Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Flight Decks  (Read 14253 times)

hairrorist

• Commander
    • View Profile
Flight Decks
« on: February 15, 2012, 07:22:15 PM »

It would be really neat if we could add flight decks using the hull mod system.  They would, of course, take a large number of points, but it would enable us to refit a ship with drastically reduced firepower but with a fighter docking station.  Would be hella useful either when assembling fast fleets, or dynamically responding to situations--like capturing a large number of fighters after a battle, or to respond to an enemy fleet with a greater force of fighters but no flight decks.  More options would be nice!

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Flight Decks
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 08:57:36 PM »

i like this idea.. also could bridge that gap between 1 flight deck and 3 :P a mid range carrier larger than a destroyer but smaller than a capital ship and not a multi role cruiser.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Infinite Monkeys

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 04:00:11 AM »

Agreed!

Munchkin9

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 05:41:24 AM »

On this note I am hoping that the player will given a lot more control over the ship fittings. I'd like to be able to set shields to certain directions to (for example) put 180 starboard shields on a ship and fit it out for massive broadsides. You can technically do this with omni but it is a little fidgety and I am sure there is some disadvantage to omni...right?

Muffalopadus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 05:53:13 AM »

I also like this idea.  It could cost like 25 points and be limited to large ships, but it would add a lot more flexibility with your fleet.  You could strip down a destroyer so it had minimal armament but a flight deck.  That would be neat.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 08:41:31 AM »

On this note I am hoping that the player will given a lot more control over the ship fittings. I'd like to be able to set shields to certain directions to (for example) put 180 starboard shields on a ship and fit it out for massive broadsides. You can technically do this with omni but it is a little fidgety and I am sure there is some disadvantage to omni...right?
Mostly just that it only raises from the front, so if you are getting shot from behind you will have to turn around to use your shields. So you are more susceptible to flanking.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 09:11:27 AM »

Hmm, currently all flight decks are graphically represented on the host ship, would not having this graphical place for the fighters to land bother you in game?  Not a huge deal, but would slightly break immersion for me, pretty cool idea though.  I'd personally rather have a mini flight deck that replaces a weapon though, that way it could show up on the ship.  :)
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Subject901

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 09:38:11 AM »

cool idea but lots of art for the devs and if this was implemented why would we need carriers
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 09:42:29 AM by Subject901 »

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 09:56:44 AM »

I'm pretty sure they will add more carriers as well. Something between the condor and astral is desperately needed. And the Venture and Odyssey don't count.  :)  I mean dedicated carriers.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Kothar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 10:04:21 AM »

I'm pretty sure they will add more carriers as well. Something between the condor and astral is desperately needed. And the Venture and Odyssey don't count.  :)  I mean dedicated carriers.

Agreed! A cruiser with two flight decks would round that out nicely.

Munchkin9

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 11:43:45 AM »

I think some weapon mount like addons would be nice. Both for flight decks and maybe inefficient shield generators <-- strap a shield generator to the front of the ship and hope for the best. Or is that not possible for the engine to handle? As I know shield stats are part of the ships themselves.

Muffalopadus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 08:14:25 AM »

cool idea but lots of art for the devs and if this was implemented why would we need carriers

Well, the art assets could be fitted right on top of turrets or something.  They're just superimposed on the hull, so why not some little runways or whatever?

Carriers would be much more powerful than these jury rigged ships.  If the flight deck mod takes most of the points, then the ship wont be able to have many weapons or hull mods or whatever.  The regular carriers would have the advantage in that case, but they're more expensive.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 08:39:18 AM »

I'm ok with the number of flight decks around, I assume they're fixed for balance purposes. A hullmod to add an electromagnetic catapult would be VERY cool though, just to give your fighters a little kick in the ass on their way.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Vensalir

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »

Sounds good  :)

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 04:13:58 PM »

Well, I think that adding a flight deck should be more expensive for smaller craft, as larger craft could presumably accommodate an impromptu landing strip more easily.
Also, I am in favor of a cheaper hullmod to add hanger space to craft. It is not out of the question to assume that one could (at some cost) attach a docking rig for a couple small ships onto the side of a ship (again, cheaper for larger ships), that is used out of combat.

Also, fighter repair really needs a reform, as you can repair them in combat at record speeds, but not when out of combat. Fighter repair in combat, IMO, should be a quick-fix deal, and not fully repair fighters, or fully replenish the number in the wing. It should take longer if the wing is missing members, and the new members should be not at full capacity/ammo. If they wanted a better repair job or were critically wounded, the wing could always land again for more repairs. We don't want to have other wings waiting forever because the Talon wing needed 5 more fighters, but we don't want to harshly limit the repair job.
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012
Pages: [1] 2