Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: let the ship Logistics cost include basic crew cost to operate ship too  (Read 5031 times)

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Right now you can see logistic cost to operate ship without crew - this number is useless as additional crew to use this ship will take big amount of logistics too and while you can calculate this it will be much easier to see logistic cost of the ship including basic crew to operate it. Also it would be very good to have logistic rating dependant on weapon slots used and hull mods installed. This way using different equipment player can choose weapons with lower\higher logistic cost for the ship and so on. For instance ammo-less weapons is less logistic dependant and heavy ammo-draining weapons have high logistic demands.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 12:26:23 PM by Vind »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile

I like the idea of the logistics cost including crew, though which value to include? Definitely at minimum crew, perhaps at maximum?

Personally I feel the fun/annoyance ratio on have different logistics for weapons is rather low - even though its a cool idea and realistic, I think it would be annoying in practice. It would add another meaningful choice to weapons which is good, but I feel its just a bit too micro. Just my opinion of course, I'm sure others would find it fun to have even more detail involved in ship designs.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile

Why do we need logistic cost for crew in the first place?
Just roll the cost for skeleton crew into the normal ship logistic cost and nobody will miss that stat. It's not as if any interesting decisions or challenges were connected to it.

Well, unless something is planned for the future. Crew in general is pretty meaningless at the moment. Maybe different logistic costs for different ranks or special types.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Including skeleton crew with logistics cost seems more convenient... I don't know.

Crew in general is pretty meaningless at the moment.  Maybe different logistic costs for different ranks or special types.
I do not want higher-ranking crew eating more Logistics.  That will push me to fire all of my veteran crew for eating too much and replace them with regulars.  Higher ranked crew from leveling-up should be a reward, not a punishment.

I would probably find Logistics cost that vary by OP used would be frustrating and a UI/fleet management nightmare, especially if I try to work with only the 20 base Logistics.  The closest thing we have to that is Automated Repair Unit, which increases Logistics cost of ship by 50%, and I avoid that hullmod like the plague.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile

Including skeleton crew with logistics cost seems more convenient... I don't know.

Crew in general is pretty meaningless at the moment.  Maybe different logistic costs for different ranks or special types.
I do not want higher-ranking crew eating more Logistics.  That will push me to fire all of my veteran crew for eating too much and replace them with regulars.  Higher ranked crew from leveling-up should be a reward, not a punishment.

Well, that would also mean further tools to manage you crew, of course. For example a manual promotion mechanic, choosing from various careers etc.

I think right now crew management is either a tad too complicated (unnecessarily separated cost) or much too simple (no interesting decisions). I'd rather it'd become more complex, the goal was to make you somewhat attached to you crew after all (iIrc).
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I like it that crew is no more complicated than yet another resource bar.  Worked for Star Control 2, even though it is another name for hull/hit points there.  Lets me focus more on blasting ships than micromanage a space navy.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile

Perhaps to alleviate some confusion for newer players put the logistical cost for skeleton crew after normal logistical cost in parentheses; possibly using the color associated with crews.

An alternative would be to have the in game tutorial/help pop up when you buy a new ship, but do not have enough crew to use it, and remind the player that purchasing crew increases logistical load.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

Tschudy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Perhaps to alleviate some confusion for newer players put the logistical cost for skeleton crew after normal logistical cost in parentheses; possibly using the color associated with crews.

An alternative would be to have the in game tutorial/help pop up when you buy a new ship, but do not have enough crew to use it, and remind the player that purchasing crew increases logistical load.
The problem doesn't seem to be so much that the crew's logistics cost is hidden, but that it exists at all right now.  One would think that the logistics cost of the ship's skeleton crew would be a part of what is shown when you look at it's stats in the shop.  Obviously going above or below the ship's skeleton crew amount increases the logistical load by a certain amount but if I'm running 50 logistics point in ships, it kinds sucks that the thing holding me back is the fact that the crew is eating up 9.5 points.

Metroidude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Knights of Reason

For what it offers, the cost of crew logistics is just an annoyance. There is no exciting crew gameplay elements besides a slight boost to maximum combat readiness.

I like Gothars' idea of promoting a crew and having one be attached to them. The crew is definitely a gameplay element that should be expanded.

Why do we need logistic cost for crew in the first place?
Just roll the cost for skeleton crew into the normal ship logistic cost and nobody will miss that stat. It's not as if any interesting decisions or challenges were connected to it.

I agree.
It's just an annoying burden on logistics. Crew should be included in the logistics cost for maintaining an operational ship anyway.

As Tschudy said, I agree that it sucks that the crew logistics can cost way too much.

Do the devs actually read these threads? I hope they do.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

? Albert Einstein

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile

Do the devs actually read these threads? I hope they do.

Hey there, have a nice stay on this board. Let me reassure you, as a "veteran" forum dweller, the devs read this threads and generally take any feedback seriously.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: let the ship Logistics cost include basic crew cost to operate ship too
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 06:40:00 PM »

Yeah, absolutely. Just because I didn't comment on something specific doesn't mean I haven't read it; I'd say I manage to read most of the stuff - especially in suggestions. About this in particular: I think it's probably a good idea, but I want to take another look at exactly how crew works at some point later on, so will take a closer look at this then.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 08:33:35 PM »

One problem I already see with this is what happens with the "making do" skill as it haves the skeleton crew level. Would the number of crew suported by the ships logistics be decreased? Remain the same?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Metroidude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Knights of Reason
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 01:17:48 PM »

Yeah, absolutely. Just because I didn't comment on something specific doesn't mean I haven't read it; I'd say I manage to read most of the stuff - especially in suggestions. About this in particular: I think it's probably a good idea, but I want to take another look at exactly how crew works at some point later on, so will take a closer look at this then.

I'm so glad to hear this :)
I didn't mean anything condescending by this. It's just that in most game forums, the developers don't actually read them or interact with the community. It's very impressive and commendable that you do. All the more reason to support this game and the developers behind it :)
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

? Albert Einstein