copied one of the images re-sized it myself to the 200 and face-palmed when I changed the ppi and scale to inches, seeing that it was having an effect but as i was looking at the pixels who cares about inches?

Note to self: work big and scale down it will work if you're not an idiot.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 11:39:39 AM by sarducardun »

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 11:39:18 AM »

There are multiple tutorials in the Modding Resources section; if you're just starting out, then I'd really suggest reading them through to get an idea of what goes into making original artwork for this kind of thing :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 11:41:28 AM »

Sprites don't like being resized (or rotated). Work at the original size and you shouldn't have that ugly blur effect. Also don't try big ships yet, the bigger it get, the harder it become to make it coherent.

How about you post those sprites for us to see what's wrong?

sarducardun

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 11:55:43 AM »

The 'sprites' consisted of 2-3 colours in simple geometric patterns to get me used to the tool. I had an issue with resizing and wondering how so much detail is gained from so few pixels. looking at a few ships I can see they are not that detailed, but zoom out enough and you can't tell. This is going to be harder to get the hang of than I though it would but I now have something to work with. I think I am going to sit here and make a fighter with the longbow and maybe thunder open as well so I can see what I'm doing relative to a decent sprite.

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 12:46:04 PM »

I am using gimp as well and I started by taking vanilla or mod ships (or both) and simply cut them apart with the selection tool and then making a large transparent picture with all those parts inside.
Now you open a new file with a transparent background and simply put the parts together to make a new ship.
That's called kitbashing.
It's really worth it to start like that because you learn to use the program and you see the parts quite close up which will give you some guidelines in regards to artstyle and technique and you can see your success very well which will keep you from getting frustrated.

I hope that might help you a bit.
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

sarducardun

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 11:48:55 PM »

I contemplated Kitbashing but with the sheer volume of 'bashes out there I decided against it. I should probably do at least one for the experience, since I will probably end up 'bashing my own ships later.

The product of 30 mins work:
Spoiler
[close]
I was working in the background layer and used the Kahn palette for a Sarducar ship. But other than that it is pretty good, turn the background black and the guns are barely visible but for a first go I am happy.

Edit: resolved
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:35:19 AM by sarducardun »

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 12:09:27 AM »

You have to put them on a image hosting service like http://imgur.com/

sarducardun

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 08:44:39 AM »

First potential sprite. Not overly happy with the blue or the near-black, near-invisible in space, guns.
Spoiler
[close]
The clear serrations on the bottom of the wings aren't great either.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 03:00:53 AM by sarducardun »

sarducardun

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 05:34:31 AM »

A Kahn PD fighter, very W.I.P.
Spoiler
[close]
How do you guys go about blurring the edges? I can see on sprites the low-opacity edging but how do you do that? especially for big sprites. Do you work in huge sizes and scale down, letting the program smooth it out for you?  Do any of you do fighters by hand?
I have tried this and keep getting blurred edges instead of smooth curves.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 05:36:05 AM by sarducardun »

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 07:06:38 AM »

Personally i do it by hand with the eraser tool. Not as laborious as it sound, if you can adjust the sensibility of your mouse it help for precise modification. You can also adjust the opacity of the eraser, it's very handy.

For your sprite, it's very, very dark. Gray doesn't work very well with Starsector as the ships will blend with the background. Either you make them bright enough to be seen, either you add a slight color taint or light dots. Also there is still the white background behind it that you should fix.

sarducardun

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 04:38:58 AM »

I'm coming back, kinda, I've still got exams coming up but i have a bit of time to use. I'm doing a whole mindset/idea revamp with smooth white ships and glowing orbs for weapons and engines. My first problem this time around is Gimp 2.0 doesn't do circle 10's, the size of a vanilla small mounts, going 1 size either way will decentralises weapons on the mounts. Urgh and upon trying various ways of solving the issue I have failed and got annoyed at Gimp. Time for a tech upgrade on the cheap or preferably free?

updating OP.