Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Holy Crap! Supplies are so expensive! o.O  (Read 11670 times)

JDCollie

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Holy Crap! Supplies are so expensive! o.O
« on: April 15, 2014, 01:33:36 PM »

Howdy all!

I'm a returning player. I haven't played since the game was named Starfarer and all supplies were used for was repairs. I've also installed Uomoz's if that's relevant. I've just got back into the game and holy *** is it difficult to make money. Don't get me wrong, I do okay in combat, but I spend pretty much everything I make getting my ships back up to combat readiness.

Any tips or tricks y'all know for making a buck in this harsh universe? :D

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Re: Holy Crap! Supplies are so expensive! o.O
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 01:45:25 PM »

Uomoz's Sector is considerably more difficult than vanilla Starsector.  Unless you join a very specific "faction" (which is really just a powered-down station in hyperspace) you cannot support capital ships.  At all.

You need to specifically select cheap, efficient ships (good CR recovery and low repair cost) or you will run yourself bankrupt and die.

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 02:17:54 PM »

Target pirates. target all the pirates, if its hostile to you already and you see it fly by, blow it up. if you outrange them their lack of shields or inefficient shielding will make them crumble away to you. focusing down the pirates in corvus does actually give you enough resources to command a fleet of whatever ships you want. the big thing in uomoz is that supplies are rarely dropped in combat, what is dropped are little bits of ship parts like flux conduits and what not, you can sell these at the trade post station. you probably noticed you can't trade with any other station unless you join their faction. but you can still trade with the neutrals so look for their grey stations they have one in basically every system. the other thing your going to get in combat is blueprints these are vital to turning a tidy profit if you plan on going it alone.

When you save up a little money from killing pirates and selling off their ship parts at the neutral station you should have an option that goes something like " purchase docking rights and autofactory use, 5000 credits" this allows you to identify these blueprints and they'll show you how to make ships, the important thing is you can also sell them which is important because you WILL get duplicates. the other option rather than selling them is to trade them with a bit of credits to the independants for a random one, this is okay early on to get more patterns but keep in mind if you trade in a frigate blueprint you will only ever get a frigate blueprint same goes for each class so once you have most or all of the blueprints for a class your better off selling the duplicates. primarily because the new blueprint you get from the trade CAN'T be sold or re traded meaning you'll end up with lots of duplicates that are entirely useless. What is also important is the blueprints you get are limited to what you fight, if you go after only buffalos all day guarded by one or two frigates your only going to get low tech pirate destroyers and frigates. this isn't too bad because you can get cerberus, foxhounds, hounds, lashers, enforcers that way but you'll eventually have to move onto bigger game, such as cruisers and capitals. a single capital blueprint can be worth quite a lot of credits.

the way i do it is to go with a frigate fleet supported by one or two destroyers, when you get to the big time ( versus other factions than pirates with proper capital ships) thats the only time you should escalate your fleet up to cruisers and capitals. that said it also comes down to your skills as well as your character skills, if you invest heavily in Tech your fleet is less likely to screw up and die on you in stupid ways, i say less likely because you'll always have that stupid pilot that decides he needs to sit next to the cruiser that has 10 hp left and is on fire. the reason for this is because skills in tech ( minus gunnery) benefit your entire fleet not just your own ship, be it extra armor, extra OP, extra speed, extra flux vent and flux capacity and Tech contains the most hullmod unlocks as well which obviously contribute their own benefits to your whole fleet.

If you have the piloting skills yourself to stay alive through most situations than combat skills may be where you want to invest instead, because those skills benefit you and only you ( with a few exceptions such as hullmod unlocks and the lvl 10 optimized assembly)

so overall you need to decide if you want to go it alone or go it with a fleet backing you up and then if you want to keep the power focused on you or distribute it among the fleet, if you go with the fleet option i also recommend putting skills into leadership because you'll always want to grow your fleet.

