Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32

Author Topic: Starsector 0.65a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 257893 times)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.65a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #405 on: October 25, 2014, 02:13:45 PM »

I think it's due mainly to the fact that every AI fleet has nothing but Green crew, who actually have a negative modifier with target leading, if I remember correctly.

In any case, every ship has green crew, so it's not going to be as effective compared a Regular or Veteran crewed ship.
That was before CR. Now they just set the limit to 50%
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

mike

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 25, 2014, 02:47:35 PM »

There seems to be a glitch of some kind the number of ships in the variety of them is much more limited than it was last version.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 25, 2014, 03:10:52 PM »

pretty sure that's intentional
mmm.... tartiflette

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 25, 2014, 06:49:26 PM »

There seems to be a glitch of some kind the number of ships in the variety of them is much more limited than it was last version.

At least there are plenty of tugs now!

I really like what the patch has done to the general tone of the player's financial progression.  With the end of the Buffalo Supply Pinata, combat for its own sake is no longer profitable.  You will probably need to buy supplies at least some of the time just to keep your combat ships running, and the addition of significant fuel expenditures and hefty extortions tolls means you now have substantial operating costs just running a fleet.  It's not at all hard to keep yourself in the black, which is probably a good thing, but it means the game is now requires you to actively look for sources of income instead of parking on top of the pirate homeworld and grinding through plunder fleets.  Having some kind of pressure to keep moving and earning does a lot to contribute to the game's survival atmosphere.

The limited availability of necessities in underdeveloped areas also helps with that, especially when it means you're periodically forced to make unscrupulous decisions because oops, you ran short of fuel and supplies in some backwater system and it turns out Bumfuck A is suffering from severe shortage and the only way you can leave is by cleaning out the black market, with a side effect of making the situation worse.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 26, 2014, 01:28:01 AM »

Trading seems kind of limited at the moment, since outside of the black market, it appears that only food and organics for to planets suffering from famine seems to offer the potential for profit. I mean, obviously you can get money from metal or industrial equipment capture from dead pirates, but so far my impression is that, say, rare ore will not sell anywhere at a profit, at any time. Granted, the trading system here is a first pass at the system, and the adding of the industry system some time in the future may well diversify the way things work and what can be used profitably, but that's my interpretation of the way things currently stand. Also, I think buying of commodities should probably scale with the number of items bought compared to the stock, so that you can't buy off huge stores at once at a cheap price because that's one of the things that seems to feed into the current #1 trading strategy of buying of all the food from a starving-prone planet and then simply waiting until it goes into famine, then selling it all back at a massive profit.

LarvaLounge

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 26, 2014, 01:37:07 AM »

Deploying everything at the start would be a bad idea; what you could do then is deploy a frigate, retreat, force the AI to stand down to avoid a huge CR loss, and then disengage because it would be unable to pursue after standing down.

I thought that the 'Harry Enemy Reserves' option solved the problem of enemy fleets under-deploying and retreating, for both the player and the AI.
Deploying a full force should not be a risk, due to mechanics already in the game, namely 'Harry Enemy Reserves'.

I'm still playing the previous version... maybe something changed.  Or maybe I misunderstand the problem.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #411 on: October 26, 2014, 02:36:38 AM »

Deploying everything at the start would be a bad idea; what you could do then is deploy a frigate, retreat, force the AI to stand down to avoid a huge CR loss, and then disengage because it would be unable to pursue after standing down.
Now that you mention it, what happened to the "can still pursue after stand down if recovery rate was 100%" thing?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 26, 2014, 08:29:14 AM »

I really like what the patch has done to the general tone of the player's financial progression.  With the end of the Buffalo Supply Pinata, combat for its own sake is no longer profitable.  You will probably need to buy supplies at least some of the time just to keep your combat ships running, and the addition of significant fuel expenditures and hefty extortions tolls means you now have substantial operating costs just running a fleet.  It's not at all hard to keep yourself in the black, which is probably a good thing, but it means the game is now requires you to actively look for sources of income instead of parking on top of the pirate homeworld and grinding through plunder fleets.  Having some kind of pressure to keep moving and earning does a lot to contribute to the game's survival atmosphere.
Later in the game, after a combat focused character gets high Combat and Technology, it is possible for a small fleet of frigates with the best equipment to kill nearly any pirate fleet and use less supplies (and fuel) than what is dropped by said pirates.  Until then, what Voyager I wrote is true.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 26, 2014, 10:45:26 AM »

At that point it's probably good that a really skilled player can do that - doing amazing things is what high skills are for, right?

Gorn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 26, 2014, 11:09:08 AM »

why you removed ships like tempests and apogee class??? cant find them

TheBawkHawk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 26, 2014, 11:14:17 AM »

They aren't removed, they're just a lot harder to find in the new update. Try looking at the Tri-Tachyon military station.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 26, 2014, 11:16:54 AM »

Trading seems kind of limited at the moment, since outside of the black market, it appears that only food and organics for to planets suffering from famine seems to offer the potential for profit.

Other stuff that's hit with a trade disruption can also be profitable, and depending on luck (and what trade fleets don't make it to their destinations) that could be anything.

(The price of commodities does scale, btw. It's just that not everything is on the market to begin with - you won't be able to clean a planet out of food completely, past a certain point, there just isn't any that's for sale, but it's still there.)

Now that you mention it, what happened to the "can still pursue after stand down if recovery rate was 100%" thing?

I thought that the 'Harry Enemy Reserves' option solved the problem of enemy fleets under-deploying and retreating, for both the player and the AI.
Deploying a full force should not be a risk, due to mechanics already in the game, namely 'Harry Enemy Reserves'.

I'm still playing the previous version... maybe something changed.  Or maybe I misunderstand the problem.

Those... are really good points, actually. Forgot about that tweak to "stand down". Added some custom text when it happens, and also made the AI deploy more at the start.

Your best bet is either the black market on the Tri-Tachyon worlds, or a protracted war with Tri-Tachyon (which will lead to bigger Tri-Tachyon fleets) and boarding. Getting some specific ships, especially the higher-quality ones, is definitely harder in this update, though.

Gorn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 26, 2014, 12:58:42 PM »

am at tri world and from 1-20lvl ships in shipyard all the time were the same, I think there is something is broken

mike

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 26, 2014, 02:33:31 PM »

Sadly I feel the same all the ships I been fighting for last 8 hours no matter the race was hegemony ships or Pirate ships. I'm vary sad. Hope you get some mods updated soon so I can get some variety in my fighting. And please fix your memory leaks

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 26, 2014, 04:43:16 PM »

"Yeah, so we're having a little food shortage here. About 100 units should do the trick. Halp, anyone?"
"HERE, HAVE 5,000!"
"Wow, thanks, good buddy! We'll totally buy fifty times more than we need at five times the normal price!"
Five minutes later...
"Hang on a minute, we're drowning in food here and we don't have any money left! It's totally that guy's fault, even though we knew how much we needed, how much he was selling, and the price he was asking, and we agreed to the terms. We should totally incriminate him for this!"
"IT'S NOT MY FAULT YOUR FOOD SHORTAGES ARE TOO SMALL FOR MY FLEET, DAMMIT!"
"Let's also add insult to injury by referring to him as a "her" in the report. That'll learn 'em!"

On a related note, anyone else found the best late-game trading strategy to be to simply ferry food from the Luddites to storage on Sindria while waiting for Sindria to have its its inevitable recurring food shortage, and once it hits just take the food out of storage and dump it on the market for massive profit?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 05:46:56 PM by Sordid »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32