Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: FTL: CE  (Read 7473 times)

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
FTL: CE
« on: April 10, 2014, 08:42:52 AM »

Any of you guys play FTL? Y'all know how AE (Advanced Edition, free expansion) was released a little while ago? zoidberg Why not Captain's Edition? A mod that expands upon what is put in place by AE. More guns, more events, more augments, more pewpew, more FTL.

Personally, I'm using CE Infinite which drags the game out substantially for a game to be played over several hours (if successful) instead of 40 minutes. I got pretty lucky early on, a derelict ship yielded a Burst Laser IV while the next store I docked at was selling the Maul. Traded all my starting weapons for the Maul and invested heavily in weapons. The Maul is a 5-damage (meaning it always pierces shields and wrecks unshielded ships) beam that also has a considerable chance to breach the hull, however it's beam length is about a pixel long to stop you crossing rooms with it. Since then, my ship is nearly fully upgraded and I still have SO MUCH SCRAP. Those upgrades are off the charts because of the larger scale of playing. Another thing is that with CE Infinite, you can jump "sideways". Meaning instead of reaching Sector 5 with your stock weapons because no store has been selling weapons you want or have been out of your price range, you can go from Sector 1 to another Sector 1 until you're ready to move into Sector 2 levels of difficulty. Advancing closer to the Federation Base also uses 10 fuel and as you can see, I'm somewhat lacking in fuel and regularly run out, forcing me to sit still and use distress beacons. Oh and check this out. If you've played FTL:AE, you should know what that first augment is. I can deploy it in any fight for the low low cost of 4-5 missiles. And I have so many missiles.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: FTL: CE
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 09:44:32 AM »

F$$king Stealth B..... just failed a run in sector 5 that had been going sooo well :(

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 11:19:53 AM »

I've yet to unlock the Type B Stealth Cruiser. One of the challenges is basically impossible while I have CE Infinite installed (reach S8 without bumping into a sun or asteroid field) and I haven't found anything powerful enough to dodge 9 damage from. Type A is hard enough to start in as it is, I can't imagine flying the Type B which is probably even more specialized into stealth.

Farlarzia

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 11:36:30 AM »

The stealth ship is incredibly hard to use IMO, and even harder to get the ball rolling with. I have tried many times with that, and always failed. However with the Engi ship, the torus, I find it very good, and easy to play with. trying out captains edition now.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 12:00:24 PM »

It's torture, but necessary to get my final unlock (Stealth C).

The early game is such a coin toss, and even if you get past it you're usually well down on the earnings curve.

Lanius B is my favourite of the new ships, though probably 'cos it's the most imba :D

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 05:10:54 PM »

I love you Silver
there go another hundred hours of my life

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 08:06:14 AM »

And then my like 6-7 hour long run ends in failure at the flagship because it hacks my O2 and it all goes downhill from there. GG me.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 07:32:55 PM »

I haven't played with them yet but I LOVE the look and abilities of the new race! ZERO O2 ship here I come!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 05:46:04 AM »

Annoyingly, if played in normal AE, both Lanius types will have a human pilot so the O2 can never be fully depleted. In CE, however, the Type B Lanius replaces the human with an AI hologram. Those require no oxygen but have half health and are really susceptible to crew killing weapons, let alone normal weapons fire. Good thing the Type B also has a clone bay and a teleporter. Vent all life support and prepare for boarding!

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 06:29:30 AM »

So this "Captain's Edition" is better than "Infinite Space" MOD ? 
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 11:46:50 AM »

Captain's Edition has an add-on called CE Infinite. It works like Infinite Space in that your run can be endless, but it works slightly differently in that you keep moving sideways in sectors. So you start in Sector 1, complete it, re-roll Sector 1. When you have 10 fuel stored up, you have the option to move up. Between the pain of ascertaining 10 fuel for when you reach the jumpgate and the ability to keep flying around, the upgrade prices are jacked up massively. Final upgrade on shields, for example, costs 800 scrap and is intended for when you're flying through Sector 6-8 difficulty areas when scrap is much more plentiful. Whenever you want, you can choose to end the run and challenge the flagship in your pimped ship which you've been flying for the past 5-6 hours.

CE is not compatible with Infinite Space, that is listed specifically in the forum thread. CE Infinite can replace that.