As for that powered down station in my opinion it should be left alone until your ready for it, what it does is make every single faction your enemy, however it turns you into the leader of your own faction and your fleets will be comprised of any ships you have the blueprint unlocked for. but if you don't have decent ships for your fleets to use such as capitals and cruisers they will be the joke of the sector as the other factions just roll over them and then you and then you'll be stuck in a repeated death spiral unless your really good at piloting because there is no way to undo the faction changes short of reloading a save from before you activate the station.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 02:19:55 PM by Doom101 »
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

JDCollie

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 04:21:55 PM »

Thanks for the replies! It's good to know that the mod is designed to be this difficult and that I'm not just horribly mismanaging something :)

LoneWolf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 07:07:50 PM »

I am currently using a capitol ship (conquest class battlecruiser) for my main ship an i'm telling you, it's very possible to support it, just make sure you keep fighting and collecting more and more CR, the way I do it is to also have the huge freightliner ship (atlas class) with 2000 or so cargo space, it doesn't require a lot of upkeep and can hold a TON of stuff, which basically changes the perspective and you can travel for longer without having to worry about running out, what i am planning to do is to make lots of stuff, any surplus i will drop off at the abandoned storage facility, should be a backup base while i'm in that system.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 09:22:07 PM »

LoneWolf, DarkRevenant was talking about Uomoz's Sector (a total conversion mod) when he said you can't support capital ships.

Uomoz's Sector is considerably more difficult than vanilla Starsector.  Unless you join a very specific "faction" (which is really just a powered-down station in hyperspace) you cannot support capital ships.  At all.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 06:52:24 AM »

maybe a lone conquest with character and ordinance built for max speed to chase down destroyers... You could get by that way, just getting by tho...

JDCollie

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 01:36:03 PM »

So, one thing I didn't realize (and which would have helped me a bit) is that the "Supplies per Day" in a ship's Codex info isn't actually how many supplies that ship will use per day, but rather then number of supplies per day that ship consumes while recovering CR. I still don't have a solid grasp of how supply usage is calculated for a fleet in peak CR condition. (I should probably go read the manual or something >.>)

Chaos Farseer

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 02:57:08 PM »

At peak CR, a ship only consumes 10% of it's supplies per day. It still has it's full impact on Logistics, though.

Don't recall where to find that out.

JDCollie

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 03:40:05 PM »

At peak CR, a ship only consumes 10% of it's supplies per day. It still has it's full impact on Logistics, though.

Very good to know, thanks!

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 05:24:23 PM »

I find the Supplies/day (aptly named Logistics) stat in the ship to be the determining factor for a crewless ship to occupy logistics space. Marines consume more logistics and supplies than crew, but I'll leave the figuring out of ratios to the others. I said what I need to say.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 06:28:05 PM »

1 Supply/Day = 1 Logistics
100 Crew = 1 Logistics
50 Marines = 1 Logistics

Making Do is quite important for capital ships.  The best logistics improvements from the Making Do perk are the Lasher (7% reduction), Enforcer (7% reduction), Tarsus (7% reduction), Dominator (10% reduction), and Onslaught (13% reduction).

JDCollie

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 10:41:22 AM »

I think I understand how these supply thingies are working. (yes, I'm slow, so sue me)

( (Deployment CR cost * 100) / (CR Recovery Rate * 100) ) * Supplies Per Day = Deployment cost in supplies (to full CR recovery), excluding any repairs.

So an Eagle would cost:
( (.12 * 100) / (.03 * 100) * 8 = 32 Supplies per deployment

And an Onslaught:
( (.12 *100) / (.02 * 100) ) * 15 = 90

After looking through the vanilla ships, I can see why they're rarely fielded in Uomoz; they're prohibitively expensive to run. Just setting foot on the battlefield is enough to cripple a weaker wallet, and actually taking hull damage will slide even a very lucrative battle into the red.  :-[

On the plus side, there are a number of mod ships which have fieldable logistics profiles, but even still, a full fleet of such ships does not seem like much of an option.

Jerry

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 07:00:50 AM »

Yep, they are. But it really isn't a problem to have enough, provided you don't die.

When you've defeated a ship/fleet, you can actually just take all the supplies, more than you can carry. carrying over-capacity does increase the risk of accidents and malfunction, so you have to watch out.

Point is, take all the supplies, fly straight to base without dawdling, sell overage of supplies for massive profit.

On average, I'm raking in 10-20,000 credits per battle at the moment.

Tschudy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 07:55:31 AM »

Yep, they are. But it really isn't a problem to have enough, provided you don't die.

When you've defeated a ship/fleet, you can actually just take all the supplies, more than you can carry. carrying over-capacity does increase the risk of accidents and malfunction, so you have to watch out.

Point is, take all the supplies, fly straight to base without dawdling, sell overage of supplies for massive profit.

On average, I'm raking in 10-20,000 credits per battle at the moment.

Its different in the mod OP is using.  In Uomoz's mod, you're lucky to see 20 boxes of supplies at the end a fight.  Makes one wonder how they even got 5 feet away from port without running out of supplies.
Pages: [1] 2